What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL 2006 - Round 1

lockyno1

Post Whore
CyberKev said:
Not at all.

On Saturday I was merely pointing out the obvious - Brown has down games where he doesn't impact upon games. The point was not to denigrate Brown, who I have always been a huge fan of, but rather to point out the folly of certain posters on here who assume that Brown can do no wrong.

Pavlich having a down game yesterday was irrelevant, given that he also has them.

The foolishness of certain posters on this site who overlook his capacity to play big games, however, is as amusing as it is bemusing.

Cyber, when was Pavlich's last big game, becuase the last time I checked they haven't won any titles! He goes missing in big matches!

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
Quiet day for Jonathan Brown who (unlike Pavlich last season) failed to dig deep and find the grunt required to lift his team in the unhospitable surrounds of Shell Stadium.

CyberKev said:
Pavlich ran all over the shop (with Smith hot on his tail) and the Freo players (when they had the ball) either miskicked it or absurdly ignored him.

When he was put in the midfield (too late for the game to be saved) he got several possessions on the trot (against the run) and sparked the last ditch surge of Freo goals.

Wayne Carey couldn't have helped Freo today, and there's got to be serious question marks over the decision making and toughness of the side of the whole.

Nevertheless, Pavlich would still be the first player chosen at Essendon, as much as I admire JJ.

If you cannot see the difference between your sledge of Brown 'Quiet day for Brown' & your love-in with Pav 'Pavlich tried hard all day' then you are going senile.

Brown had 8 touches, Pav 11

Is he a cousin or something Kev?

meltiger

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
Cyber, when was Pavlich's last big game, becuase the last time I checked they haven't won any titles! He goes missing in big matches!

He kicked 9 or something or against Carlton :roll:

CyberKev

Staff member
lockyno1 said:

In a thread chockers with ludicrous comments, this is comfortably the cake taker.

If titles maketh the player, then there's over 500 deadset duds running around.

Again... A player like Brown has played in 3 flags with an absolutley star studded outfit rated among the best in history.

Pavlich would have done likewise had he been fortunate enough to play for the Lions, instead of the hack Freo outfit that he has to carry on his back.

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
He kicked 9 or something or against Carlton :roll:

Meh, the Tigers have creamed themselves silly whenever Richo has kicked bags against struggling sides in past years.

Interesting that you'd run with the 9 against Carlton, as distinct from the 8 against the Crows who have the best defence in town.

lockyno1

Post Whore
CyberKev said:
In a thread chockers with ludicrous comments, this is comfortably the cake taker.

If titles maketh the player, then there's over 500 deadset duds running around.

Again... A player like Brown has played in 3 flags with an absolutley star studded outfit rated among the best in history.

Pavlich would have done likewise had he been fortunate enough to play for the Lions, instead of the hack Freo outfit that he has to carry on his back.

Great players win flags! Simple! Brown has won 3, Lloyd has won 1, Carey won a few, Judd won a pre season cup and got to a gf. Pavlich has done well lets see bugger all! Great players win flags! You can blame other players all you like but the fact remains he is not a big game player!

CyberKev

Staff member
lockyno1 said:
Great players win flags! Simple! Brown has won 3, Lloyd has won 1, Carey won a few, Judd won a pre season cup and got to a gf. Pavlich has done well lets see bugger all! Great players win flags! You can blame other players all you like but the fact remains he is not a big game player!

What nonsense.

I suppose Greg Madigan was a great player, whereas Ted Whitten was a dud? :roll:

Excellent teams win flags, and each and every premiership side contains multiple players of high quality.

Serenity Now!!!!

CyberKev

Staff member
lockyno1 said:
Judd won a pre season cup and got to a gf.

:lol:

I think you'll find that Carlton won that particular preseason decider, as Judd and his Eagles fell apart again outside of Fortress Subi.

CyberKev

Staff member
Macca_ said:
Crows to win today by between 1-39 paying $2.30. I'm in.

I hope you're right, Macca.

The Magpies look ordinary, but there just as likely to win this type of game.

lockyno1

Post Whore
CyberKev said:
What nonsense.

I suppose Greg Madigan was a great player, whereas Ted Whitten was a dud? :roll:

Excellent teams win flags, and each and every premiership side contains multiple players of high quality.

Serenity Now!!!!

The thing is that the Dockers have the side to be competitive but powderpuff Pavlich decides to have a sleep when the going gets tough!

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
Meh, the Tigers have creamed themselves silly whenever Richo has kicked bags against struggling sides in past years.

With all due respect, you make these outlandish claims about Pavlich and make huge statements about how he carries Freo and blah blah blah

Where has the credit been for Richo over the last 15 years? He has almost single handedly kept Richmond alive over that period of time.

As wonderful a player as he is though, does he deserve to be considered amongst the top 5 players in the game? No. Even though over his career his goals per game average is higher than Carey's and only slightly lower than Lloyd's.

Richo is the prime example of why ability alone should not be an indicator of a players stature in the game.

CyberKev said:
Interesting that you'd run with the 9 against Carlton, as distinct from the 8 against the Crows who have the best defence in town.

It was the one I remembered off the top of my head?

lol

meltiger

First Grade
I'll do you a deal though Kev.

Come Round 2, no more arguments about Pav/Brown in the match thread lol

I think we've well and truly hijacked the thread this week :lol:

I need tom concentrate on my tipping cause you're 1 in front of me :evil: Although the Crows should bring me back to level pegging tonight :)

lockyno1

Post Whore
meltiger said:
I'll do you a deal though Kev.

Come Round 2, no more arguments about Pav/Brown in the match thread lol

I think we've well and truly hijacked the thread this week :lol:

I need tom concentrate on my tipping cause you're 1 in front of me :evil: Although the Crows should bring me back to level pegging tonight :)

We should create a Pavlich thread for this year! This forum needs it!

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
Richo is the prime example of why ability alone should not be an indicator of a players stature in the game.

What more can a player do than play at a consistently high level as an individual? If the rest of the side is woefully flawed as Richmond has been (and Freo is), then you can't do more than that. When its 18 vs 18 in AFL, 1 player alone cannot drag a side kicking and screaming to awesome heights.

Had Richo been at Brisbane instead of Brown, the Lions would still have won 3 flags. Had Brown been at Richmond, they'd still have struggled badly.

Latest posts