AFL VS NRL

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by Crush, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Crush

Crush Juniors

Cmon mate, the killers is way better pre-game entertainment than Macklemore, admit it.
    Macklemore is a good entertainer but not at a grand final.
    I too enjoyed the performance for what it was but it didn't fire me up for a game of footy!
    Killers killed it.

2. BringTheNoise

BringTheNoise Juniors

I definitely enjoyed The Killers more, not denying that. My point is that it's subjective and you're never gonna please everybody. At least Macklemore was better than Billy Idol lol.

Crush likes this.
  3. Willow

Willow Administrator

lol. Unfortunately they don't practice what they preach.

4. TomRedVRiver

TomRedVRiver Juniors

The AFL always have and will always be a more efficient and stronger supported organisation than the NRL.
    It is an absolute religion in Victoria. It doesn't matter if you don't like sport, everyone has a footy team down there.. It's remarkable. Not to mention how widespread they are across the country right now.
    And it's not just about Grand Finals, you watch regular season games and the crowds they get. Most stadiums (albeit the MCG of course) are basically selling out.
    If you look at the average crowds for the 2017 AFL season, only three rounds out of 23 were below 30,000 on average. Essendon VS Collingwood (a regular season game) got 88,000... It wasn't even a final... and only one of those teams barely even made the top 8. You will NEVER see that in the NRL.

With the success of GWS and the Swannies, they are slowly getting stronger in NSW now which is Rugby League territory. The AFL in still climbing, the NRL is declining.

Crush likes this.
  5. grouch

grouch First Grade

6. TomRedVRiver

TomRedVRiver Juniors

To be honest with you I think the only reason Macklemore got up in the ratings is because of the drama and build up that was attached to it with the marriage equality debate. People were probably just tuning in to see if he would play 'Same Love' and if the crowd would do anything, I don't think it had anything to do with him being more entertaining haha.

Still, a win is a win.

Crush likes this.
  7. Dragonslayer

Dragonslayer Bench

Crush likes this.
  8. BringTheNoise

BringTheNoise Juniors

I actually got to spend some time down in Melbourne this year doing some contract work with an AFL club and I was absolutely blown away at how progressive they were.

I would say many NRL clubs, and the NRL itself is a good 10 years behind the AFL and its clubs from a business point of view. And that's being generous.

Crush likes this.
  9. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG Juniors

Do you mean NO campaigners?

Obviously, this forum isn't an appropriate vehicle for any such meaningful discourse, but I would strongly argue that YES advocates are the ones who say one thing with little honesty involved.

10. grouch

grouch First Grade

How. Do they interchange the fans as much as they do the players in their stupid game? The difference in viewership was 370,000.

11. ouryear

ouryear Juniors

Hate to gate crash the party....but viewer numbers for the entire game.....AFL won pretty comfortably.... plus they had 21,000 more at the game.
    NRL may also deny it, but they gave away 12,000 free tickets as well.
    If AFL is a religion, NRL is just a local Sunday school.

Crush and Dragonslayer like this.
  12. Willow

Willow Administrator

This forum is ok to discuss this. You're entitled to your view and I'm entitled to disagree with your view on this and a whole range of subjects.

How is campaigning for equal rights a dishonest venture? Surely it is more dishonest to say it is about religion.

The No campaigners also insist it is about 'free speech', and yet, they tried to have Macklemore banned. How is that free speech? More likely, when they preach these words they are only talking about their free speech, not those who disagree with them.

13. ouryear

ouryear Juniors

I am all for free speech.
    In fact i would fight for it.

But imagine if an election was on ....and the nrl paid singers to sing songs of joy to either billy shorten or malcolm turnbul.

I say lets keep religion and politics separate.....and keep sport and politics separate.

How can any sporting org make out they are speaking for thousands of their participants and officials?

It needs to be a personal and heart felt decision

14. Disinterested third party

Disinterested third party Juniors

How thick is this St George forum with AFL trolls? Is it the colours or something?

15. TomRedVRiver

TomRedVRiver Juniors

Seeing as Willow has given it the green light, I would honestly love to get a discussion going on this SSM debate. Would be very interested to see forum members thoughts on it.

16. ouryear

ouryear Juniors

WTF?
    No one here is an AFL troll mate.

But after years of hating AFL...
    I got to admit i admire their passion, tribalism, massive weekly crowds, great commentators, and their coaches dont blame umpires for losing!

We need to look and learn from the AFL and put plans in motion to surpass them.

But Greenberg or whatever his name is ... is as bad as our own Mr Doust!

Crush likes this.
  17. Disinterested third party

The AFL would give their eye teeth for the international competition rugby league is about to experience. Happy days.

Life's Good and Saintsified like this.
  18. Dragonslayer

Dragonslayer Bench

Yep cant wait for the Aust V Lebanon game...........true international flavour right there.
    As an International standard game I'm expecting a close, hard fought encounter, maybe even GP.

Someone wake me up when its 70-0!

ouryear and Crush like this.
  19. Crush

Crush Juniors

International Rugby League is a joke. I honestly do not watch it.
    I watch club NRL and SOO reluctantly.
    Rugby Union world cup is a real world cup. Obviously nothing on soccer world cup but Rugby Union WC kills Rugby League world cup.
    AFL at least doesn't pretend to have a "world" cup.......

ALSGI, ouryear and Dragonslayer like this.
  20. Disinterested third party

Yeah AFL is charging in the Mid East. Who could forget the peace team? :joy: