AFL is not a game

Discussion in 'AFL' started by AuckMel, Jan 28, 2012.

1. doyen

doyen Bench

AFL players rarely drop an uncontested mark with kicks coming in from often long distances.Most top Rules players have superb hands--they must.
    Marking in a pack is different where buffeting can of course cause a missed mark.Forwards always have elite defenders whose sole purpose is to spoil their mark.The spectacular high marks display the greatest skill of any sport.
    Top mid-fielders run up to 20kms a game--athletes with superb aerobic fitness.They have many interchanges but these are almost always very short breaks--a couple of minutes at the most.RL players can only dream of this type of fitness.Even the fittest NRL players wouldn't cope with the long distances necessary to run.When GI was with the STORM they were trying to get him to run 2km a game to get him more involved.

AFL may appear a fumbling game but nearly always it is deliberate as a player has to avoid being caught in possession.The "fumbling" is a true skill of the game & if played well can attract free kicks as a player can't be tackled when not in possession.

The kicking skills are also superior in AFL---NRL clubs now using AFL teams to coach in kicking.AFL,of course,can learn some tackling technique from league & teams such as the Swans & Melbourne teams,especially,have utilised the league sides.
    Also in AFL there is no wasting of time with the games going for the whole 120 minutes.

The stoppages in RL for goal-kicks,scrums etc has reduced the real action dramatically ,with I think ,some games being reduced by up to 30 mins of quality time.ie actual play being only 50 mins.Lots of rest time for players & loss of entertainment time for the fans.There aren't too many seconds wasted in AFL.Every time the play stops the clock stops.

I love both games but the AFL is a more spectacular event;more open & less dour.
    I was born & bred on RL in the heart of Sths territory & have been following them for 60 yrs.
    Going back 18 mths I was so concerned with their arse-up,bash & barge style that I could barely watch them.Fortunately that has changed a fair bit in the last 12 mths!!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    footy75 likes this.
  2. THE CHAMP

THE CHAMP Bench

well this is a complete load of shit.
    please f**k off to big poofy.

3. mongoose

mongoose Bench

to each their own. Maybe cause i've mostly only watched it on TV but AFL seems too haphazard and lacking in strategy. Too much depends on the bounce of the ball. When a team can't score in League, its usually due to impenetrable defence. When a team can't score a goal in AFL, it seems to be due to them not being able to kick straight. The defence seems inconsequential in AFL.

4. doyen

doyen Bench

Defence in the AFL is very different to the NRL.

Rising above a forward & spoiling a mark;getting first to the ball to mark;putting pressure on by chasing hard;defence is far more subtle in AFL.

The spirit of the game is to keep the ball alive;a player can't be caught in possession or nail someone if they are not in possession.A good tackle has to be perfect timing to attract a free kick.
    A good attacking player can trick the defender into tackling him when not in possession.Hence you see what appears to be a scrappy affair with poor handling.It's not always the best option to grab the footy.The aim is to put great pressure on the opposition to create a turnover in possession.
    I see it as a very skilful & entertaining game--very fast;often lots of points scored;& often very close contests.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  5. THE CHAMP

THE CHAMP Bench

might want to double check those last four word buddy.
    totally incorrect

6. doyen

doyen Bench

http://youtu.be/NfSpjX82Ij8
    I have followed SYDNEY since they relocated from Melbourne.

Their first G/final win was 2005--SYD. def. W/COAST by 1 pt.[total 112pts in game].

In 2006 W/COAST def the SWANS by 1pt in the GF.[total169 pts in game].

In 2010 Collingwood drew with St KILDA[136 pts total].

2009 GEELONG def.StK by 12 pts[148 pts in the match].

2012 SYDNEY def. HAWTHORN by 10pts[172 pts total].

Like any sport there are tight & exciting games; & blowouts too.

I was at the SCG in 1996 in a final when Tony LOCKETT had to kick a point from 60ms out to take SYDNEY to the GF.The scores were tied against Essendon right on fulltime--& he kicked it under enormous pressure.[see above video].

There are many exciting AFL games!!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  7. doyen

doyen Bench

http://youtu.be/EUaLyWERQlM

Another great moment for Tony LOCKETT & the SWANS!!!

I was there on the day----fantastic atmoshpere.

My wife accompanied me[her only game of AFL]because she wanted to be there to soak up the atmosphere.She was very glad she was there even though she doesn't have any interest in sport.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  8. footy75

footy75 Juniors

his post was actually well written and spot on.... u called it a load of shit...because u couldn't handle it because u hate AFL...

like a 7 year old sook..'oh what a load of shit f**k off to big poofy'

lmao :D We have a bright spark here. :D

9. Bennyfishel

Bennyfishel Juniors

In Adelaide 99% of the people call it AFL

10. Bennyfishel

Bennyfishel Juniors

Are you serious????..........There will be many Leagues in American Football & Baseball just to name two,that would make the NRL appear to be bankrupt financially.

11. Nerd

Nerd Juniors

LOL you've cherry picked a handful of close games out of an 8 year period. To the AFL faithful like yourself it's a good game. To those of us who prefer Rugby League the highlight of an AFL game seems to be someone running up behind another player sticking his knees into this poor blokes back and catching a football. This act of cowardice in just about any other code of football would be rewarded with a penalty and the offender more than likely sent from the field of play.

12. horrie hastings

horrie hastings Juniors

Just a slight correction.
    2005 Sydney beat West Coast by 4 pts in the Grand Final, not 1 pt.

But yes as you said there are many exciting AFL games and the final in 1996 when Tony Lockett kicked the behind at the SCG to win the game to take them into the Grand Final was right up there.

13. footy75

footy75 Juniors

Its full of strategy.
    It's all about defensive pressure when your team doesn't have the ball.

14. Bennyfishel

Bennyfishel Juniors

you poor uneducated slob.I bet you dont play sport of any kind,...or maybe pocket billiards

footy75 likes this.
  15. footy75

footy75 Juniors

f**k there are some dumb merkins on this thread that don't have a clue.

16. hineyrulz

hineyrulz Post Whore

Especially by Fumbleball fans.

footy75 likes this.
  17. footy75

footy75 Juniors

How so?

18. Reece75

Reece75 Juniors

And the Rexona greatest athlete competition was won by a league player one year and the next year a union player...where were the super elite aussie rules players?

Nerd likes this.
  19. Pedge1971

Pedge1971 Juniors

Fumbling is a true skill of the game. Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!!

hineyrulz and Reece75 like this.
  20. southwalesrabbitoh

southwalesrabbitoh Juniors

just stop playing Aussie rules, it should have stayed as something for cricketers to do in the off season. flippin heck mun, can't you see that!