What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL digs deep into rugby league turf

coolumsharkie

Referee
I'm not convinced that teenagers dabbling in both codes is a bad thing. Of course the risk is there that a RL junior will switch to Aust rules, or a kid never take up RL at all. On the other hand, playing Aust rules (or some Auskick sessions paid for by the AFL) may widen a RL players array of kicking and catching skills which in many cases could enhance their RL game.

In the end each footballer makes their own decision about what code they want to play, and it is up to RL to ensure that the game is the better to play.

Interesting example of a kid from Albury in this report from Tuesday:
Tigers invite Hall to camp
[URL="http://www.bordermail.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-league/tigers-invite-hall-to-camp/1429260.aspx"]http://www.bordermail.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-league/tigers-invite-hall-to-camp/1429260.aspx[/URL]

Darren Lockyer.

RL1908

Bench
Darren Lockyer.

In the 100 Greatest named last year, others who played Aust rules included Dally Messenger, Howard Hallett, Sid 'Joe' Pearce, Herb Steinohrt, and Laurie Daley. No doubt there are many others, particularly those from southern NSW including the Mortimers and Greg Bretnall, who played some Aust rules.

If the AFL want to fund school clinics in NSW and Qld to broaden and/or teach RL kids kicking and catching skills, then let them.

Noa

First Grade
In the 100 Greatest named last year, others who played Aust rules included Dally Messenger, Howard Hallett, Sid 'Joe' Pearce, Herb Steinohrt, and Laurie Daley. No doubt there are many others, particularly those from southern NSW including the Mortimers and Greg Bretnall, who played some Aust rules.

If the AFL want to fund school clinics in NSW and Qld to broaden and/or teach RL kids kicking and catching skills, then let them.

Add this kid to the mix. Interestingly 2years after the piece he played center for the Storms SG Ball team on the weekend.

VIC AUSSIE RULES CAPTAIN CHOSEN FOR AUS RUGBY LEAGUE TEAM
Tuesday 3 Jul 2007 14:45
by (Press Release)
Source: www.melbournestorm.com.au

Victorian under 14 Australian Rules football captain Cameron Hansen has been chosen in the Australian Secondary Schools Rugby League 15-Years Pool B Australian Merit Team after playing just eight career rugby league games.

In his four games at the recent national championships held in Adelaide, Hansen was one of Victoria's shining lights. He scored four tries for the tournament, including two against South Australia in Victoria's crushing 42-4 win in their play-off for third place, and was duly voted man-of-the-match.

Hansen, who plays in the centre, was shocked at his call-up to the national team.

"It was a good experience for me there and I really enjoyed it," said Hansen.

"I didn't expect to be chosen in the merit team, but I'm very happy I was."

Hansen, who started playing rugby league for Waverley-Oakleigh Panthers in their under-14 team because his friends were playing there, wants to pursue both sports for the foreseeable future.

"I'm really enjoying playing both (rugby league and Australian Rules football) at the moment," said Hansen. "I like both equally, I can't split them.

"I just enjoy rugby league. I have a couple of friends who asked me to play for Waverley Oakleigh this year so I thought I'd give it a go.

"I'll probably do both for a couple of years and see which one's better for me."

Asked what he liked so much about rugby league, his answer came very quickly.

"There's more contact in rugby league than Aussie rules," said Hansen.

"That's why I like it, it's different."

http://au.truveo.com/Cameron-Hansen-Rising-Star/id/718018868

RUNVS

Juniors
Add this kid to the mix. Interestingly 2years after the piece he played center for the Storms SG Ball team on the weekend.

http://au.truveo.com/Cameron-Hansen-Rising-Star/id/718018868

and if that kid makes it into the NRL it will dispell the myth on this forum that Aussie Rules players cant play Rugby League.

Anyway this sort of thing is common. Paul Kelly, Brett Kirk, Keiren Jack and Wayne Carey all have Rugby League backgrounds and they were/are good/very good Aussie Rules Football players.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
and if that kid makes it into the NRL it will dispell the myth on this forum that Aussie Rules players cant play Rugby League.

Anyway this sort of thing is common. Paul Kelly, Brett Kirk, Keiren Jack and Wayne Carey all have Rugby League backgrounds and they were/are good/very good Aussie Rules Football players.

Yeah I'm sure that hotbed of RL talent called South Australia really put the pressure on him :lol:

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
What does South Australia have to do with it?

In his four games at the recent national championships held in Adelaide, Hansen was one of Victoria's shining lights. He scored four tries for the tournament, including two against South Australia in Victoria's crushing 42-4 win in their play-off for third place, and was duly voted man-of-the-match.

Strong opposition huh :lol:

Noa

First Grade
I was half-reading that article, half wondering what grounds the Queensland selectors will use to declare him a Maroons player 5 years from now...

They'll ask him to finish off the sentences

Heres to Wally Lewis, for.........................................
Sometimes he plays it rugged, s...............................
He slices through the backline like a ........................
Theres glue on all his fingers, he's.............................

And if he wants to know what its like to be a QUEENSLANDER all he need do is ask

greg_inglis_try2_s3.jpg

Latest posts