What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex Johnston Breaks the All-Time Try Scoring Record For The Rabbitohs

callmack1

Staff member
Thought this deserved it's own thread.

What a special, special night as Alex Johnston has officially broken Nathan Merritt's record to become the all-time greatest try scorer in 114 years of history at Souths!

He now sits on 147 trys to top the leaderboard and there's hopefully still a long way to go in his career.

Truly is remarkable. I never thought I'd see Merro's record broken but here we are. AJ has done it! What a legend! The most prolific try scorer I've ever seen play for Souths and he has now cemented his spot in the history books.

As I said, just such a special night. As an Indigenous man, to do it at home in this Round, wearing that jersey is special, it's just magic.

Huge congrats to you AJ!! It has been an absolute pleasure to watch so far and hopefully there's plenty more to come.

handyman2190

Bench
Congratulations AJ a true rabbitoh and team player, a player who accepted a lot less to stay ,who shows his passion for the club, no matter what other players do like leaving because of money,a humble gentleman,thank god there are some like him, we love you Alex!

Rabbits20

Immortal
I’m so bloody proud of AJ what a moment what a night what a finisher what a player!

I went nuts when it happened AAAAAAAAAAAJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ AAAAAAAAAAAJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ

Steenson123

Juniors
Thank God he stayed. Reynolds et al leaving was hard to digest. However, imagine Johnston becoming the historical all time scorer at say Melbourne under Bellamy!
Now that would be extremely hard to swallow, no?

Lawman

Juniors
If Ken Irvine was playing in the modern game of touch football,compared to the old game - Irvine would easily have scored more than 300 tries with a competitive team,instead of playing for the struggling Bears for many years.Ken Irvine has played for Australia and many believe he should have become an Immortal.Irvine vs AJ- Irvine is Australia's Best Ever Winger.

Steenson123

Juniors
Proud to say I was there on Saturday to see the record broken. A great winger, under rated imho but now an all time SS great.
Johnston stays healthy he will be the greatest ever scorer in NRL football. As Fox commentators Mick Ennis and Warren Smith stated during the Balmain match, Johnston is only 27 and in 5 more seasons he is only 32. He can do it for sure.
Johnston has scuppered any thoughts of playing FB. You can see he now is entirely consumed about reaching Irvine and surpassing him.

Lawman

Juniors
Johnston stays healthy he will be the greatest ever scorer in NRL football. As Fox commentators Mick Ennis and Warren Smith stated during the Balmain match, Johnston is only 27 and in 5 more seasons he is only 32. He can do it for sure.
Johnston has scuppered any thoughts of playing FB. You can see he now is entirely consumed about reaching Irvine and surpassing him.
The NRL Competition started in 1998.The previous years were the ARL and Sydney Competion respectively - Different Competition and Different Teams - Different Trophies - Different Records,therefore should be recorded separately.

Steenson123

Juniors
The NRL Competition started in 1998.The previous years were the ARL and Sydney Competion respectively - Different Competition and Different Teams - Different Trophies - Different Records,therefore should be recorded separately.
So? Irvine was a great scorer. Slater is #2 @ 190 the analysts don't care about this era differentiation, nor do I. Johnston is a fantastic flanker and finisher and is now a realistic chance to overtake KI, if he stays healthy.

Latest posts