What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL Round 19

CyberKev

Staff member
Lets all stand as one with CUPID this weekend and back the Hounds home... A win to the Bombers will all but close the door on the final eight for 2003.

FRIDAY AUGUST 8 ACST

Melbourne vs Geelong
MCG 7:45 PM ACST

Neither side can make the finals, but there'll be plenty of romance in this one, as (possibly) the two oldest structured footballing clubs in the world go head to head on Heritage weekend. An unusual week for the Demons with Neale Daniher taking the inane step of calling a press conference midweek to announce that he would not be standing down as coach of the club! Only Peter Schwab has fared more unhappily this season at the hands of the media, but one senses that Bomber Thompson wouldn't be able to endure too many more defeats before the blowtorch is applied to his feet. I don't expect it to happen this week though, as the Cats have too much enthusiasm and drive for the troubled Melbourne club... Cats by 17 pts

SATURDAY AUGUST 9 AEST

Collingwood vs Brisbane
Melbourne Cricket Ground 2:10 PM AEST

Beware Magpies bearing grudges... This game is huge for the Collingwood side, which can shore-up a fragile top four spot with a win here. Aside from this, it will also give the side a sniff of the minor premiership, bestow much needed credibility after weeks of beating-up on battlers, and will put their 2002 nemesis in grave danger of missing a home final. The Pies could win this, but I am concerned about the brittle nature of their defence and the fact that they haven't played any hard games against big sides recently. The Lions are steadily regaining personnel and composure and have had a few hard games recently that have it well placed. Leigh Matthews will want the boys to make a big statement to the competition here and I suspect that they can oblige him, despite Collingwood's best efforts... Lions by 16 pts

West Coast vs Adelaide
Subiaco 3:40 PM AWST

I know I've bagged the Crows at times this year and I maintain that their laziness and penchant for easing out of games is still very much a cause for concern. They should have buried the Swans last week, given the midfield and forward dominance they had in the first half, but they faded badly and barely fell across the line. They have a fine structure and would have no peer in the comp at the moment when they're on song, which is why I think they can win the flag if they go top four. Carey was phenomenal for them last week and is too smart and strong for most defenders. West Coast is a pretender and is not a serious premiership threat. Their love of the soft ball came back to haunt them big time against an inspired Saints side and coach Worsfold will have his hands full over the summer getting some real hardness and contested ball get capability into the unit. There is still the little matter of finishing off this season to get through first, and we can expect to see the Eagles slide emphasised by a first loss at home for 2003... Crows by 15 pts

Sydney vs Hawthorn
Sydney Cricket Ground 7:10 PM AEST

Both of these sides turned in fab performances in heartbreaking 4-point losses to the respective Adelaide sides last weekend. Sydney looked set for a 12+ goal thrashing during the first half, but did very well to steady and were unlucky not to win in the end. They always look great late in a match and coordinate well as a unit. Hawthorn was also unlucky in its brave last minute defeat at the hands of the competition leaders and has to win here to keep its slim finals hopes alive. Not many people would back them here, but the return of a couple of key talls and the sheer desperation of the occasion should see an upset ensue... Hawks by 6 pts

Richmond vs St Kilda
Telstra Dome 7:10 PM AEST

Richmond's season officially ended last week and there'll be little delayed gratification for the Tiger fans this week. A loss here would leave the team with the meagre return of 1 win from 11 games and regardless of what happens in the remaining four games, the club has much soul searching to do over the summer. This is a worry game for the Saints, however, given the side's tendency to suffer big letdowns following on from big successes. They looked irresistable against the Eagles last week and will have too much talent and verve for the Tigers if they can play to 80% capacity. There's not enough guns on offer at Punt Rd, and the Saints will have a score to settle after Round 4 when they were the better side, but came up short on the scoreboard... Saints by 12 pts

SUNDAY AUGUST 10 AEST

Port Adelaide vs Carlton
AAMI STADIUM 1:10 PM AEST

Port is certainly the better of the two sides here, but there dramatic injury woes will ensure that Carlton is surprisingly competitive here. Last week's win for Port may have been fortunate, but it was also brave and has put the club two games clear on top with four to play. Wins over the Blues and Demons over the next fortnight should be enough to wrap up another minor premiership, but the Power wouldn't want to ease into finals mode just yet! Carlton is painfully ordinary, but it can still scrap well and will sense a chance given the weakened state of Port for this match. Its also worth noting that Carlton has invariably ran stronger Port sides than this tight over the last few years, so it should be an intriguing game. Too much at stake for the home side though, in the end analysis... Power by 25 pts

Kangaroos vs Fremantle
Melbourne Cricket Ground 2:10 PM AEST

The Roos have worked hard and shown some real ticker this season, but eventually reality had to bite them hard and that's what is happening right now. They won't make the finals and will struggle next season, which is a little sad because the club has genuine spirit. A win here should all but win Freo a spot in the eight for the first time ever, which they deserve on the strength of their improved out of Perth efforts this season. You still wouldn't want to have big money riding on the Dockers here, but they have the structure and talent to get the points. Its also a must-win game for a side with genuine aims to provide stiff opposition during September... Dockers by 9 pts

Western Bulldogs vs Essendon
Telstra Dome 2:10 PM AEST

Its depressing to think that a side as mediocre as this Essendon team is most likely going to be playing finals footy this year. Its more than the team deserves and there's little doubt that the wilderness awaits them in 2004. I'd love to see the Hounds get up and they certainly have much to play for, as a win here would put them within a mere two points of Carlton in the wooden spoon race. The Bulldogs don't deserve to finish last and would give the Kagaroos, Hawks and Saints a big present were they to upset the Bombers here. I reckon they'll push the envelope and go close, but the Bombers should have too much poise and physical strength at key moments... Bombers by 14 pts

CyberKev

CyberKev

Staff member
What do the people here think of the club jumpers for the Heritage Weekend?

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=heritageround&spg=default

I'm actually quite partial to a few of them, most notably the St Kilda, Kangaroos, Bulldogs & Richmond strips.

Of course, I have to say I like the Tigers strip because it is pretty much the Hawthorn jumper using black instead of brown :lol:

Amazing story about the Bulldogs planning to use their jumper as a permanent strip during the thrities, only for the dry cleaners to bugger them all up over the summer, forcing them to run with the present hooped look.

It is amazing that Essendon has only ever had the one jumper design throughout its entire VFA/VFL/AFL history, and the Heritage jumper might just as well be the one they wear today with a thinner sash.

You've gotta laugh at Eddie McGuire, the tosser! He doesn't like the Magpie strip and wanted it changed to a design that he liked better!!!! Er, um, Ed, the whole point of the exercise is to display pieces of club history, not to bloody well rewrite them! :roll:

CyberKev

Anonymous

Juniors
CyberKev said:
I think the jumpers on your Sesame Street avatar out-shine everything... lol.
Tremendous read mate... and I don't even follow the game. :D

CyberKev

Staff member
Willow said:
CyberKev said:
I think the jumpers on your Sesame Street avatar out-shine everything... lol.
Tremendous read mate... and I don't even follow the game. :D

Willow, Old Son!

My condolences about not following the game...

Thanks for the kind words though, and well done on the forum, as yourself and Legend have done a fab job with it; in terms of both design and content.

Yeah, the avatar is good value... I think in this overtly safe and sedate Tickle Me Elmo kind of world, we could all do with a measured dose of the edgy and enervated, new and improved Evil Bert. As such, I intend to make it my business to lead the way with the Bertisationof The Front Row Forums :twisted:

Here's hoping that there'll be a little bit of Evil Bert in the Dragons this weekend 8)

CyberKev

Cupid Stunt

Melbourne vs Geelong - Melbourne
Collingwood vs Brisbane - Bribane
West Coast vs Adelaide - Adelaide (Though this depends on how sick McLeod really is.)
Sydney vs Hawthorn - Sydney
Richmond vs St Kilda - St Kilda
Port Adelaide vs Carlton - Port
Kangaroos vs Fremantle - Freo
Western Bulldogs vs Essendon - WESTERN

Of those heritage jerseys my faves are Carlton, Geelong, Port & Western. Carlton & Geelong simply because they are something different to what I'm used to but I'd love to see the Port prison bars & Westerns pyjamas on show each week. Ports especially, I'd buy one of those if it wouldn't feel like adultery... :lol:

As for Eddie, it's time the powers that be stood up & kicked him back into place. Like you said it's for heritage week not fashion week so unless he's ashamed of Collingwoods past then I'll be buggered if I can see a good reason to do it.