What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL 2006 - Round 1

lockyno1

Post Whore
meltiger said:
Gotta admit, I thought they were atrocious on Friday night as well both ways, in the 1st half at least when it was still a contest. Didn't have much to do in the 2nd but boucne the ball in the centre :( lol

I just cannot understand sometimes how they manage to come up with some of the calls they do. :?

Maybe Pavilch should start diving, cause he is so ordinary normally!

CyberKev

Staff member
lockyno1 said:
Maybe Pavilch should start diving, cause he is so ordinary normally!

Pfft.

Would still be comfortably the first player chosen at Essendon also.

CyberKev

Staff member
Happy to get a win first up, but not happy with time on in the final term, with Freo getting 6 goals at the knell in junk time. Very flattering scoreline for the Dockers.

The Dockers were destroyed out of the centre, and Williams & Croad provided too much grunt up forward. The former is a very special footballer, and it was great to see the latter running them around at CHF, given the stick he was taking from Freo fans during the week.

Haselby, Bell, McManus & Headland all battled hard for Freo, but with Campbell on top in the ruck and Mitchell, Hodge, Crawford, Bateman & lewis all running amok, they were always up against it. Had McPharlin not been playing today (took some fab marks) they would have been a lot further behind also.

Special mention to the debutantes, with Guerra sure to be in the mix for pick-up of the year, and Birchall impressing with his composed handballs in tight and rebound running from defence. Roughead also sits dangerously on the edge of cuttting sides up.

We're certainly going to lose more than we win this season, but I suspect that sides are going to know they're in a contest.

CyberKev

Staff member
I'm not often one for praising Carlton, but it was a good win against the odds today.

While I dislike the club, I was happy to see the result, given that everyone had decided they were la ay down misere for the spoon this year, with many spouting the same "won't win a game" rubbish that they were airing for Hawthorn before last season.

I suspect the running at the bottom will be as tight as at the top in what already shapes as a fascinating season.

lockyno1

Post Whore
CyberKev said:
Pfft.

Would still be comfortably the first player chosen at Essendon also.

I'd take Lloyd and Jason Johnson and a few others before powerpuff Pavlich! Come on Kev what did Pavlich do today when his team was down! NOTHING! Great players go searching for the ball and win the game! Pavlich always likes the easy road and just get cheap disposals when the pressure is off!

CyberKev

Staff member
lockyno1 said:
I'd take Lloyd and Jason Johnson and a few others before powerpuff Pavlich! Come on Kev what did Pavlich do today when his team was down! NOTHING! Great players go searching for the ball and win the game! Pavlich always likes the easy road and just get cheap disposals when the pressure is off!

I can but assume you weren't watching the game.

Pavlich ran all over the shop (with Smith hot on his tail) and the Freo players (when they had the ball) either miskicked it or absurdly ignored him.

When he was put in the midfield (too late for the game to be saved) he got several possessions on the trot (against the run) and sparked the last ditch surge of Freo goals.

Wayne Carey couldn't have helped Freo today, and there's got to be serious question marks over the decision making and toughness of the side of the whole.

Nevertheless, Pavlich would still be the first player chosen at Essendon, as much as I admire JJ.

lockyno1

Post Whore
CyberKev said:
I can but assume you weren't watching the game.

Pavlich ran all over the shop (with Smith hot on his tail) and the Freo players (when they had the ball) either miskicked it or absurdly ignored him.

When he was put in the midfield (too late for the game to be saved) he got several possessions on the trot (against the run) and sparked the last ditch surge of Freo goals.

Wayne Carey couldn't have helped Freo today, and there's got to be serious question marks over the decision making and toughness of the side of the whole.

Nevertheless, Pavlich would still be the first player chosen at Essendon, as much as I admire JJ.

I watched the game mate. And frankly Pavlich went missing. He was good in the midfield. Question is why didn't he move earlier? Answer- he is lazy and can't be bothered trying to work for his disposals! As for the first player chosen at the Dons, Lloyd, Hird, Jason Johnson would all be chosen ahead of powderpuff Pavlich!

chileman

Coach
Sheesh, what a shocker of a first round even ignoring Carltons upset win....gunna be a tough one this year!

Glenn

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
That is the thing Lloyd did not dive. The frees were all there. Quite simply if you as a defender put your arm over his shoulder its a free. Whether the contact is small or large is irrelevant. Its a free!

Tell that to Barry Hall :roll:

CyberKev

Staff member
lockyno1 said:
Question is why didn't he move earlier? Answer- he is lazy and can't be bothered trying to work for his disposals!

Er, its not schoolyard footy mate, coaches make the moves NOT the players.

The Dockers were getting smashed out of the midfield, and Pavlich was running all over the place, but starving for lack of ball. Connolly had little proactivity from the box yesterday and one of the moves he should have made a lot earlier was to get Pavlich into the centre where the game was being lost.

meltiger

First Grade
LOL

Funny sh*t, I swear to god Kev is related to Pavlich in some way or another.

Brown got 8 posessions against the form team in the comp, Pavlich managed 11 against a bottom four side.

Yet Brown is the one he sledges, and even goes to the point of defending Pavlich?

Get off it Kev, just accept you are wrong.

lockyno1

Post Whore
meltiger said:
LOL

Brown got 8 posessions against the form team in the comp, Pavlich managed 11 against a bottom four side.

Yet Brown is the one he sledges, and even goes to the point of defending Pavlich?

Agreed Tiger!:D

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
LOL

LOL.

Brown was on some battling unknown.

Pavlich was on a dual All-Australian.

At any rate, I haven't sledged Brown, merely pointed out the hypocrisy apparent in the way he is assessed, compared to the Lova Boy.

At any rate, I know I'm operating on a lot firmer ground than you were is asserting that Thursfield could have handled Mark Williams :p Comedy platinum...

lockyno1

Post Whore
CyberKev said:
LOL.

Brown was on some battling unknown.

Pavlich was on a dual All-Australian.

At any rate, I haven't sledged Brown, merely pointed out the hypocrisy apparent in the way he is assessed, compared to the Lova Boy.

At any rate, I know I'm operating on a lot firmer ground than you were is asserting that Thursfield could have handled Mark Williams :p Comedy platinum...

Oh please Kev! Pavlich was woeful and thats a damn compliment to him! He was shocking!

CyberKev

Staff member
lockyno1 said:
Oh please Kev! Pavlich was woeful and thats a damn compliment to him! He was shocking!

The whole side was poor and badly coached.

Had Pavlich been moved to the centre or even into defence, where much of the ball was for the Dockers, his skill and creativity would have provided a lift.

Say what you like, he would comfortably be the first player selected each week at Essendon, and you'd be creaming yourself over him if he were in your side.

lockyno1

Post Whore
CyberKev said:
The whole side was poor and badly coached.

Had Pavlich been moved to the centre or even into defence, where much of the ball was for the Dockers, his skill and creativity would have provided a lift.

Say what you like, he would comfortably be the first player selected each week at Essendon, and you'd be creaming yourself over him if he were in your side.

He is so overrated! He does not do the hard work and powderpuff Pavlich would not be the first one chosen at Essendon!

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:

Absoloute tripe.

You couldn't get on fast enough on Saturday to sledge him to back up your argument of last week.

Should have waited until after Pavlich made you look silly yesterday ...

CyberKev said:

Rubbish again.

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
he would comfortably be the first player selected each week at Essendon, and you'd be creaming yourself over him if he were in your side.

James Hird would be the first player picked at Essendon.

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
Absoloute tripe.

You couldn't get on fast enough on Saturday to sledge him to back up your argument of last week.

Should have waited until after Pavlich made you look silly yesterday ...

Not at all.

On Saturday I was merely pointing out the obvious - Brown has down games where he doesn't impact upon games. The point was not to denigrate Brown, who I have always been a huge fan of, but rather to point out the folly of certain posters on here who assume that Brown can do no wrong.

Pavlich having a down game yesterday was irrelevant, given that he also has them.

The foolishness of certain posters on this site who overlook his capacity to play big games, however, is as amusing as it is bemusing.

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
James Hird would be the first player picked at Essendon.

In past seasons yes.

The same as Voss would once have been first chosen at Brisbane.

Both are now older players who are well past their best.

The Essendon coaching panel would love to have Pavlich and would choose him first were he there.

Latest posts