What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL Round 20

CyberKev

Staff member
The final 8 could be finalised this weekend if both Essendon & West Coast can get over the line. It'll be curtains for either Hawthorn or the Kangaroos even if both of those sides lose and it would also appear that St Kilda has left its run too late...

FRIDAY AUGUST 15

Collingwood vs Adelaide
MCG 7:45 PM AEST

Collingwood can look forward to another finals series, but time is running out for the side to show that they actually deserve to be taking part. The recent fine form of Hawthorn & St Kilda has turned up the critical heat on the Pies who can only boast 2 wins against impending finalists to this point in the season. One win was a scrappy grind against Freo on a cold and windy MCG and the other was against the Crows in Adelaide in what was the luckiest and most undeserving win I've seen in three decades of watching the sport. I don't expect them to win this one though, as Adelaide have had a premiership look about them of late and have the class, structure and hunger to roll a Magpie unit reeling from a bad defeat to Brisbane last time around. If the Pies lose here they will almost certainly lose the last two as well, effectively falling into the eight by default. Some concerns have been raised about a flu epidemic sweeping the Crows, but I'll stick tight with them here ... Crows by 18 pts

SATURDAY AUGUST 16

Carlton vs St Kilda
Optus Oval 2:10 PM AEST

The Saints won't be playing finals football this year, but it will be fun on tap for the faithful this Saturday as the team will surely enjoy its second win at Carlton in 40 years. Denis Pagan has gone public in saying that the challenge of getting the Blues competitive again is beyond anything he could have imagined in his wildest (bad) dreams. They're certainly the worst side in the comp and will probably claim a second successive wooden spoon. Conversely, St Kilda is a team on the scream and should have many years of finals football to look forward to it with the talent inherent in its young squad. I never thought I'd live to see a time when St Kilda had Carlton for talent and manpower all over the park, but these are odd times in which we live... Saints by 45 pts

Geelong vs West Coast
Shell Stadium 2:10 PM AEST

The Eagles are struggling and will have to wait at least another week to make certain of a finals berth. Touched up by the Saints a fortnight ago and outclassed comfortably by Adelaide at home, Worsfold's men are doing it hard through injuries to key players and the realisation that the side lacks key position strength and hard ball get capacity. Geelong has come in for heavy criticism in some quarters, but it has generally played solid football and is doing the best it can with the young list at its disposal and lack of quality talls. The Cats will have a sniff of a bleeding foe and should have the confidence and workrate at home to give the visitors a third consecutive loss. Providing the young cat midfielders are willing to play tight at close quarters, this will be theirs for the taking... Cats by 20 pts

Kangaroos vs Hawthorn
Telstra Dome 7:10 PM AEST

Hawthorn was fab for most of the game against Sydney last week and would be delighted with the burgeoning form of many of their younger players. The return of key talls puts the polish on the Hawks, but the most prominent aspects of the team's resurgence have been the tendency to play the corridor, coupled with the huge number of scoring options opening up for the club. By way of contrast, the once proud Roos are very much a side on the slide. The team has won just two of its last 7 games to watch its finals hopes all but wash away and the Roo tragics are unlikely to take much joy from this game. It is true that the Kangas have enjoyed two strong wins against the Hawks in their last two outings, but this Hawk side closely resembles the one that thumped the blue & whites earlier last season. Too tall, too strong, too talented... Hawks by 46 pts

Port Adelaide vs Melbourne
AAMI Stadium 7:40 PM ACST

I was driving through Melbourne listening to this corresponding fixture earlier this season, and could scarcely believe the way in which the Demons were outplaying the Power. Of course, that awe would have nothing on what I'd be feeling were the embattled Demons to repeat the dose this weekend. The word down south is that the Power's recent injury setbacks are easing and with a win here likely to secure the club another minor premiership, its almost impossible to countenance it slipping up. This is one season that can't end quick enough for the Demons. The club is a disaster area, having started the season with dreams of a top four finish, but set to finish it in a bottom four place. The club has had some injury woes surrounding its defence, but many clubs have fared worse, and it appears that Melbourne has merely been found wanting with the overall quality of its list. Daniher will surely be looking enviously across the paddock come Saturday evening and drooling at the thought of having some of the opposition's "fringe" players at his disposal... Power by 38 pts

SUNDAY AUGUST 17

Brisbane vs Sydney
The Gabba 1:10 PM

I've often likened the Swans to the Eagles this year, suggesting that both sides are fatally flawed and cannot hope to succeed in the intense heat of the finals cauldron. These similarities will become even more apparent this week as the Swans will mirror the Eagles in slumping to a third successive loss. The Sydney team was outgunned by a rampant Hawthorn last week, and while a concerted third quarter burst helped to flatter them on the scoreboard, the team was well beaten when it mattered across the park. At times the defence looked all at sea and the usual Swan run was conspicuously absent as the Hawks dominated the hard ball and stoppages, squeezing their free running counterparts out of the contest. Brisbane was a lot more impressive in taking a solitary quarter to blow away Collingwood and is not far way from being back to its worrying best. Bad news indeed for the Swans, who lack the posie and depth of talent to beat a revitalised Brisbane in Brisbane... Lions by 40 pts

Essendon vs Richmond
Melbourne Cricket Ground 2:10 PM AEST

Its hard to conceive of the fact that this Tigers outfit, undermanned and all, rolled over the Bombers with ruthless ease earlier in the season, restricting the red & blacks to five miserly goals for the entire afternoon. The Tigers were riding high in second spot after that game, but have only managed to rack-up 2 wins from the 12 matches since. The Essendon game marked the latest in a seemingly endless succession of false dawns for the long suffering Tiger faithful, who would take precious little comfort from the likelihood of the next false dawn being some time away (given the weakness of the club's list). Essendon has been good in recent times and will be obsessed with wrapping-up a finals spot here. The Bomber resurgence is largely smoke and mirrors, a fleeting last hurrah from a dwindling and ageing list pumped to the max on desperation and raw emotion. Four points is four points regardless of whether you're faking it or the real deal and the Tigers could but dream of perpetrating such an exquisite ruse... Bombers by 42 pts

Fremantle vs Western Bulldogs
Subiaco 3:40 PM AWST

Part of me is delighted to see the Freo side about to take part in finals action for the first time, whilst part of me is fearful that we are seeing the first rousings of a monster. The mix of likely midfield types and tall, talented mobile key position players on offer for the Perth side is little short of mouth watering. Its the sort of arsenal that the embattled Bulldogs, trailling all the other sides, and coming off a smacking from Essendon could only ever dream about. That being said, the Hounds do have a good record in Perth and will want to restore credibility by toughing this one out. If they're lucky they may catch the Dockers asleep at the wheel having all but sewn up a finals berth last week, but the use of the words Bulldogs and luck in the same sentence is something of an oxymoron.... Dockers by 34 pts

CyberKev

Cupid Stunt

Collingwood vs Adelaide - Crows
Carlton vs St Kilda - Saints
Geelong vs West Coast - WC
Kangaroos vs Hawthorn - Kanga's
Port Adelaide vs Melbourne - Port
Brisbane vs Sydney - Sydney
Essendon vs Richmond - Essendon
Fremantle vs Western Bulldogs - WESTERN

God this season is dragging along in a most painful way... :lol:

CyberKev

Staff member
Cupid Stunt said:
- WESTERN

God this season is dragging along in a most painful way... :lol:

The Bulldogs have certainly seen better years...

It appears that the Crows flu woes may be worse than many had thought and the side could be mssing up to 8 regulars for tonight's crunch game with the Pies...

God Collingwood has arse, no other side has gotrt near their charmed run over the past two years.

CyberKev

Collingwood vs Adelaide - Eddie-wood by 14
Carlton vs St Kilda - Saints by 46
Geelong vs West Coast - Eagles by 10
Kangaroos vs Hawthorn - Hawks by 6
Port Adelaide vs Melbourne - Port by 70
Brisbane vs Sydney - Brisbane by 26
Essendon vs Richmond - Essendon by 50
Fremantle vs Western Bulldogs - Freo by 36

CyberKev

Staff member
Welcome to the board Mighty Phins :)

I'm an old Dolphin lover from way back, but its hard to keep up with their progress from Canberra, how are they travelling these days?

CyberKev

Tigertread

Juniors
Collingwood vs Adelaide - Collingwood by 18
Carlton vs St Kilda - Saints by 20
Geelong vs West Coast - Eagles by 24
Kangaroos vs Hawthorn - Kangaroos by 12
Port Adelaide vs Melbourne - Port by 40
Brisbane vs Sydney - Brisbane by 36
Essendon vs Richmond - Tigers by 18
Fremantle vs Western Bulldogs - Fremantle by 50

Goldthorpe

Bench
Collingwood vs Adelaide - Collingwood by 18
Carlton vs St Kilda - Blues by 3
Geelong vs West Coast - West Coast by 21
Kangaroos vs Hawthorn - Kanga's by 12
Port Adelaide vs Melbourne - Port by 79
Brisbane vs Sydney - Brisbane by 9
Essendon vs Richmond - Essendon by 46
Fremantle vs Western Bulldogs - Fremantle by 60

Cheers
AJ

GBT

Juniors
Am I too late for the Pies v Crows match....... :?

Carlton vs St Kilda - Saints by 28
Geelong vs West Coast - Eagles by 16
Kangaroos vs Hawthorn - Roos by 12
Port Adelaide vs Melbourne - Port by 68
Brisbane vs Sydney - Lions by 14
Essendon vs Richmond - Bombers by 22
Fremantle vs Western Bulldogs - Dockers by 50

CyberKev

Staff member
Nice to hear from Tigertread again, as he has been missing in action for awhile... Also nice to see King Joeytaking the time to post here, good stuff. Just when I think the thread is dying a slow death, we find new names popping-up :)

You weren't too late for the game actually, Gav, and I presume you would have got on the Pies with the late mail coming through about the Crows various woes.

I'm wondering where Lord Ted has got to recently? How rapt would he have been with the Saints kicking their highest score (and recording their highest winning margin) against the embattled Blues today?! Now there's a club with a bright short-to-medium future... they've got young guns laid on thick, which just goes to show that if you're woeful enough for long enough, eventually the system will enable you to piece a gun side together.

CyberKev

GBT

Juniors
CyberKev said:
You weren't too late for the game actually, Gav, and I presume you would have got on the Pies with the late mail coming through about the Crows various woes.CyberKev

Dead right Kev, how could I not look beyond a Woods victory..... :^o

Mind you, having suddenly descended 800 feet last week, my prophetic powers aint quite up to recent hilltopping performances.

Bomber

Bench
Go the Dockers! Everyone's second team :D

Seriously, the Lions took their foot of the pedal big time yesterday. Perhaps we are witnessing the first signs of a dynasty unravelling?

Having said that, they'll probably won't lose another game this year, or next :lol:

Cheers
Bomber (Lions fan - not a bloody Essendon fan despite the username!)

chileman

Coach
CyberKev said:
SUNDAY AUGUST 17

Brisbane vs Sydney
The Gabba 1:10 PM

I've often likened the Swans to the Eagles this year, suggesting that both sides are fatally flawed and cannot hope to succeed in the intense heat of the finals cauldron. These similarities will become even more apparent this week as the Swans will mirror the Eagles in slumping to a third successive loss. The Sydney team was outgunned by a rampant Hawthorn last week, and while a concerted third quarter burst helped to flatter them on the scoreboard, the team was well beaten when it mattered across the park. At times the defence looked all at sea and the usual Swan run was conspicuously absent as the Hawks dominated the hard ball and stoppages, squeezing their free running counterparts out of the contest. Brisbane was a lot more impressive in taking a solitary quarter to blow away Collingwood and is not far way from being back to its worrying best. Bad news indeed for the Swans, who lack the posie and depth of talent to beat a revitalised Brisbane in Brisbane... Lions by 40 pts
CyberKev[/size]
How wrong you were and how good did it feel sitting behind the goal posts with about another 100 or so Swans supporters surrounding me as 32,000 Lions supports went defeaningly silent and trundled out after my Swannies knocked over the big guns Brisbane and proved that they are the real deal this season even though we've copped some injuries...great team effort by the Swans!

CyberKev

Staff member
chileman said:
CyberKev said:
Bad news indeed for the Swans, who lack the posie and depth of talent to beat a revitalised Brisbane in Brisbane[/color]... Lions by 40 pts
[/size]
How wrong you were!

There always has to be a first time for everything ;-)

Fine effort by the Swans and now they are obliged to follow-up with a comprehensive defrocking of Collingwood next weekend.

CyberKev

CyberKev

Staff member
Bomber said:
Seriously, the Lions took their foot of the pedal big time yesterday. Perhaps we are witnessing the first signs of a dynasty unravelling?

Not the best result for the Lions and they certainly look fragile after the last couple of awesome years they have had.

In spite of this, if results fall their way over the next fortnight they could still finish second and would be very hard to beat, particularly with Leppitsch returning to the line-up.

CyberKev

chileman

Coach
CyberKev said:
There always has to be a first time for everything ;-)

Fine effort by the Swans and now they are obliged to follow-up with a comprehensive defrocking of Collingwood next weekend.

CyberKev
Lets hope so.....and believe me after the end of the first and second quarters I was fearing that 40 point victory by the Lions....once Barry Hall decided to get more involved and the Lions started to fiddle with it at the back they opened the door to allow us back in then some Goodes magic really turned the game! Oh, what a mark! :D

There goes the Lions' chances of finishing in the top 2. I hate to say this but I don't think Brisbane will make the grand final this year.

Cyberkev, you'd be happy to know Redcliffe are equal first on the ladder although Burleigh have the greater for-and-against. One more round to go until the semis.

CyberKev

Staff member
Up the mighty Phins said:
Cyberkev, you'd be happy to know Redcliffe are equal first on the ladder although Burleigh have the greater for-and-against. One more round to go until the semis.

Sounds promising...

I really have lost touch with the competition up there over the past 18 months. I don't even know who cleaned up last season, although I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have been the Dolphins :(

CyberKev

CyberKev said:
Up the mighty Phins said:

Sounds promising...

I really have lost touch with the competition up there over the past 18 months. I don't even know who cleaned up last season, although I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have been the Dolphins :(

CyberKev

The mighty Dolphins did indeed clean up last year's competition. They finished minor premiers and then defeated the Ipswich Jets 32-10 in the big one.

Hopefully, they can go back-to-back this year.

Latest posts