What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

about the 4th QLD team

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Bro Bear said:
I would prefer to see the North Sydney Bears back in the comp at NSO or Gosford.

Yeah, simply not enough Sydney teams in the National competition at the moment.

Titanic

First Grade
t-ba said:
Slight Threadomancy. 'Brothers' is a moniker typically heavily associated with Catholicism. Which in itself can raise a number of issues.
Yep , that's true but the Bulldogs are the Brethren of the NRL if you look back into their history.

bondy064

Juniors
I think this talk of Brisbane having another team is a bit to much to soon really. Titans will suceed cause of the hatered towards the Broncos by many fans. You just have to go to their games to see that. But i think two teams on in South East Qld for awhile is the go for awhile. Maybe try to bring other cities into the league is the go.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
Brisbane does deserve and need a second RL team, however with the admission of the Titans I think this should be lower down on the priority list. The Titans need some time to cement themselves and their fan base.

I don't know what could be made of QSAC stadium but for some reason the crowds flocked there.... If Brisbane ever wants another venue to rival Suncorp, they should redevelop that site and give it a decent rail station/access. I understand it is a poor venue to watch RL at the moment, but the crowds the Broncs had there suggest RL could be a winner in the area. Who knows if Bris will need a 70-80k rect stad 10 years in the future? For any new club to forge a proper identity I think it would have to base itself away from Suncorp - so it didn't just look like a 'Boncos Mach 2'. It pains me to say this as I love Suncorp and know it means alot to Qld RL.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
parrawentyfan said:
Brisbane does deserve and need a second RL team, however with the admission of the Titans I think this should be lower down on the priority list. The Titans need some time to cement themselves and their fan base.

I don't know what could be made of QSAC stadium but for some reason the crowds flocked there.... If Brisbane ever wants another venue to rival Suncorp, they should redevelop that site and give it a decent rail station/access. I understand it is a poor venue to watch RL at the moment, but the crowds the Broncs had there suggest RL could be a winner in the area. Who knows if Bris will need a 70-80k rect stad 10 years in the future? For any new club to forge a proper identity I think it would have to base itself away from Suncorp - so it didn't just look like a 'Boncos Mach 2'. It pains me to say this as I love Suncorp and know it means alot to Qld RL.
I honestly can't see a scenario where the second Brisbane team doesn't play out of Lang Park. It's by far the best stadium Brisbane, very central and has plenty of public transport access from everywhere.

The Broncos played at QEII/ANZ/QSAC from 1993-2003. However, the only years that they averaged over 30'000 there was in 1993, 1994 and 1995 ie: Before the SL War. We started out well (averaging 43'200 in 1993) but after a couple of years it dropped down to the low-mid 20'000s.

At Lang Park since 2003 we started off in the high 20'000's and have increased our average every year since. (It's in the mid 30'000's now.)

Playing at LP has a lot of prestige for Brisbane sports teams, look at how every other sport plays there now. When the Roar and Reds have talked about going another stadium to play games (Ballymore) the public has been totally against it in both cases. Not having the second Brisbane team playing out of LP would be a pretty big public relations error imo.

Having two NRL sides playing out of there every single week would really be a boon to the sport in Brisbane imo.

Stats links:
http://stats.rleague.com/rl/crowds/lang_vn.html
http://stats.rleague.com/rl/crowds/qe_ii_vn.html

parrawentyfan

Juniors
I agree that if a 2nd Bris team was given the go now, then Lang Park would have to be the venue. Just thinking as to what could be the scenario in 15-20yrs if that is the timeframe for another Brisbane side. I also believe Brisbane is WAY ahead of its population in terms of its presence as a sporting capital. Thus ahead of Adelaide, Perth etc. As far as events and attendances go it is almost on par with Sydney and Melbourne. If Lang Park was 80k it would be full for Origin, Grand Finals, World Cup etc... Could it be obsolete in 20 years???? Look at how long the SFS lasted as the main venue, was it 11 years?

It's interesting to see the huge drop off in attendances at QSAC. It's obviously a sh*t venue to watch RL at. In 20 years however it wouldn't necessarily be the same venue. Look at how Lang Park and the Gabba were changed.

Not coming from, or ever having been to Qld of course it's hard to say of course. Just feel there is so much potential there. How would Qlders feel about the Crushers being reborn? They could represent the unrepresented Qld Cup sides of SE Qld such. They would not want neccessarily to be associated with 'Brisbane'.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
parrawentyfan said:
I agree that if a 2nd Bris team was given the go now, then Lang Park would have to be the venue. Just thinking as to what could be the scenario in 15-20yrs if that is the timeframe for another Brisbane side. I also believe Brisbane is WAY ahead of its population in terms of its presence as a sporting capital. Thus ahead of Adelaide, Perth etc. As far as events and attendances go it is almost on par with Sydney and Melbourne. If Lang Park was 80k it would be full for Origin, Grand Finals, World Cup etc... Could it be obsolete in 20 years???? Look at how long the SFS lasted as the main venue, was it 11 years?

It's interesting to see the huge drop off in attendances at QSAC. It's obviously a sh*t venue to watch RL at. In 20 years however it wouldn't necessarily be the same venue. Look at how Lang Park and the Gabba were changed.

I think looking 15-20 years down the track is probably too long, even David "Stability at all costs" Gallop has said he thought a second team would be likely in 5-10 years time. In 20 years time we'll probably be thinking about a second team in Victoria. It's a long way off.

I'm pretty sure that the QLD government isn't going to build/majorly upgrade any new stadiums for quite a while. I think they'll concentrate to keeping our two main grounds, Lang Park and the Gabba, world class.

The only chance of building a new stadium would be if we get the Olympics and we need an athletics stadium. Even then they'd be far more likely to build it in some Olympic precinct ala Homebush rather than upgrade ANZ.

parrawentyfan said:
Not coming from, or ever having been to Qld of course it's hard to say of course. Just feel there is so much potential there. How would Qlders feel about the Crushers being reborn? They could represent the unrepresented Qld Cup sides of SE Qld such. They would not want neccessarily to be associated with 'Brisbane'.

Dunno about that. Resurrecting the WA Reds will work because they're a team that is seen to have some unfinished business. The Crushers will only serve to bring back memories of the SL War imo. Also I think we'd be better off naming the team after a specific area rather than just calling it South QLD.

Also I just re-read my earlier posts in the thread and I still think that calling the team Ipswich or Ipswich-Logan (assuming we follow Gallop's plan to have the team appeal to people in the booming western corridor) would be the best bet. I'd also suggest to promote a team or two from the QLD Cup rather than creating another franchise out of thin air.

In-goal

Bench
I think that long term 10+ years the NRL should look to 20 clubs. The 2 confrence system has alot of merits especialy in a competition were balance is crucial.

I would think two, ten team leagues that don't have cross over matches to the finals. To try and aliviate the problem of clubs not facing off, perhaps the introduction of a cup competition that runs throughout the season drawing clubs from opposite leagues.

To ensure long term viability, it would have to take around 10 years to grow the league another 4 franchises/clubs. Stating were the clubs would come from or the makeup of the league would be the most difficult, however Brisbane can house another club it madness that after all these years they still only have one.

Just as a model i'll type up my preffered comp.

Conf 1: Conf 2:
Parra Souths
Canterbury Easts
Brisbane St.G/Ill
Melbourne Manly
GC Cronulla
Penrith Warriors
NQld Newcastle
Perth Bris 2
Canberra NZ 2

I think that's good balance a achievable in time

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
In-goal said:
I think that long term 10+ years the NRL should look to 20 clubs. The 2 confrence system has alot of merits especialy in a competition were balance is crucial.

I would think two, ten team leagues that don't have cross over matches to the finals. To try and aliviate the problem of clubs not facing off, perhaps the introduction of a cup competition that runs throughout the season drawing clubs from opposite leagues.

To ensure long term viability, it would have to take around 10 years to grow the league another 4 franchises/clubs. Stating were the clubs would come from or the makeup of the league would be the most difficult, however Brisbane can house another club it madness that after all these years they still only have one.

Just as a model i'll type up my preffered comp.

Conf 1: Conf 2:
Parra Souths
Canterbury Easts
Brisbane St.G/Ill
Melbourne Manly
GC Cronulla
Penrith Warriors
NQld Newcastle
Perth Bris 2
Canberra NZ 2

I think that's good balance a achievable in time

Interesting way that you've gone about filling the two conferences. I would've just put the 10 NSW teams in one and the rest in the other but your setup would probably work better.

We should probably look at who each club averages highest against too, if there's a way to find that out.

Personally I'd prefer we just left the comp in the one group but I can see a time where a conference system might become preferred.

Titanic

First Grade
With the fickle Bronco's now in bed with Redcliffe then a second team should represent South of the Brisbane River. This would satisfy the "corridor" expansionists and keep Bruno happy - although the new team could steal him and call themselves "The Mean Machine" (some of his Isa history there). Definitely the team should play alternate weekends or at least share Lang Park.

As for a conference system - not until we can substantiate 24 teams - 22 home and away rounds (12 in each), then top 4 of each play knock-outs (1A v 4B, etc) with the grand finalists playing first to win 2 games. Totally speculation but we were heading that way before the great fall-out imo.

Also if you put all the Sydney teams in one conference then they would be broke in a year - not enough cash to go around because they couldn't compete for the corporate dollar against one-city teams while splitting an already fragile fan-base.

Anyway just to kep the fiction rolling here are my 24 teams ... put 'em wherever you like ... lol

NQ, Bris 1, Bris 2, GC, Central Coast, Newcastle, Inner Sydney (North), Inner Sydney (Central), Inner Sydney (South), Inner Sydney (West), Illawarra, Canberra, Penrith, NSW Country1, NSW Country 2, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2, Adelaide, Perth, NZ1, NZ2, NT, Pacific Islands (West) and Pacific Islands (East).

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Titanic said:
Also if you put all the Sydney teams in one conference then they would be broke in a year - not enough cash to go around because they couldn't compete for the corporate dollar against one-city teams while splitting an already fragile fan-base.
My reasoning is that Sydneysiders love watching their own teams and that it'd generate more interest in the comp if most of the season consisted of derbies.

KING05

Juniors
Redcliffe has the provisions to expand to a stadium or look up the sunny coast, they just built a 12,000 seat stadium at Quad Park for there FOGS cup team (and other events) and looking to expand it up to 25,000 in the next few years??? I think the north side should get the nod for a team.

Titanic

First Grade
Lockyer4President! said:
My reasoning is that Sydneysiders love watching their own teams and that it'd generate more interest in the comp if most of the season consisted of derbies.

Good point but then we would revert back to a Sydney Rugby League comp and soon it would be "damn the rest". I am old enough to remember that set-up.

mightybears

Bench
if league ever goes to a conference set up they will split the sydney teams, but leave the traditional biff teams in the same conference [CC Bears will be with Manly, Saints will be in the same conference as Cronulla, Penrith with Parra, Easts with South etc].
Any other way and the conference that is non sydney loses re trad teams people want to see, let alone travel costs. Imagine if a future conference had 4 QLD teams, Melb, Perth, Canberra, 2 NZ's and Newcastle, never happen.

mightybears

Bench
XXXX Cap said:
Yeah, simply not enough Sydney teams in the National competition at the moment.

They'd be a non Sydney team, with a heritage and tradition that drags the Bears faithful along, in the area of Australia that is the 2nd fastest growing re population. Prime league territory as well-within travelling distance of Sydney and Newc for home and away fans.

CC Bears, Perth, 2nd NZ, 3rd SE Qld are the only 4 markets that have, the crowd support/popluation & infrastructure/corporate support big and small to make it financially sucessful long term.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
mightybears said:
They'd be a non Sydney team, with a heritage and tradition that drags the Bears faithful along, in the area of Australia that is the 2nd fastest growing re population. Prime league territory as well-within travelling distance of Sydney and Newc for home and away fans.

CC Bears, Perth, 2nd NZ, 3rd SE Qld are the only 4 markets that have, the crowd support/popluation & infrastructure/corporate support big and small to make it financially sucessful long term.
Adelaide and a 5th QLD team would both be successful but now we're just getting ahead of ourselves.

In-goal

Bench
I think the NRL would be silly to go past 20 clubs, but if they develop the game in other countries with proceeds from the WC then in 10-15 years the player pool will increase.

In-goal said:
I think the NRL would be silly to go past 20 clubs, but if they develop the game in other countries with proceeds from the WC then in 10-15 years the player pool will increase.

But the question is will the World Cup make a profit.
Country footy needs cash injected into badly before it dies and before they start investing in other countries.

In-goal

Bench
Originally Posted by In-goal

But the question is will the World Cup make a profit.
Country footy needs cash injected into badly before it dies and before they start investing in other countries.

I think the WC will turn a large proffit, simply on the back of ticket sales at the moment. I expect all QLD matches to sellout, plus all the super group matches.

I think the WC can make around 15-20 million no bull.
TV
Tickets
Sponsors
Merchandise