What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adam Goodes racially abused by Essendon fan in Friday night clash at Etihad Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ad...ected-from-venue/story-fndv8gad-1226923931141

Adam Goodes racially abused by Essendon fan in Friday night clash at Etihad Stadium, Essendon member ejected from venue

7 minutes ago May 20, 2014 12:49PM

ESSENDON has revoked the membership of a supporter accused of making racist comments towards Australian of the Year Adam Goodes during Friday night’s loss to Sydney at Etihad Stadium.

Goodes was not aware of the comments until after the game, however Essendon supporters reported the member, who was subsequently ejected by police.

“I commend our supporters for taking a stand and having the courage to report this matter to the appropriate authorities. If you’re going to behave in this manner we don’t want you attending our games,” Bombers chief operating officer Xavier Campbell said.

“The member in question has expressed his deep remorse for the incident and accepted full responsibility for his actions.

“His membership has been terminated and his reapplication for membership will only be considered after he has undertaken a racial vilification education program.

“On behalf of the entire Essendon Football Club, I want to publicly apologise to Adam Goodes for this extremely disappointing incident.”

It is the second time Goodes has been the victim of racially motivated abuse during an AFL match in the past 12 months.

Goodes pointed out a 13-year-old girl who called him an ‘ape’ in a game against Collingwood at the MCG in Indigenous Round last year.

Meanwhile, the Western Bulldogs Football Club has apologised to Melbourne defender Neville Jetta and his family and friends for racist comments made by an unidentified supporter in the Round 8 game at the MCG.

Bulldogs president Peter Gordon released a statement this afternoon explaining attempts to identify the supporter have so far proved unsuccessful.

“We were told that the abuse was reported at the time and that the perpetrator was monitored but due to an error he was not ejected by the security company. Subsequent efforts by the staff of the MCC to identify this person by CCTV footage, and by review of the ticketing records, have not so far proved successful,” Gordon said.

“Despite those attempts being unsuccessful we remain entirely satisfied that the racial abuse occurred and that unfortunately it came from one of our own Bulldogs supporters.

“As a Club, we apologise unreservedly to Neville Jetta and his family who were the subject of this abuse. We are ashamed of the actions of this person who by his actions has damaged the fabric and the reputation of our Club.

“We have no tolerance for ignorant racial abuse and we will continue to make efforts to identify this person and to deal with him under our supporters’ code of conduct.”

Jetta did not personally hear the comments, however family and friends sitting in the crowd did and he thanked the Western Bulldogs for their handling of the issue.

“I am disappointed for my family and friends to be subjected to these types of remarks and it’s completely unacceptable that these sorts of comments still exist in our society today,” Jetta said.

“I was upset that my family and friends were subjected to this type of behaviour and that it still exists within the AFL, as they (the AFL) have done a terrific job in educating society that racial vilification is unacceptable.

“This is an opportunity to educate society and just because I didn’t hear the remark first hand, this doesn’t mean that it is any less offensive or hurtful.”

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I dont think we need these threads copied here, this is for discussing AFL.

Threads like this belong in TFC.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
when you start posting about AFL football I'll start believing you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts