What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL player dies in Vegas

Danish

Referee
Palm tree leap: McCarthy's death 'a tragic accident', club boss confirms

John McCarthy died in a Las Vegas hotel driveway as a result of a tragic accident, Port Adelaide football boss Peter Rohde said this morning.
Fairfax understands McCarthy's family and girlfriend Dani Smarrelli were contacted early today to be assured that McCarthy's death was neither deliberate nor suspicious - a finding confirmed by the Las Vegas coroner.
The 22-year-old appears to have climbed down a ladder from the third-storey roof balcony of the Flamingo Hotel onto a lower level where he then attempted a failed leap across to a palm tree but instead landed on his back on the bitumen below.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ss-confirms-20120911-25qq9.html#ixzz26DZAPo4B

1 point :sarcasm:

Seriously though, what sad waste of a life. Promising sports star kills himself performing drunken antics.

Big Sam

First Grade
But why was he even up there? I don't understand how it could be considered skylarking when no-one was with him.

Danish

Referee
I'd wager that he wasn't actually on his own, most like with people who he left on the balcony that he climbed onto the roof from.

Perhaps he was actually with people who have not come forward?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
typical gutter journalism, we're supposed to join the dots and think the worst

Danish

Referee
Does it really matter if drugs were in his system or not at this point?

The bloke died trying to jump from the roof of a 3 storey building onto a f**king palm tree. He was either drunk, high or just plain stupid to attempt such a thing, and all are just as bad as the other.

meltiger

First Grade
It does when some are quickly trying to play connect the dots for a reason.

will admit to having a personal opinion on what state he was in that would agree with that angle BUT there is absoloutely no evidence of such.

Drugs were freely available IS a muck raking exercise without proof to the contrary. As Twi, said, gutter journalism at its best.

I doubt there is a nightclub on the planet where drugs are not 'freely available'

Danish

Referee
I agree with that. Media will just be begging for a positive test to come back on drugs for this one, especially given the autopsy results will come out in the off season so they'll have little else to discuss.