What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice For This Fantasy Squad?

Amadaca

Juniors
Hey guys,

I'm putting together a team based on the best players (& coach) I've seen in my lifetime. I started watching League in the late-80's (born 84). Can anyone improve my roster by adding anyone I may have forgotten? Any feedback appreciated...

1. Darren Lockyer
2. Greg Inglis
3. Mal Meninga
4. Andrew Ettingshausen
5. Nathan Merritt
6. Brad Fittler
7. Andrew Johns
8. Glen Lazarus
9. Cameron Smith
10. Paul Sironen
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Craig Fitzgibbon
13. Steve Menzies

14. Anthony Minichiello (pre-injury)
15. Laurie Daley
16. Shane Webcke
17. Bradley Clyde

Coach: Wayne Bennett

Here are a few names I considered, but didn't make the cut. Some I agonised over.

Ricky Stuart
Allan Langer
Steve Renouf
Brett Mullins
Billy Slater
Stacey Jones
Mark Carroll
Paul Harragon
Johnathan Thurston
Mark O'Meley

Amadaca

Juniors
Mate, its a serious thread, no trolling I promise you. Are you saying my list is THAT bad? Keep in mind I'm going from memory, so any help with especially 90's players is appreciated.

Amadaca

Juniors
Think I should make room for Spud? Or Chief? I do admit my memory of Sironen could be distorted by childhood. He seemed a monster to me growing up.

skeepe

Immortal
I think the mod who moved this didn't bother actually reading the thread. My money's on El Diablo since I'm certain he's illiterate.

skeepe

Immortal
Think I should make room for Spud? Or Chief? I do admit my memory of Sironen could be distorted by childhood. He seemed a monster to me growing up.

Perhaps. He was a second rower though was my point.

Amadaca

Juniors
Ah, my mistake, thanks. Yeah I don't really think it should have been moved either, but that's okay.

I can't pick Sironen over the guys already in my back-row (or Clyde). Will have to drop him!

aussie7798

First Grade
Ah, my mistake, thanks. Yeah I don't really think it should have been moved either, but that's okay.

I can't pick Sironen over the guys already in my back-row (or Clyde). Will have to drop him!

Dont like the backrow its all tacklers need at least one of kennedy or tallis in there if not both

and thurston in to play at 6 or wally lewis with fittler to bench instead of daley

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

Coach
I'd have Renoff at Centre, Ettingshausen on the wing, and Merrit out of the squad.

As for Prop, Webcke can start, put Petro on the bench.

EDIT: Just noticed you have Hindmarsh starting. Damn, I would probably just sub him out and put Ben Kennedy their instead.

Last edited:

Amadaca

Juniors
Thanks, guys. Tallis I found excellent on his day, but doesn't contribute on the level of my other back-rowers. Menzies isn't a tackler --- he's certainly better with the ball than Tallis!

Renouf was damn close. I wouldn't complain if someone favoured moving ET to wing to accommodate him, but I swear Merritt is as deserving as anyone. Its a crime he can't crack Origin.

aussie7798

First Grade
What i mean is that they will not tear a set defence apart they might run into holes but they wont run over the top of defenders

Dogs Of War

Coach
Thanks, guys. Tallis I found excellent on his day, but doesn't contribute on the level of my other back-rowers. Menzies isn't a tackler --- he's certainly better with the ball than Tallis!

Renouf was damn close. I wouldn't complain if someone favoured moving ET to wing to accommodate him, but I swear Merritt is as deserving as anyone. Its a crime he can't crack Origin.

Renouf makes Merritt look like a rookie.

Amadaca

Juniors
What i mean is that they will not tear a set defence apart they might run into holes but they wont run over the top of defenders

True that Tallis was better at that than these guys, but Hindmarsh was reasonably explosive with the ball & did way more defence than Tallis. Might be a personal preference thing --- personally, I value workhorse qualitiesover more explosive ones when it comes to forwards.

Amadaca

Juniors
Renouf makes Merritt look like a rookie.

Don't misunderstand me --- I'm BIG on Renouf. The guy was a gun. That said, you are kidding yourself if you think he's dramatically better than Merritt. Know how many players in ALL OF HISTORY have been season top tryscorer in a team which ran dead last? One --- EVER, & it was Merritt. Look at the sides Renouf participated in. His idea of a bad year was not winning the Minor Premiership. Renouf had the class to shine anywhere, but the fact is he never had to, so we'll never know. Merritt made gold out of garbage for years at the Rabbits. He's in Renouf's class (better or worse), no question.

Even without Merritt, Renouf is not a certainty when you consider Meninga & Ettingshausen.

Last edited:

Amadaca

Juniors
Gotta give Fittler the nod over Lewis. My reasoning is consistency week in, week out. Lewis didn't cut it at the rate Fittler did. Gotta be more than just a big-game player for this squad.

It may be controversial, but I rate Fittler, Daley & Thurston all above Lewis (again, looking at their season-long form).

Last edited: