What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex Johnston Alternative to DUGAN ?

Drag Queen

Bench
Fast strong ball runner
Do we currently have one of those in our backs
We need speed!
Is it possible to have speed and defence? I know it's possible but not with our current squad or with our juniors. Speed counts for nothing unless you have a thorough defensive team behind them. We have a good defensive team in our forwards atm. Is it enough though to not require some kind of special from the backs?

ALSGI

Bench
So what you are saying is that it is dumb to give our youngsters a go?
External signings aside, why bother developing them and not using them?
No, pretty sure he's agreeing with you Dennis, he's just saying it's beyond a risk it's dumb considering the potential in our juniors.

BennyV

Referee
So what you are saying is that it is dumb to give our youngsters a go?
External signings aside, why bother developing them and not using them?
No, saying that signing Johnston would be downright dumb.
Especially considering the value our other options would provide.
McGregor has stated the 2018 fullback position will be between Duffy, field, Mann and nightingale. Good news boys.
To me, that means that Nightingale will start there next year. Mary wont start the season with an untried kid at fullback.

WardyRedV

Juniors
[QUOTE="BennyV, post: 12263326, member: 41884"
To me, that means that Nightingale will start there next year. Mary wont start the season with an untried kid at fullback.[/QUOTE]

unfortunately he also said that he "doesn't think the club will chase a fullback from another club" but he doesn't really know seeing as he's not involved in the recruitment process. I can live with nighty at fullback and, if we do sign him, Johnstone on the wing before nighty retires but Jason also stated he's looking for a 2-3 year contract. It's definitely going to get interesting with McGregor picking the 17 and Millward picking the squad (although they've been doing an excellent job the entire time his system has been in place).

blacksafake

First Grade
9 weeks ago was told this was on the cards - well barring a miracle Alex Johnston WILL BE Dragons No. 1 next year - should b announced within next 10 days. it's only minor details now 3 or 4 year contract the sticking point

Ps: Hutch very close to going to the Knights - feel good story if it happens!
1 minute agoEditReport
A big step backwards if he is signed to play fullback imo. A grabber in defence who couldn't knock my grandmother off the fence. All he has is speed & should he suffer any leg injuries & lose speed there ain't nothing else. I'm ok with him signed to play wing but if millward signs him on fullback $ then imo it is a total fu** up. Who the fu** does he have lined up to replace Packer.

WardyRedV

Juniors
Why is Nighty being mentioned as a permanent fullback. If McGregor said this, then he's so far off the mark.

Would imagine it would only be so if the juniors didn't look up to standard over the pre season. Now he has his two year extension he has the time to get them up to first grade standard. Regardless of when it happens Dufty and Field will be playing first grade for the Dragons. There is way too much potential there to not give them a crack. It would be complete ignorance to not let them have a go ( although it wouldn't be the first time).

BringTheNoise

Juniors
All you guys wrote off Mcineness when signed and Lafai last year
Johnston is a gun!
The boy can play and he's lightning and has amazing instincts!
I hope nothing goes wrong and we complete the signing!

What do you mean "All you guys"? As I recall you wrote off Lafai too! And McGregor as well before doing a huge 180...

No matter how you frame it, Johnston is a downgrade on Dugan and I'm positive that we have juniors that will be as good, if not better than Johnston in a year or 2.

GC Dragon

Juniors
Why can't we simply look at playing a genuine fullback at fullback . The options being thrown up like 1..Nighty who is a winger and hasn't got the legs to play a full season there...2 Johnston who is a out and out winger ..3 Walker who is a 5/8 ...4 Field who is a 75kg kid who has made his name as a 5/8

Two years ago Mann trained all pre season as a fullback and after 2 games had a red line put through his name . Last pre season Mary talked about Dufty filling in for Dugan this year . So if he doesn't get a run against Parra it would seem Mary has put the same red line through his name .

It would make sense to play Dufty next week and who knows he may show enough to be the full time fullback next year with a bit of quality coaching and management . If we are so afraid he will fail simply put KFFL on the bench instead of Milne who only gets a few minutes or so if no injuries . And if Dufty go's that bad take him off put KFFL on the wing and Nighty to fullback .

While we have fixed a major positional problem ( halfback ) by signing Hunt . I fear We could be saying the same about our fullback position for the next few years .

Drag Queen

Bench
Why can't we simply look at playing a genuine fullback at fullback . The options being thrown up like 1..Nighty who is a winger and hasn't got the legs to play a full season there...2 Johnston who is a out and out winger ..3 Walker who is a 5/8 ...4 Field who is a 75kg kid who has made his name as a 5/8

Two years ago Mann trained all pre season as a fullback and after 2 games had a red line put through his name . Last pre season Mary talked about Dufty filling in for Dugan this year . So if he doesn't get a run against Parra it would seem Mary has put the same red line through his name .

It would make sense to play Dufty next week and who knows he may show enough to be the full time fullback next year with a bit of quality coaching and management . If we are so afraid he will fail simply put KFFL on the bench instead of Milne who only gets a few minutes or so if no injuries . And if Dufty go's that bad take him off put KFFL on the wing and Nighty to fullback .

While we have fixed a major positional problem ( halfback ) by signing Hunt . I fear We could be saying the same about our fullback position for the next few years .
Makes sense.

Crush

Coach
I think you have to select the strongest players every week in this competition as there are NO easy games.
I don't agree with the notion of blooding the youngsters at the expense of better more experienced players.
I know this is an unpopular post but I would select Nightingale at fullback whenever Dugan is unavailable this year because he is excellent there.
People will say but how will we know that dufty or mann aren't better than nightingale at fullback? Well I guess every team faces that question with youngsters that cannot dislodge the senior players.
Their time will come and if they cannot get a run with one club they may move to another, thats the reality. I doubt though that dufty, just for example, is going to leave the dragons to take a starting fullback role with another club.
And spare me the jack bird story again, that happened yes but very rare case.
On Alex Johnston, I don't know much about him at all but it sounds like he has some potential. Other mates of mine have said he goes alright?
Maybe he will replace nighty on the wing if nightingale moves to fullback for a season or retires altogether.

WardyRedV

Juniors
Where and when?

ST George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has devised a departure plan for Josh Dugan that includes the Test star grooming the club’s 2018 fullback.

Dugan has a maximum of four months remaining at St George Illawarra before he links with Cronulla next year and McGregor is determined to ensure the class of the 27 year-old is felt long after he’s gone.

McGregor has identified teenager Jai Field, 21-year-old Matt Dufty, off-contract utility Kurt Mann and Kiwi veteran Jason Nightingale as contenders for Dugan’s No1 jersey next season.

Both the fleet-footed Field and Dufty are considered the front-runners to battle for the 2018 fullback spot.

However, with Dufty yet to make his NRL debut and Field just three matches into his first-grade career, the final learnings from Dugan will prove vital to carving out their own career at the back.

Josh Dugan has a maximum of four months remaining at St George Illawarra.
McGregor said Dugan, who boasts more than 140 first grade games, seven Tests, 10 Origins for NSW and is a member of the club’s leadership group, would be asked to assist the development and readiness of the Dragons’ next-generation fullbacks.

“One thing about Josh is, he will definitely help our playing group and our roster in 2017 prepare for 2018,’’ McGregor said.

“We’ve got young Duff and Field there, Jason Nightingale is a veteran, but played very well at fullback when Josh was out.

“Kurt is obviously off-contract, but if he stays at the club, there’s another person there (that could fill the void of Dugan).

“I’ve always been a big supporter of Josh and he brings a lot to our footy team, but he’s chosen a different path going forward and his security there going to a really strong club.

“I’d love to keep every player, especially the ones that are playing quality football, but the salary cap is a complex process.

“I don’t want to sit in front of a screen and work it out every day, so I’m just happy that they’ve (departing players) got a future and can secure their future financially.

“But obviously Josh, while he’s at our club, will perform to his best.’’

McGregor, who is kept at arm’s-length from the club’s salary cap and recruitment meetings, felt the club was unlikely to pursue a fullback from a rival club to replace Dugan.

“I don’t know for certain because I don’t know where the salary cap sits,’’ McGregor said.

“But one would think if you look at the depth around that position we’re okay.’’

Dugan, who is averaging 148 metres a game this season, only needs to pull through Monday’s clash with Canterbury to be named by NSW coach Laurie Daley in the centres for Origin II at ANZ Stadium on June 21.

WardyRedV

Juniors
I think you have to select the strongest players every week in this competition as there are NO easy games.
I don't agree with the notion of blooding the youngsters at the expense of better more experienced players.
I know this is an unpopular post but I would select Nightingale at fullback whenever Dugan is unavailable this year because he is excellent there.
People will say but how will we know that dufty or mann aren't better than nightingale at fullback? Well I guess every team faces that question with youngsters that cannot dislodge the senior players.
Their time will come and if they cannot get a run with one club they may move to another, thats the reality. I doubt though that dufty, just for example, is going to leave the dragons to take a starting fullback role with another club.
And spare me the jack bird story again, that happened yes but very rare case.
On Alex Johnston, I don't know much about him at all but it sounds like he has some potential. Other mates of mine have said he goes alright?
Maybe he will replace nighty on the wing if nightingale moves to fullback for a season or retires altogether.

Nighty has never let anyone down at fullback.. last year I actually payed more attention to the games where he was number 1 because I thought we had a better shot. Same thing for when Marshall was out and McCrone was in.

Frank Facer

First Grade
He's looking to play fullback - a great available option and alternative to DUGAN if negotiations keep dragging on
Running Fullback
22yo
Excellent link player
Excellent under the high ball
$700k a a season at best
NFW. Johnston is a crap fullback. If he was any good, Souths would want to keep him. I have watched Souths game with Johnston at fullback and he did very little. I would rather we gave Field and Dufty chances ahead of Johnston.

I would not want us to sign Johnston for 200K a season. I think we have better fullback and outside back options at our club right now.

Frank Facer

First Grade
The same thing happened last year when we signed Vaughan and McInnes
Everyone bagged them and the club saying they were shit
Before that it was Mann and lafai
Look how these 4 have worked out
They are consistently among our best players every week
Stop the whinging and just roll with it Alex Johnston will be a good signing for us if we get him
He is just playing in a very ordinary team at present
And we can't just blood a heap of juniors at once or we will be back to 2016 and complaining about the coach and the players again
Happy to see a couple of juniors make the 1st grade squad and a junior off the bench but you have to have the right balance of experience and youth
When Johnston plays fullback for Souths, they look even more ordinary than when he doesn't play fullback. The only games that Souths have won this year are against Newcastle, Penrith, when their coach dropped 4 players for disciplinary reasons and the other game that they won was when Many were missing 4 of their props.