What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL Round 12

CyberKev

Staff member
FRIDAY JUNE 13

Essendon vs Kangaroos
Telstra Dome 7:40 PM AEST

Every week I tip against the Kangaroos and every week they show scant respect for my opinion. Eventually they have to fall in a screaming heap, however, even if its in 2008! Essendon were shocking last week and have been scarcely better than indifferent all year, but gut feeling tells me that they'll crawl over the line here. That's right folks... I've squeezed every ounce of logic out of the cerebral lemon and the only solid reason left for me to tip against the Kangaroos is gut feeling. Get your money on the Roos. Bombers by 13 pts

SATURDAY JUNE 14

St Kilda vs Port Adelaide
York Park 1:10 PM AEST

Port Adelaide are once again looking like genuine flag material, but this is never surprising during the H & A games, with the real test of Port always coming in September. They've been good though the Power, given some key injury woes, they've still been able to hold it together. St Kilda just keep getting better and had a fantastic win against the Lions last week. The Saints have been hit hard in the ruck though and should find the more experienced Port side a little bit too tough to deal with. Saints should definitely be thinking finals, but Port have appeal as a minor premier side. Power by 30 pts

Richmond vs Carlton
Melbourne Cricket Ground 2:10 PM AEST

The Tigers have fallen into something of a hole in recent weeks after having promised much a month or so back. If the club has real ambitions for a top 4 spot then it has to win this one, which won't be easy despite Carlton's lowly ladder position. They're ordinary the Blues, quite possibly the worst side in the competition, but the loss of Gaspar unsettles the Tigers down back and confidence isn't exactly soaring at Tigerland. Expect the Blues to run the Tigers hard, but I'd expect Richmond to have too much poise in the closing clinches. Tigers by 18 pts

Western Bulldogs vs Sydney
Sydney Cricket Ground 7:10 PM AEST

You've got to feel sympathy for the embattled Bulldogs who have reached a stage where it seems unlikely they could buy a win, even if they were paying with American dollars. They've been so close so often in recent weeks and last week could not have been more demoralising. The Hounds not only have to roll an in-form Swans side at the SCG, but they have to do it in defiance of the dreaded Subi-curse that has claimed all sides to visit Perth this season. I'd like to see them doing it, but I just can't. The Swans are looking dangerous at home when their confidence is up and should have too many guns for the brave, but undermanned Hounds. Swans by 48 pts

Fremantle vs Geelong
Subiaco 5:40 PM AWST

The Cats have come to life in recent weeks, but they can look forward to some anguish at the final siren of this game. Subiaco is not the place for fragile youth, and while the team played well there against West Coast, I think they'll struggle to keep the exciting Docker forwards in check. The Dockers weren't disgraced against Port last week and should even be giving themselves a big show of making the top four this season. THe Cats will be thereabouts, but the Dockers have the manpower to damage the Cats in bursts, which has been a bugbear for the felines all season. Dockers by 34 pts

SUNDAY JUNE 15

Brisbane Lions vs West Coast
Gabba 1:10 PM AEST

The Lions were unexpectedly tamed last week and the Eagles can consider themselves exceedingly fortunate to have escaped with two points against the Bulldogs. Both sides would be feeling suitably anxious, but West Coast look more fragile than the Lions and shouldn't be able to land a blow on them at the Gabba. The most important thing about the Lions is that they are capable of pushing sides all the way, even when well below par. They have awesone talent and a level of self belief that is awful hard to go against when push comes to shove. They won't go losing two in a row. Lions by 38 pts

Collingwood vs Hawthorn
Melbourne Cricket Ground 2:10 PM AEST

Hawthorn has enjoyed a rare happy week among the gloom that has been their season 2003. The win against Adelaide was a good one, and the impending return of John Barker (medically fit for the first time in 2 years) is a huge boost. They won't beat Collingwood this time around though. The Pies were all over Melbourne last week and should be able to exploit the still fragile Hawk midfield. Even if Mitchell & Crawford can have another day out for the Hawks, it is hard to see the Hawks having the forward power to seriously worry Collingwood. I'm also not sure that Hawthorn has a sound defensive option to play on Tarrant. Magpies by 24 pts

Adelaide vs Melbourne
AAMI Stadium 2:10 PM ACST

Melbourne is almost at its lowest ebb, but I fear that this will be more misery for the Demon faithful. Adelaide are hardly running hot and are missing some big names, but they will beat Melbourne if the players available can play to 90% capacity. The Demons really are missing Woewodin and Powell from their midfield, and have become depressingly predictable up forward since Farmer left. The Demon defence also holds no real fears for anyone, even a Crow attack that is a little light-on. Crows by 27 pts

CyberKev

[/b]

LordTed

First Grade
Well, continuing the experiment.
CK, now just what is this shit?
Less Power to Port.
Carna Saints by (yep, you got it)

GBT

Juniors
Essendon v Kangaroos - Kangas by 30
Richmond vs Carlton - Carlton by 10 :(
St Kilda vs Port Adelaide - Port by 5
Western Bulldogs vs Sydney - Swans by 25
Collingwood vs Hawthorn - Hawks by 20
Fremantle vs Geelong - Freo by 40
Adelaide vs Melbourne - Crows by 30
Brisbane Lions vs West Coast - draw

CyberKev

Staff member
Ouch, that cyan font is not a good look on the white background...

Sorry to say, Lord Ted, that the Power is GF bound...

GavBT, you must be on some pretty good shit to be tipping the Hawks this weekend, to say nothing of the Carlton one!

CyberKev

GBT

Juniors
CyberKev said:
GavBT, you must be on some pretty good s**t to be tipping the Hawks this weekend, to say nothing of the Carlton one!

CyberKev

Either that or altitude sickness.

Cupid Stunt

Essendon v Kangaroos - Essendon
Richmond vs Carlton - Carlton
St Kilda vs Port Adelaide - Port by a thousand!
Western Bulldogs vs Sydney - Draw
Collingwood vs Hawthorn - Hawks
Fremantle vs Geelong - Freo
Adelaide vs Melbourne - Adelaide
Brisbane Lions vs West Coast - Brisbane

Port better bloody be GF bound, I've publicly backed them for 2 years now to get the goods so it's about time I was rewarded! I'd love to see a Port -V- Sydney final. In fact as long as it was 2 non-Victorian teams I'd be happy. Brisbane beat in the big one would be a bonus... :lol:

chileman

Coach
Richmond vs Carlton - Carlton
St Kilda vs Port Adelaide - Port
Western Bulldogs vs Sydney - Sydney
Collingwood vs Hawthorn - Collingpies
Fremantle vs Geelong - Fremantle

Moffo

Referee
Richmond vs Carlton - Richmond
St Kilda vs Port Adelaide - Port
Western Bulldogs vs Sydney - Bulldogs
Collingwood vs Hawthorn - Colliwobbles
Fremantle vs Geelong - Fremantle

Hawthorn are up the creek :lol:

Cheers,
Moffo

CyberKev

Staff member
GBT said:
CyberKev said:
GavBT, you must be on some pretty good s**t to be tipping the Hawks this weekend, to say nothing of the Carlton one!

CyberKev

Either that or altitude sickness.

Gutsy showing by the Blues and a sensational win to the Hawks...

I stand corrected, said the hypochondriac to the chiropractor...

High altitude rocks...

I'd best make a booking with Canberra Balloon Flights for dawn on Friday week.

CyberKev

GBT

Juniors
Gutsy my arse.....barstewards!

Any chance in the next decade that Richmond will learn that a season lasts from April to September?

CyberKev

Staff member
GBT said:
Gutsy my arse.....barstewards!

Any chance in the next decade that Richmond will learn that a season lasts from April to September?

It's no certainty, Gav...

Much akin to the bleak prospects of Hawthorn actually notching-up a win against Essendon (regardless of ladder positions) in the next decade :cry:

Kevin Sheedy will most likely still be coaching the Bombers in ten years time though, methinks... In ten years that may be one of the few remaining constants in the game, but I fear by then I might just be too old and tired to care. For now, I'll just make do with living for the next game. Pity its still ten bloody days away (stupid rest week!)

CyberKev

GBT

Juniors
Kev, is that why Essendon were once known as the 'Same Olds'? Surely Sheedy wasn't in charge back then. :?

Without trawling through the reference section, when was Hawthorn's last victory over Essendon?

CyberKev

Staff member
GBT said:
Kev, is that why Essendon were once known as the 'Same Olds'? Surely Sheedy wasn't in charge back then. :?

Without trawling through the reference section, when was Hawthorn's last victory over Essendon?

G'Day Gav,

A good mate of mine, Chris Donald, has recently published a History of the Fitzroy Football Club, and its a darn good read. In it he laments the inability of Fitzroy to be a greater force during the early 1890s because of the great Essendon side of the time. I believe that Bomber outfit won 4 successive VFA Premierships and were known as the 'Same Olds' because supporters would say "Same Old Essendon", always bloody winning! I was also interested to read that in the VFA at that time, behinds were tallied, but not included in the final score. Thus on one occasion Fitzroy kicked 4.12, but could still only register a draw with Richmond who tallied 4.1... Ludicrous.

The last Hawthorn victory against Essendon came in 1997 when they would ultimately finish 14th and Hawthorn 15th. I remember (with greater fondness) Hawthorn's 22 match winning streak against Melbourne that ended with a huge upset loss to the Demons in 1984. Lately I've been wondering if Essendon's streak against us (currently standing at 8) may not eventually reach such heady heights :(

CyberKev

CyberKev

Staff member
Hmmm...

In this world 8) doesn't count as a streak...

Should've read 8, bugger it!

GBT

Juniors
Kev, interesting to see how in the early days of the VFL, Fitzroy was one of the more competitive clubs.

Here's a question, when was the Hawthorn Football Club formed?

CyberKev

Staff member
Here is a full rundown on the formation dates of clubs that have played VFL/AFL football...

1858: Melbourne (VFA, joined VFL in 1897)

1859: Geelong (VFA, joined VFL in 1897)

1860: Richmond (VFA, joined VFL in 1908)

1864: Carlton (VFA, joined VFL in 1897)

1869: Nth Melb/Kangaroos (VFA, joined VFL in 1925)

1870: Port Adelaide (SA, joined AFL in 1997)

1873: St Kilda (VFA, joined VFL in 1897)
Essendon (VFA, joined VFL in 1897)
Hawthorn (VFA, joined VFL in 1925)

1874: Sth Melb/Sydney (VFA, joined VFL in 1897 - relocated in 1982)

1875: Footscray/Bulldogs (VFA, joined VFL in 1925)

1883: Fitzroy (VFA, joined VFL in 1897 - merged with Brisbane 1996)

1889: Collingwood (VFA, joined VFL in 1897)

1908: University (VFL, disbanded 1914)

1987: Brisbane (VFL - merged with Fitzroy 1996)
West Coast (VFL)

1991: Adelaide (AFL)

1995: Fremantle (AFL)

You will note that of all the Victorian-based sides still playing in the AFL, Collingwood is clearly the youngest. This is amusing given how often Eddie McChins slags-off opposition sides for being 'Johnny Come Lately's'!

CyberKev

GBT

Juniors
According to - http://members.optusnet.com.au/~wardead/hawks/Hawks1.htm The current Hawthorn club were formed in 1902, for instance, the 95th Hawthorn AGM occured in 1997.

An earlier Richmond club also appeared in 1860 for a brief period. Another Richmond F.C. was formed in 1871 and continued for most of the 1870's. The present Richmond Football Club was formed in 1885.

CyberKev

Staff member
Gav,

Hmmm... Very interesting post that.

I was thinking that Hawthorn's late 1800s history (as was the case for a few clubs) was a little on the shaky side, but this is the first time I've read a hard and fast challenge to conventionally accepted history.

Its all a bit muddled, but what does seem to be clear is that the Hawthorn area was a blue ribbon precinct for footballing talent in earlier times. With this in mind, it is odd that the region would have struggled to form a profound seniors presence during this period.

Even weirder that it would take almost 80 years for the area to assemble a team capable of taking out the sport's major prize.

Of course, either way the club gets screwed in its centenary year. 1973 was a dismal one for us and the less said about last year the better. If only hard evidence would turn-up to show that the club was formed in 1889 :(

Good post, Old Son.

CyberKev

GBT

Juniors
Why 1889 Kev...... :?

Anything to do with the Hawks winning their first back to back premiership?

What has me wondering is, after ten years, this bloke has only come up with one webpage of evidence. Geez, I'm quicker than that.

Perhaps the article requires more scrutiny. I imagine some Hawthorn fans might not be too chuffed to learn that Eddie's Pies predate their beloved Mayblooms. ;-)