What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adelaide Rams

Zerô

Juniors
correct, Storm were a super league team. i have the very last Super League magazine, season wrap up , and its got a section at the back all about next year. Lazarus signing and shit

What could have been

125122_7774ac1e5832c26bc7ce1df5b644199c.png

I think from memory a fashion designer told them to add purple to the Melbourne jersey.. it would be more appealing.

Zerô

Juniors
Yeah Melbourne wanted navy and silver, but consulted with someone from Country Road, who advised them to add purple and gold.

At least it wasn't purple and jade. #jadepride

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Super League jerseys we’re absolute shit and that’s putting it politely

I liked the Reds SL jersey better than the NSWRL one. Too many colours in the original. Red and black with a dash of gold/yellow worked better. Design was boring though and whoever thought one design for nearly every team would work was a dck.
page-109

magpie_man

Juniors
Compared to the other major cities, Adelaide itself doesn't have a huge amount going for it but the surrounding winery regions and the Adelaide Hills are top notch.
I'd rank Adelaide ahead of Perth for this reason but still behind Brisbane.

King hit

Coach
When I think about it’s no wonder the Rams lasted 2 seasons

- Rushed in to make up the numbers with hardly any exposure to Rugby League ever. I know premiership games were played in Adelaide in the early 90’s but it doesn’t compare to Origin games in Melbourne or Perth’s junior base where there was some history

- Hardly anyone there knows what Rugby League is. I’ve met some people from South Australia and they have no idea who the Rams were or that there are 2 rugby codes

- Some poor crowds showed up besides the sellout at the Adelaide Oval for their first game. Support really drained up. They averaged only 7,000 or so in 1998.

- They hardly had any success. Don’t count the 1997 world club challenge as that is one of the biggest sporting farces ever put out on the Australian public

- They had basically no chance of surviving the cut even being a news creation. No club was going to merge with Adelaide. News even withdrew funding.

Last edited:

Zerô

Juniors
I think Adelaide will return to top tier sometime in the future. Just not as Adelaide.

They will be based, and play in Adelaide. But they will be called Southern.

Likewise with Perth, they will be Western or West Coast if they can get away with it.

Gone will be the days of naming franchises after cities.

ed-grimley

Bench
- Hardly anyone there knows what Rugby League is. I’ve met some people from South Australia and they have no idea who the Rams were or that there are 2 rugby codes.
I have little recollection of the Rams. Red/Blue? Did one of the Walters brothers play for them?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I think Adelaide will return to top tier sometime in the future. Just not as Adelaide.

Likewise with Perth, they will be Western or West Coast if they can get away with it.

Wot?

thorson1987

Coach
I'm trying to explore as much of Australia as possible and I'm thinking about going to Adelaide for my next trip. Just spent 6 days in Sydney which is my favourite destination. My dad used to go to Adelaide for work and he thought Adelaide was a pretty dull place.

If you go, make sure you head to Hahndorf for lunch.

ATOWN2

Juniors

It didn't work out too well when they tried adopting that in Super 15 e.g. Western Force. If a NRL team is ever established in SA it needs to be called Adelaide!!!

Latest posts