What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL Round 16

CyberKev

Staff member
A disappointing sequence of results last weekend appears to have all but shut the door on the finals make-up for this season. Losses to both Essendon & Hawthorn will put it beyond doubt, but could this be a round for the battlers?

FRIDAY JULY 18 AEST

Richmond vs Collingwood
Melbourne Cricket Ground 7:40 PM AEST

I'll go out on a limb here and give the Tigers the nod against all common sense and public opinion. The Tigers may be missing a few key players, but they tend to rise for games against the Magpies and if ever these players needed to show character, it is now. Collingwood have looked solid in recent weeks and have their eyes on a top four spot, but if you can match them for contested possession then you will more often than not beat them on the scoreboard. Buckley will cause all sorts of headaches, but quite often he will get a lot of possession without hurting you. The Tigers will need to blanket Tarrant & Rocca by whatever means possible and play their own game out of the centre. I can see an upset on the offing... Tigers by 12 pts

SATURDAY JULY 19 AEST

Carlton vs Sydney
Optus Oval 2:10 PM AEST

The Blues have never been lower as a club, even if they happen to be a position higher on the ladder than they finished last season. They were the only side to incur a 100+ hiding last year and it looks as if they'll repeat the (dis)honour here. Last week was their worst result in their entire history and the club looks years away from being seriously competitive. Sydney have looked solid in recent times and with their eyes firmly on a top four position, will be unlikely to slip-up here. The Swans have key players fit and firing, while the Blues have key players wounded and retiring. No contest... Swans by 38 pts

Hawthorn vs Melbourne
Melbourne Cricket Ground 2:10 PM AEST

The Hawks belong in the eight, but they aren't going to get there. They got rolled by the Demons in the opening round and will need to be switched-on to avoid a repeat of that here. Yet again it finds itself minus three key talls due to injury woes, but with a bit of reshuffling can still field an imposing spine for the match. The Demons have been dismal all season, but will fancy themselves here, particularly if Neitz can fire up. Usually they have beaten Hawthorn by rolling the Hawk midfield, but this will not be easily accomplished here. The Hawks have been getting good midfield ball from Crawford, Mitchell, Vandenburg & Hodge; while Melbourne has been forced to play Yze in a central midfield role as distinct from the polished wing role that he is so well suited to... Hawks by 26 pts

Essendon vs Brisbane Lions
Telstra Dome 7:10 PM AEST

Essendon is playing for its finals life, and it probably couldn't pick a worse side to come-up against under the circumstances. Brisbane has enjoyed beating-up on the Bombers recently and I expect this to continue here. The Lions were lucky against Hawthorn last week, but good sides react well to adversity and make full use of good fortune. Matthews knows only too well that the side can make the top two if they can negotiate the following fortnight with a win from the two games. They should get the win here, particularly with the Bombers looking painfully slow in the middle and positively inept up forward. The first of several years in the wilderness begins here for the Bombers... Lions by 36 pts

Port Adelaide vs West Coast
AAMI Stadium 7:10 PM ACST

The clear match of the round as the top two sides on the ladder go head-to-head for the league leadership. West Coast won the round one fixture comfortably at home and appear to be in the better form, but I prefer Port's structure and think home ground advantage could be just as telling here. Perversely enough the Eagles have the best attacking record in the comp despite possessing (what on paper looks) a dismal forward set-up. Eventually they will get exposed in this regard, but they will be strongly competitive here in a match that will probably go down to the wire. In the end the Port side will have to much poise and run though... Power by 10 pts

SUNDAY JULY 20 AEST

Geelong vs Western Bulldogs
Skilled Stadium 1:10 PM AEST

Geelong has looked strong in recent weeks, despite lacking key position potency and overall class. The club has youthful exuberance and a sound work ethic to burn, however, and it may be enough here. I don't think it will be though, as the Bulldogs man-up the Cats well and showed enormous heart in taking Port to the line last week. The Cats lack the polish to brutally expose the Bulldogs obvious flaws and will not be able to run past the pacy Hounds like they can other sides. They also lack the across the board height that can render the Bulldogs useless. If the Hounds can't win this one then they will not win another match all season... Bulldogs by 16 pts

St Kilda vs Kangaroos
Telstra Dome 2:10 PM AEST

Same old St Kilda, same old empty hopes, same old story of a season disappearing meekly down the gurgler. The Saints have promise, but it may never be realised if they maintain Cornflakes Thomas in the coaches box! The joke wore thin over a year ago boys, time to get real about it and put a competent person in charge. Expect Rodney Eade to take the reins for 2004 if the team, as expected, goes largely winless for the remainder of the year. The Kangaroos can all but seal a finals berth with a win here, and this will be a superb effort for a side that looked genuine wooden spoon material over the summer. The club has character, although it is riding largely on the backs of hardened, experienced players with little more than a season left in the tank. The future doesn't look bright, but they're going great in the here and now... Kangaroos by 24 pts

Fremantle vs Adelaide
Subiaco 1:40 PM AWST

I may have overrated Freo a tad in the short term, although I still think they will mature into a fine side in the next couple of years. Adelaide doesn't have that sort of luxury, as it must exploit an ageing list to win a flag during the same period. Adelaide appears to have the toughest run home of all the finals contenders, but a win here would go a long way to easing the tension that Ayres would surely be feeling. I'm not a big wrap for the Crows, but they should be too hard and settled for the fading Dockers, even at Fortress Subi. I thought the Dockers were dismal with the ball last week despite having enough of it to beat the Magpies. The Crows are infinitely better in this regard and have at least as much to play for... Crows by 20 pts

CyberKev

GBT

Juniors
Geez!!! it's that time of year again......
-------------------------

Richmond vs Collingwood - Staying in, limbs 'n all - Magpies by 24

Carlton vs Sydney - Blues by 3

Hawthorn vs Melbourne - Hawks by 28

Essendon vs Brisbane Lions - Essendon by 8

Port Adelaide vs West Coast - Power by 15

Geelong vs Western Bulldogs - Dogs by 2

St Kilda vs Kangaroos - Kangas by 33

Fremantle vs Adelaide - Dockers by 20

CyberKev

Staff member
G'Day Gav,

Nice ultra bold effort in tipping the Blues there, Old Son!

I watched a taped copy of this week's 'Talking Footy' last night and none other than Mr Danny Frawley was the special guest on the couch. As usual he was nice enough and jovial enough, but I swear the guy is seriously deluded. He's always talked about being on hand for the next Tiger premiership, which you would expect a coach to do, but I seriously suspect that the poor fool actually believes what he is saying. The side has major structural problems and would be years away from being a serious flag threat and I doubt he'll be at the club when this is realised.

I'm surprised he isn't mentioned more in dispatches when the talk turns to coaching replacements for 2004. I realise that the club is trying to overcome its poor knee-jerk image in this regard, but is a four-year battler with an ongoing rookie outlook likely to take the club forward?

They can still win tonight though...

CyberKev

Cupid Stunt

Richmond vs Collingwood - Magpies

Carlton vs Sydney - Sydney

Hawthorn vs Melbourne - Melbourne

Essendon vs Brisbane Lions - Brisbane

Port Adelaide vs West Coast - Power

Geelong vs Western Bulldogs - WESTERN

St Kilda vs Kangaroos - Saints

Fremantle vs Adelaide - Adelaide

Blade

Juniors
G'day Kev;

If you get the chance...

What's you opinion on Sydney this year? Can they go all the way or will they fold come business end of the season? Is Roos responsible for much of the teams success in his maiden full season at the realm? Or is it more due to the younger blokes firing and some so-called veterans re-firing? What's the secret of their success thus far?

I've only had the opportunity of watching them play on three ocasions this year, and have been impressed with the drive, determination and enthusiasm they've displayed in all three games. I get the impression that it's more a team effort this year rather than a handful of standout players, as has been the case in previous recent seasons. I honestly though the loss of star performers Kelly, Lockett, Schwass and Dunkley would have had a greater impact on the team since their departure. I was expecting them to fold for a few seasons until the rebuilding stage had passed. How wrong I was, huh? Are they a genuine threat to this season's title or is this thus far all show for the regular season? I have my doubs whether the young guns can handle the finals due to lack of experience... among various other things.

I value your insight mate.

Cheers mate.

GBT

Juniors
Kev, was a bit bold of me. 8) :?

Firkin eck, when does this Tiger misery end? From a promising start we've turned into seemingly the worst side in the comp.

Another coach isn't necessarily the right option and you're right, it would seem like the typical Richmond knee-jerk reaction, although I'm not sure if Spud is the right bloke.

CyberKev

Staff member
Blade

What's you opinion on Sydney this year? Can they go all the way or will they fold come business end of the season? Is Roos responsible for much of the teams success in his maiden full season at the realm? Or is it more due to the younger blokes firing and some so-called veterans re-firing? What's the secret of their success thus far?

I haven't been overly kind in my assessment of the Swans this season, but my views don't count for a cracker while the team keeps winning, and good luck to them. Few pundits weren't putting the team out of their hypothetical bottom fours during the preseason, but it now seems highly likely that they'll finish top four, which is a remarkable effort. So what has the club been doing right and where are its inherent weaknesses to be found?

Coaching

Paul Roos never struck me as fab coaching material, although in retrospect he has had a sound grounding through a long and varied playing career. I must concede that I felt Sydney had erred in not following through with its initial plan to appoint Terry Wallace in the top job, but its hard to argue with Roos' 17-9 win/loss record to this point of his career. I was concerned that he would be too close to the players having played for the team immediately prior to serving in the Assistant Coach role under Eade, but it doesn't seem an issue and it is clear that he has the respect of the playing roster. There's always a question mark over how talented players will make the transition to the coaching box, but he is succeeding by sticking to basics and finding the right playing mix between attacking run and defensive accountability. I do like the way that he never seems flustered and displays a calm authoritative manner when addressing the media... He certainly exudes the right traits to instil confidence in the charges. A definite contender for coach of the year.
Still needs to be firmly tested in the cauldron of the finals though. 7/10

Playing Squad

The side looked awfully "blue collar" before the season started and to some extent still does. Goodes, O'Loughlin, Hall, Creswell, Davis, Saddington, Maxwell & Williams have undoubted quality, but wouldn't inspire the same awe as the top clumpings at sides like Brisbane, Port & Adelaide. They've all stood firm this season though, and the side reminds me of Collingwood from last year. The Magpies raved about their youngsters, but quite a few sides have better young talent, and in reality it was the senior grouping and middle-tier players who were propelling the Magpies forward (still are). This is how it is at Sydney and the club would be thrilled to be able to follow Collingwood's example all the way to the GF. What we're seeing is a side having a good injury run and getting maximum input from its experienced and capable players. Again, there's not a hell of a lot to get excited about with the young talent on hand, but the side has pieced together a sound mix and, like the Magpies, appears to have a small gap between its best and worst form. 7/10

Off-field

Oh dear! Clearly the weakest link in the chain at the moment. The last thing the AFL would have wished to see was headlines from the Harbor City declaring $2 million+ debts and asking for more handouts. The League has sunk a motza into the club over the past couple of decades and would have justifiably felt that the cash cow days were over, as the Swans have no excuses for not recording profits from here-on-in. Heads should have been rolling in the Swans boardroom, as it is clear that horrific mismanagement has occurred there over the past couple of years. 2/10

Depth

Another weakness, although fortunately the club hasn't had to fall back on this heavily in 2003. The side lacks firm key position strength as is and is very light-on for good quality talls, particularly in defence (although they wouldn't be alone on this score). The side lacks 1-2 quality midfielders and may get caught short if Creswell and/or Williams were to go down with long-term injury woes. 4/10

Draw and consistency

The side clearly benefits from a handy home ground advantage, although it wouldn't appear nearly as prominent as those enjoyed by Brisbane and the Perth-based sides. Ironically, the SCG was seen as hindering the side in recent years due to the team's penchant for overusing handball when long direct kicking could prove telling on such a small ground. Under Roos they appear to be playing more considered and direct football, although occasionally they retain that tendency to play errantly pretty. The draw hasn't been overly friendly to them, having to play both Adelaide sides away, Freo in Perth and Brisbane at the Gabba, so they've handled that bit of adversity impressively. Its also true that their losses have been staggered and they haven't strung consecutive losses together, which is the sign of a good side. 8/10

Where to from here?

I've been thinking that both Sydney & West Coast give the impression of fine "home and away" sides... Good enough to put a gap in 'em during the regular games, but containing structural deficiencies that will hinder them from going up the necessary notch or two come finals time. I'm still worried about the Swans lack of height (particularly in defence) and feel that they may find it hard going against a Melbourne side on the MCG. Still, if they can finish in the four then they may not have that problem to contend with until the last week or two of the series (by which time there may not be any Melbourne sides left). We'll learn plenty about the Swans over the next five weeks when they get to play five serious contenders in a row. If Collingwood could get to the GF last year when, if anything, it is a more wide open competition, then the sky should be the limit for Roos' boys from here. Either way this will be a successful season for Sydney and they deserve much commendation for their efforts.

CyberKev

CyberKev

Staff member
GBT said:
Firkin eck, when does this Tiger misery end? From a promising start we've turned into seemingly the worst side in the comp.

Another coach isn't necessarily the right option and you're right, it would seem like the typical Richmond knee-jerk reaction, although I'm not sure if Spud is the right bloke.

Indeed, Gav.

I'm planning to write more extensive pieces on the clubs over the ensuing weeks, so I won't say too much now.

Suffice to say that the picture isn't a pretty one at Punt Road right now. The Bulldogs are looking good against the Cats at the moment and, on form, can take the Tigers next week. Early in the season Hawthorn endured the most savage media mauling in VFL/AFL history, and it began well before St Kilda put the final nails into a four-match losing coffin. Nine straight losses (including matches dropped to the key wooden spoon combatants) would surely see the niceties dispensed with for the Tigers well and truly by the wielders of the poison pens.

I suspect Greg Miller may eventually prove good for the club, but its been embarrassing to hear him consistently raving up the club and its coaching staff in recent weeks. You'd swear that Frawley was looking for his fourth premiership with the club this season by the manner in which Miller was waxing lyrical about him on Radio recently!

Still, maybe I'm being too hard on the baked spud, as the Tiger playing list looks as painfully thin as anything going around at the moment and a mounting injury toll certainly wouldn't be helping matters.

CyberKev

Blade

Juniors
Thanks for taking the time to type that out Kev.

Your work is always a pleasure to read.

Sincerely: Blade

Latest posts