What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Addicted to weetbix at night

Geohood

Bench
I must say I'm addicted to eating weetbix at night.. usually 5 with some muesli and sprinkled with a spoon teaspoon of sugar... since I sleep around 12am usually I get hungry by about 10-11pm and need to have some... this is cause im guessing I have a high metabolism and feel hungry every few hours.

I heard that this is very bad for you, what are your thoughts? I just can't go to bed hungry or I can't sleep.

roopy

Referee
If you are overweight it's bad to go to bed with a gut full of carbs you won't burn off in your sleep, because they will be stored as fat.

If you aren't overweight it's not a bad thing to eat good food like weet bix at any time - but a lot of people say carbs in the morning for energy during the day and protien at night for muscle and tissue repair during your sleep is a good rule.

Geohood

Bench
What would you suggest to eat instead at night?

Im the type of person that gets weak easily without a solid intake of food over the day and need to keep eating to maintain my weight... Im 76kg 180cm with a tiny bit of a gut lol

Last edited:

roopy

Referee
What would you suggest to eat instead at night?

Im the type of person that gets weak easily without a solid intake of food over the day and need to keep eating to maintain my weight... Im 76kg 180cm with a tiny bit of a gut lol
If you haven't got weight issues - and it doesn't sound like you do - the weetbix with milk is a very good feed. It's a complete meal and is cheap. You'd battle to find a healthier feed for the price.
I'd ditch the sugar because simple carbs are never good for you, but the worst time for simple carbs would be bed time.

If you want to try something that might be healthier, something with chicken, tuna or eggs or a protein shake.

Geohood

Bench
Hmm ok maybe ill stick to the weetbix then, mainly cause it's convenient late at night. Dosen't it have alot of carbs though or is it the good type?

Thanks for your advice

roopy

Referee
Hmm ok maybe ill stick to the weetbix then, mainly cause it's convenient late at night. Dosen't it have alot of carbs though or is it the good type?

Thanks for your advice
Most of the carbs are low glycemic index carbs (on the box it will probably say "low GI" somewhere).
What that means is that they release energy slowly over hours, where sugars or high GI carbs release the energy very quickly, and if you don't use it, it's stored as fat.

The weetbix has lots of fibre, some plant protien, lots of complex carbs, lots of vitamins - and the milk has animal protien, a bit of fat, some carbs but not too many - so pretty much all you need in a healthy, balanced meal for a dollar or less. You could live on it 3 times a day if you had to, and probably be healthier than a regular diet.

Last edited:

The Joker

Juniors
The carbs at night before bed turning to fat is a myth so long as the calories consumed in total throughout the day is equal or less than your bodies daily requirement.

Geohood

Bench
I can't have my weetbix during tonsillitis cause of the milk.. :'(..
I need to go to rehab.. or I rip these little sh*ts out of my mouth with my bare hands!!

simostorm

Bench
look at your over all diet, go to bed earlier, take vitamins.. start working out.. instead of buying a couple of xbox games buy a bench press instead.. get in the fitness game.. do that and next year maybe you wont get tonsilitis at all..

Geohood

Bench
look at your over all diet, go to bed earlier, take vitamins.. start working out.. instead of buying a couple of xbox games buy a bench press instead.. get in the fitness game.. do that and next year maybe you wont get tonsilitis at all..

I already do. Maybe my diet and exercise was a bit down around the time I first got tonsilltiis earlier in the year but theres been nothing wrong on my part to keep getting it. The nature of the illness is out of your hands.