What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adam Blair

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
Without sounding like a hypocrite as I'm a advocate of always wanting the coach to blood juniors, Part of me agrees with those on the forum who say the juniors should not just be 'given' a spot, they need to force the coaches hand by their individual showings in lower grades and the other part is that the few juniors that have been given a go have not stood out, eg host..that's the conundrum, use what we've got and hope and hope we don't lose our forward momentum or add a tested forward like Blair (who IMO will be an adequate replacement for Packer). If only the coach would test Kerr or Lawrie the decision may be made easier.
McCrone is not our best half back, yet he gets s game each week. So why do people keep saying the juniors need to force their way into FG. That's not going to happen with MyPecker. Sorry McGregor!

MilanDragon

Juniors
Juniors have played first grade at the club this year or have i missed something.

Coast I think you missed the memo that says Mary has to play 8 juniors a game, giving them all equal playing time. Then dropping those 8 to bring in another 8 the following week just so they all get blooded, then reverting back to the first 8 the following week.

All this while maintaining the results and keeping the established first graders happy and not losing any of them to the club.

Minh

First Grade
I'd hate to say this because I hate the way he plays the game but the guy can really play, seriously skillful....

Sloth

Juniors
I hate his voice, it just sounds too soft. It is not how you would expect him to sound, just doesn't sound masculine enough.

j0nesy

Bench
Would be a good signing on a short term deal. Would give the younger props a season or two to make their way into first grade via the bench. We are in the market for a prop.

Old Timer

Coach
Not enough
Some interesting stats
Host played 4 of the first 5 games for 4 wins and was just getting some real good game time minutes and was dropped.
Field has played 3 games for 2 wins but his game time is 10 minutes, 59 minutes (forced due to injuries) and 7 minutes.
On the basis some say don't change winning teams I am at a loss to know what actually happened to Host so does that now mean Sele will go back for someone else to come up for a taste?
Field if not for the Sharks game has such short game time no obvious decisions can be made as to what he can or can't do.
Sele no doubt is being handled much better but his ongoing selection means no others will get game time and people still profess the blooding is going well and there is nothing wrong with it.

possm

Coach
Would be a good signing on a short term deal. Would give the younger props a season or two to make their way into first grade via the bench. We are in the market for a prop.

I'd say we are in the market for two possibly 3 props of which Kerr and Lawrie could occupy two of these positions if they are ready to play first grade next season. Prop positions for 2018:
Vaughan
New Recruit
Ah Mau
Kerr - bench depending on testing
Lewis - backup depending on testing
Mathews - backup

Backrow for 2018
Frizell
Thompson
De Belin
Sims - bench
Sele - bench
Host - backup
Leilua - backup depending on testing

possm

Coach
Some interesting stats
Host played 4 of the first 5 games for 4 wins and was just getting some real good game time minutes and was dropped.
Field has played 3 games for 2 wins but his game time is 10 minutes, 59 minutes (forced due to injuries) and 7 minutes.
On the basis some say don't change winning teams I am at a loss to know what actually happened to Host so does that now mean Sele will go back for someone else to come up for a taste?
Field if not for the Sharks game has such short game time no obvious decisions can be made as to what he can or can't do.
Sele no doubt is being handled much better but his ongoing selection means no others will get game time and people still profess the blooding is going well and there is nothing wrong with it.
Well we had 3 losses in a row and McCrone kept his job even though he had a poor game in all three losses.

Dugan was out and we did not test Dufty or Field at fullback and yet no replacement for Dugan has been recruited - Nightingale is not a GF winning fullback.

Mann has not been signed and has not been tested at fullback.
Field plays 6 in reserve grade and yet has not played a full game at 6 during Widdop's absence.

We all know the capabilities of McCrone and Dugan. I suggest we find out the capabilities of Dufty at fullback by moving Dugan to right centre. I also suggest we drop McCrone and put Field/Mann at halfback.

In the forwards, I suggest we go with a four forward bench for a few weeks and have Ah Mau, Kerr/Lawrie, Sims, Sele on the bench.

After testing, successful players should be offered 2 year extensions to their current contracts to ensure confidence and security to the players we want to keep. Maybe the following can be achieved at contract end:
Sele to replace Thompson
Leilua to replace Sims
Host to the bench

Kerr/Lawrie to replace Ah Mau

TomRedVRiver

Bench
As skilful a player as Blair is, he is not the kind of forward we need.

If we want to replace Packer and continue this aggression/dominance in the middle of the field, we need a powerhouse to partner Vaughan, not a ball-playing prop. We already have skilful forwards in De Belin/Sele and Vaughan even has a cheeky offload on him.
We need that big, hard-nosed prick who will just cart the ball up at 100 miles an hour with no fear. Blair is too flashy, he doesn't tuck it under the wing and run hard enough for me.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
As skilful a player as Blair is, he is not the kind of forward we need.

If we want to replace Packer and continue this aggression/dominance in the middle of the field, we need a powerhouse to partner Vaughan, not a ball-playing prop. We have skilful forwards in De Belin/Sele and Vaughan even has a cheeky offload on him.
We need that big, hard-nosed prick who will just cart the ball up at 100 miles an hour with no fear. Blair is too flashy, he doesn't tuck it under the wing and run hard enough for me.

Yes you're right! So we should have kept Packer.

What a mess

Coffs dragon

Bench
I heard it was Dave Taylor.
That sounds more like it ! Direct from our feeder club.....if it came from Canberra or passed through there then it seems to happen more often than not.
Taylor is certainly a big body that can find the line, only problem being it's off the paddock.