What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL derbies

Which is the biggest rivalry?

• Carlton v Essendon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Richmond v Carlton

• Collingwood v Richmond

• Total voters

GBT

Juniors
Which is the biggest derby in the AFL. As a Tigers fan, I like to think it involves Richmond against either Collingwood or Carlton. Obviously those who follow other clubs will disagree. Is the biggest derby a Melbourne thing?

bucko

Juniors
I'm a tigers fan too, but i still think Collingwood and Carlton is the biggest derby.

CyberKev

Staff member
As much as I hate to admit it, the biggest derby would have to be Essendon/Collingwood. Of course, the people in Perth and Adelaide may justifiably dispute this. I think both of the non-Victorian derbies will certainly overhaul the Bombers and the Magpies... Sooner rather than later. We have already seen signs of a lot more fire and brimstone existing between West Coast/Fremantle.

Mind you, having watched the 'Heights of Passion' series on SBS, these rivalries are painfully small beer stacked-up against the big soccer derbies from across the globe.

CyberKev

GBT

Juniors
There's more of a healthy dislike between sets of AFL fans, it could be called hate. On a scale of one to ten, Collingwood v Essendon or Carlton would be a two against a ten for Rangers v Celtic or Boca Juniors v River Plate.

AFL derbies seem more like the Merseyside derby.

I'd like to think it was Richmond v either Collingwood or Carlton. In recent years the Essendon v Collingwood match-up seems to have pulled in slighlty more fans than Carlton v Collingwood.

CyberKev

Staff member
GBT said:
AFL derbies seem more like the Merseyside derby.

Yeah, I think that both the AFL and the EPL are sadly lacking for genuine blood on the turf type rivalries.

The SBS Heights of Passion series (thoroughably enjoyable fare) focused on four rivalries -- Real Madrid vs Barcelona, AC Milan vs Inter Milan, Boca Juniors vs River Plate and the Brazilian derby (the clubs names elude me). Of this grouping, the Boca/River enmity seemed to be chockful of the most serious head cases.

I'd love to attend one of the games, but full chainmesh body suiting might be the most appropriate apparel for such an event.

CyberKev

GBT

Juniors
Kev, although the Milan v Inter clash is one of the great derbies, families are often divided in a similar manner to Everton v Liverpool, that the fan rivalry lacks the level of hatred of most other derbies.

My choice would be Boca v River at the Bonbonera - with full body armour; or the Montivideo derby, Penarol v Nacional, that's a particularly nasty rivalry.

alex

Juniors
I think it is Collinwood verses the rest of the AFL basically. Collingwood and Essendon is my pick but it could also easily be Collingwood and Carlton.

Band On The Run

Juniors
GC v GWS, you could just see the hatred between the two teams on Saturday. The ultimate battle of two powerhouse clubs :p

In all seriousness it's probably Carlton v Collingwood. As a Lions fan I see Collingwood as our biggest rival, followed by Port, then Carlton.

Latest posts