What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC/DC's Brian Johnson forced to quit touring on doctor's orders

GongPanther

Referee
AC/DC's Brian Johnson forced to quit touring on doctor's orders
After decades of loud performances, Brian Johnson is forced to stay off stage to protect his hearing.

AC/DC's late career rollercoaster continues with flat-capped lead singer Brian Johnson being forced to quit the band on doctor's orders.

Johnson, 68, risked going totally deaf if he continued.

AC/DC's label, Alberts, issued a statement saying 10 dates on the band's US leg of the huge Rock or Bust world tour would have to be rescheduled - presumably while a replacement singer is confirmed and learns a huge back catalogue of vocally-demanding songs.

The statement said: "AC/DC are forced to reschedule the 10 upcoming dates on the U.S. leg of their Rock or Bust World Tour. AC/DC's lead singer, Brian Johnson, has been advised by doctors to stop touring immediately or risk total hearing loss.

"Tomorrow's show in Atlanta through Madison Square Garden in New York, NY in early April will be made up later in the year, likely with a guest vocalist."

The shock announcement comes six months after long-time drummer Phil Rudd was arrested on drugs and 'threatening to kill' charges and sentenced to home detention in New Zealand. Two years ago founding guitarist Malcolm Young left the band suffering dementia.

Despite the upheavals, the band's 17th studio album, Rock or Bust topped the charts in 12 countries, including Australia and led to the band again being booked to headline big international music festivals.

Johnson isn't a founding member of AC/DC, but he's still an essential one. In 1980 he was picked to replace cult AC/DC frontman Bon Scott who had died from acute alcohol poisoning. Johnson was immeditaley enormously successful, performing lead vocals on Back in Black, which is still the band's most popular album and one of top-selling albums by any artist.

Despite this Johnson remained forever second choice in the minds of diehard Bon Scott fans.

While many will draw the obvious conclusion that Johnson's hearing loss is a result of playing with the hard-rocking band, the singer said otherwise on The Howard Stern Show last year: "I've got hearing loss in my left ear," he told Stern" [But] I didn't get it from music. I got it from sitting in a racecar for too long without ear plugs.

"I heard my eardrum burst because I forgot to put my plugs in under my helmet. That's how it happened.

"Music had nothing to do with it ... I was dizzy, my middle ear had gone, and I took my helmet off and there was blood coming out and I'd burst my eardrum."

Without three long-time members of the five-piece touring act, the question 'what now for AC/DC?' hangs heavily on the minds of devoted fans. On AC/DC's official Facebook page the fans were split over the likelihood of continuing without Johnson.

Fan David Scala summed up the feelings of many of his peers by posting: "No Brian, no AC/DC. Don't do it boys, don't become a slave to the record companies to cash in...you play when your band is ready. No Mal, no Phil, no Brian damnnnnnn."

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...08-gndcfj.html

Horrie Is God

First Grade
How lucky were Angus & Malcolm that when Bon died they were able to find a singer that was almost identical, voice wise?!..

Bon will always be my favourite ACDC singer, but Brian was a bloody good replacement..

Nuke

Staff member
I'm afraid adamkungl speaks wisely. I love AC/DC, and have seen them live 3 times (including both Perth gigs a few months ago), and would love to see them live again ... but no Malcolm Young, no Phil Rudd, and now no Brian Johnson?

They got very lucky when Bon went to pick up someone like Brian as a singer. He brought something different to the table and didn't pretend to be a Bon Scott replica ... yet could belt out his songs live for 35 years or so. I can't see them being so lucky a 2nd time unfortunately.

AC/DC, you rocked and we salute you for it ... but I think this might be the siren for fulltime for them.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yep, time to retire I reckon. That said if Barnesey stepped in to do the remaining tour dates that have already been booked I think he'd do a good job, but after that, I'd pack it in. They've earned it.

Nuke

Staff member
Did anyone else over the weekend see that Axl Rose is reported to be in the mix to finish off the AC/DC tour?

I'm sure he's got the voice to pull it off, but Axl? Really?!

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
Acdc are a rubbish band for southern cross tattoo bogans. The fact there might be an expiry date in sight is wonderful news for everyone.

grouch

First Grade
Acdc are a rubbish band for southern cross tattoo bogans. The fact there might be an expiry date in sight is wonderful news for everyone.

Their last world tour made US$441 million. I'm sure southern cross tattoo boagans are responsible for all that

Nuke

Staff member
No, neither am I. It'd be an interesting concert to go to though!
And you'd hope it'd only be for the remainder of this world tour.

Like I said in a previous post earlier in this thread, as much as I love AC/DC, I really feel this should be their final whistle. Their tap on the shoulder.
They lost one awesome front man way too early, and somehow managed to recruit another (completely different) awesome front man. He's now been told by doctors to retire. How likely is it that they'll find a 3rd awesome front man (who'd have to be totally different again to avoid unfair comparisons)?

For the age of them, for them to have been rocking as hard as they have (and as loud as they have!) pretty continuously for as long as they have, they've done so well. Really, in terms of longevity, it's them and The Rolling Stones (and I know who I'd rather go see ... sorry Mick, Keith, et al!), but all good things must come to an end unfortunately. Do it now and they get to keep their dignity relatively intact.

bileduct

Coach
I dunno, never really been much of an Axl fan but I think his vocal style would be really good for ACDC.

It's only for a bunch of shows to finish a tour, yeah? Meh, who cares. If I'd bought a ticket to one of those shows I'd be pretty disappointed if they were cancelled outright and these are obviously the people they care about.

Last edited:
Probably should have given it away after Malcolm had to call it a day.

I was a fan growing up but tired of them when I hit my 20's. Still, a sad day to see a band with such longevity have to give it away.

Latest posts