What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adelaide Rams

Zerô

Juniors
It didn't work out too well when they tried adopting that in Super 15 e.g. Western Force. If a NRL team is ever established in SA it needs to be called Adelaide!!!

Force are gone because the ARU is as useless as tits on a fish.

If you want to use union examples, Brumbies dropped ACT from their name and now claim over 1/3 of NSW, which was previously gifted to the Waratahs.

They also held the monopoly on Victoria before the Rebels arrived

Brumbies-Territory.jpg

kdalymc

Bench
Get this union shit out of the forum

It’s NSW, ACT, and QLD, and then they have a team called Melbourne...

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade

If you want to use union examples, Brumbies dropped ACT from their name and now claim over 1/3 of NSW, which was previously gifted to the Waratahs.

No offence, but that's not an accurate representation of the Brumbies situation at all...

From the very beginning Southern NSW has been within their catchment (at least in theory), it's always been their job to cater to the promotional needs of that region and (in theory) for juniors from that region to funnel into their system, not that it really means much for their fan-base though cause finding a Brumbies fan outside of give or take an hours drive from Canberra is like finding hens teeth.

Victoria has never been a Brumbies region, it was a bit like WA is in the NRL, it was an open market that any of the clubs had access to if they wanted to interact with it, the Brumbies were just better at capitalising on it then either the Tahs or the Reds, and that was largely out of necessity as their catchment of the ACT and Southern NSW was and is much, much smaller then Queensland or the rest of NSW.

Finally the only thing to come out of the Brumbies cutting ACT from their name was pissing off their core support base in Canberra, they saw it as selling out (and I guess that's what they were attempting to do).
The idea was that if they cut ACT from the name and as many references to the ACT and ACT rugby traditions from the club while keeping just enough to still be recognised as an ACT club by the people in the ACT that they would attract more fans from Southern NSW without disenfranchising the ACT fans, it didn't work, there's been no significant take up of new fans from Southern NSW cause by and large they don't care and/or they still see it as an ACT club, and it disenfranchised a good portion of their fan-base and pissed off almost all the others...

Zerô

Juniors
No offence, but that's not an accurate representation of the Brumbies situation at all...

From the very beginning Southern NSW has been within their catchment (at least in theory), it's always been their job to cater to the promotional needs of that region and (in theory) for juniors from that region to funnel into their system, not that it really means much for their fan-base though cause finding a Brumbies fan outside of give or take an hours drive from Canberra is like finding hens teeth.

Victoria has never been a Brumbies region, it was a bit like WA is in the NRL, it was an open market that any of the clubs had access to if they wanted to interact with it, the Brumbies were just better at capitalising on it then either the Tahs or the Reds, and that was largely out of necessity as their catchment of the ACT and Southern NSW was and is much, much smaller then Queensland or the rest of NSW.

Finally the only thing to come out of the Brumbies cutting ACT from their name was pissing off their core support base in Canberra, they saw it as selling out (and I guess that's what they were attempting to do).
The idea was that if they cut ACT from the name and as many references to the ACT and ACT rugby traditions from the club while keeping just enough to still be recognised as an ACT club by the people in the ACT that they would attract more fans from Southern NSW without disenfranchising the ACT fans, it didn't work, there's been no significant take up of new fans from Southern NSW cause by and large they don't care and/or they still see it as an ACT club, and it disenfranchised a good portion of their fan-base and pissed off almost all the others...

Im going to assume your a Brumbies fan and you live in the area, and it will have to come down to us both experiencing the transition differently.

By what you said, it was negative for you, and I'd call it positive for me.

Brumbies never had southern NSW as a fan base, catchment yes, but not fans. Waratahs made it their mission to bury the Brumbies if they ever crossed the border. Even queanbeyan was fought over.

Waratahs had been active for over 100 years, and had rusted on fanbase. Even today, my mates are 50/50 lit down the middle as Brumbies and tahs fans.

And Brumbies were very active in Vic rah rah circles, or at least when I was in the system. They we adored in the Vic high country, and this bled into the rest of the state. Help that they hated the tahs as well.

Now that they're just the Brumbies and don't have a geographical reference in their name, you now more likely to see a Brumbies jersey in Wagga or Albury, Goulburn, Bathurst and denny

magpie_man

Juniors
Im going to assume your a Brumbies fan and you live in the area, and it will have to come down to us both experiencing the transition differently.

Brumbies never had southern NSW as a fan base, catchment yes, but not fans. Waratahs made it their mission to bury the Brumbies if they ever crossed the border. Even queanbeyan was fought over.

Waratahs had been active for over 100 years, and had rusted on fanbase. Even today, my mates are 50/50 lit down the middle as Brumbies and tahs fans.

And Brumbies were very active in Vic rah rah circles, or at least when I was in the system. They we adored in the Vic high country, and this bled into the rest of the state. Help that they hated the tahs as well.

Now that they're just the Brumbies and don't have a geographical reference in their name, you now more likely to see a Brumbies jersey in Wagga or Albury, Goulburn, Bathurst and denny

Not that I hail from the blueblood fraternity or anything but I did spend a significant proportion of my life on the NSW Far South Coast and ACT right in the sweet spot of Rugby Union's heyday (late '90s-early '00s) and it was the Brumbies and then daylight as far as fan support went (which was still a long, long, long way behind the AFL and NRL).
Maybe in Rugby Union circles it was different, but the average punter didn't give two hoots about the Waratahs who, admittedly, we're rubbish in those days.
Anecdotal, I know, but my 2c nonetheless.

Brumbies-Territory.jpg

Better let the good people of Cowra and Grenwell know that a great rift now divides their communities.

Union destroys families.

The Great Dane

First Grade

I'd say I was a Brumbies fan, though my waning interest in RU over the years has almost nothing to do with anything the Brumbies did, RU has just become more and more congested, slow, and frankly boring in my opinion.
Somewhere in the early 00s a style of play was introduced that became the dominant style of play, a style that is more interested in playing for a penalty to kick a goal then going for a try, and it's slowly killed the spectacle in my opinion.

Sadly in my opinion RL is slowly going the same way...

It's true that they never had southern NSW as a fan base, not really anyway, and they still don't, changing their image didn't change that, all it did was erode the fan-base that they already had.

It's also true that the Waratahs tried to strangle the Brumbies business, and Queanbeyan was one of the battle grounds, one of the most bloody in fact, but it wasn't over fans, it was over juniors!
The Tahs felt that they had a right to all the juniors that came out of NSW and that they should all feed into their system, the ACTRU and ARU disagreed, the ACTRU felt that since at least the 70s they had been doing more for Southern NSW then the NSWRU, that like the NSWRL in RL, had become almost completely focused on Sydney and had a right to the juniors that were developed in that region cause of that, and the ARU needed three competitive teams to be part of SR and the only place apart from Brisbane and Sydney that was in a position to support one at that time was Canberra, but they knew that giving the ACT a license but only allowing them to draw juniors from Canberra would kill the club before it had even got on it's feet, so they backed the ACTRU and the Brumbies.

Once that happened the Tahs thought that they could muscle the Brumbies out and take all the juniors back plus Canberras juniors, obviously it didn't work, in fact it seems to have almost totally backfired on the Tahs and succeeded in only making the Brumbies stronger and further galvanising everybody involved with the Brumbies, from the admin to their fan-base, eventually the Tahs seem to have realised that, or that they were wasting millions on a losing battle, and gave up...

Yeah and in different forms the Brumbies had been around since at least the 1930s and they had their own rusted on fan-base as well...

Never said that they weren't, all I said was that Victoria wasn't "their" area, they couldn't claim to have a huge rusted on support base their.

The analogy that I used before is basically perfect, in those days Victoria was to RU what WA is to RL today, anybody could go into Vic and do things but it wasn't anybodies region.
Just like I'm sure that everybody would agree that Souths do great things in Perth the Brumbies did great things in Victoria,and the people in those regions were thankfull for that, but as regions they aren't loyal to either team and would trade that work in a heart beat for their own team.

Maybe (though I doubt that you are actually seeing a great increase in fans so much as you are seeing people from the ACT passing through that region or whatever, but lets just accept your hypothesis for the moment) but what have they traded to gain that?

They've lost a lot of support in Canberra and damaged their relationship with the community to gain what, maybe a few thousand more active fans in Southern NSW, and all after years and years of pushing the fact that they were the down trodden little brother from the ACT who was only allowed to play cause the ARU needed numbers, not cause they were wanted, and has to fight for scraps to survive while the Tahs on the other side of the boarder where the rich bully big brother that Mom and Dad tried to hand everything to on a platter (which for those that don't know wasn't just a narrative, most of it was true, but that's a story for another time), all to just totally about face one day and attempt to completely deconstruct the ACT patriotism in an attempt to attract more fans from NSW...

Who knows how many fans they lost in the ACT (TBF most of them weren't rusted on ones that showed up to every game anyway, but still), they setback their standing in the community years, and for that they gained maybe 5k active supporters in Southern NSW most of whom won't attend a game once a year on average...

It was dumb, really, really dumb, they went from having the ACT market on a f##king platter to pissing it down the drain chasing something that they were never going to get, if they had played their cards right a larger generation of kids born and raised in the ACT from parents born and raised in the ACT that is coming through right now all would have grown up to be dyed in the wool Brumbies fans cause the ACT was and is screaming out for something extremely rare that they were selling, ACT patriotism, that you couldn't get anywhere else, but they chucked it away in an attempt to appeal to everybody and succeeded only in appealing to nobody.

Anyway this has turned into a rambling rant so I'm gonna stop.

100%green

Juniors
The Super League jerseys we’re absolute shit and that’s putting it politely

Some liked them, some didn't. I have tried to collect all of them over the years. Still missing the Cowboys, Broncos, QLD and NZ Tri Series jerseys.

I know alot of people who loved them and they are somewhat hard to get these days depending on the team.

I thought they gave the jersey market the shake up it needed. The designs for new teams around that time were ordinary for the most part.

Diesel

Referee
It didn't work out too well when they tried adopting that in Super 15 e.g. Western Force. If a NRL team is ever established in SA it needs to be called Adelaide!!!
Agreed. There was an article written recently where the SA name was boring and had a bad wrap, and the proposal was to call SA, Adelaide. Therefore the city would be Adelaide, Adelaide, and the thought behind it was New York, New York. Obviously two different cities, but SA or Southern is too generic for somewhere like Adelaide

Diesel

Referee
Some liked them, some didn't. I have tried to collect all of them over the years. Still missing the Cowboys, Broncos, QLD and NZ Tri Series jerseys.

I know alot of people who loved them and they are somewhat hard to get these days depending on the team.

I thought they gave the jersey market the shake up it needed. The designs for new teams around that time were ordinary for the most part.
I thought the opposite about the RL jerseys prior to SL, they were iconic and simple, post SL, the jerseys have mostly been shit.

Dragons, Roosters, Penrith, Bulldogs and Souths have reverted to their Winfield Cup era designs and Newcastle have their iconic 97 jersey. The only club post SL to mainly stick with a simple, but easily recognised design is the Storm.

Perth Red

Post Whore
When I think about it’s no wonder the Rams lasted 2 seasons

- Rushed in to make up the numbers with hardly any exposure to Rugby League ever. I know premiership games were played in Adelaide in the early 90’s but it doesn’t compare to Origin games in Melbourne or Perth’s junior base where there was some history

- Hardly anyone there knows what Rugby League is. I’ve met some people from South Australia and they have no idea who the Rams were or that there are 2 rugby codes

- Some poor crowds showed up besides the sellout at the Adelaide Oval for their first game. Support really drained up. They averaged only 7,000 or so in 1998.

- They hardly had any success. Don’t count the 1997 world club challenge as that is one of the biggest sporting farces ever put out on the Australian public

- They had basically no chance of surviving the cut even being a news creation. No club was going to merge with Adelaide. News even withdrew funding.

Bit harsh! They never finished bottom of the crowd attendance league and bettered many established clubs despite not winning many games in their two seasons.

Considering the insanity they were born into I thought they performed well, on and off the field all things considered. Should have cut/merged/moved more Sydney teams, had an 18 team comp moving forward and kept Adelaide, SQ and Perth in, added Melbourne and we’d have been set for the next 40years. As is we will take 40 years from then to get back a nationl footprint.

100%green

Juniors
I thought the opposite about the RL jerseys prior to SL, they were iconic and simple, post SL, the jerseys have mostly been shit.

Dragons, Roosters, Penrith, Bulldogs and Souths have reverted to their Winfield Cup era designs and Newcastle have their iconic 97 jersey. The only club post SL to mainly stick with a simple, but easily recognised design is the Storm.

I agree that most teams have reverted back. And I do like that, however i think that kind of kicked the merch industry off a little more for Footy gear. Getting Nike involved (who after about 1999 really stopped trying with sports gear in Australia) brought in more manufactures and made them all try a bit more.

But I really liked the designs of the SL jerseys in Australia and the same fonts for the numbers, names on jerseys, players picking their number etc...

siv

First Grade
Problem is Adelaide need someone like the Jets or Bears to help build RL from the ground up

Travitoh

First Grade
Refer to the side as 'Southern' or 'South Coast' and have them play a few games a season in rural centres like Pt Lincoln or Mt Gambier.
Obviously Adelaide would be where the club is based but covering a region doesn't seem to hurt North Queensland.

Problem is Adelaide need someone like the Jets or Bears to help build RL from the ground up

How would that help though? While I'm not hugely against the idea, it would give the impression that we're just getting the dregs that Sydney doesn't want. A new club will give the state a sense of ownership.
The more SA sees RL, the more it will grow. The game here is pathetic but with that said, there have been a handful get involved in NSW & Qld Cup, with a few even playing NRL.
I'm not claiming for one moment that SA will ever field a competitive 13 but given the pathway and opportunity, i do believe that there could be a few players unearthed.