What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex Johnston!!

rasaint

Juniors
At least many on this forum are now realising that Duges is a good player full stop. That's it folks.

IMO We can never win a premiership with him because he lacks the speed and vision of an elite fullback. Surely the club is not delusional and consider paying him something toward a $1 million for the next 3or 4 years. We are stuffed if it does.

Nothing against Josh, like us all he is simply wants as much as possible for his services. I have been observing for years that Josh has too many limitations to command anywhere near the money he is on comparative to other genuine elite players.

Just came back from injury and snapped their run of poor form suspect he is ok up there especially as they lost Ponga after resigning Coote.
If you're thinking outside the square -
Long Term - what about Latrell Mitchell (no chance he will play fullback at Easts now that Tedesco is signed)?
Big strong and fast. When this guy matures he will be the next Greg Inglis.
Short term - Michael Gordon - I have already wrapped this guy.
Proven performer at the highest level. Great against the Eels and kicked 8/10 only missing the last two when it didn't matter.

possm

Coach
Johnston no thanks i rather bring Tom Carr back.

I hope the club gets rid of some of the dead wood in the outside backs Glymin and KFFL both not needed next year.
Yes but that wouldn't help much with the salary cap however, it would give us the ability to promote a couple of juniors to the Illawarra side.

possm

Coach
If you're thinking outside the square -
Long Term - what about Latrell Mitchell (no chance he will play fullback at Easts now that Tedesco is signed)?
Big strong and fast. When this guy matures he will be the next Greg Inglis.
Short term - Michael Gordon - I have already wrapped this guy.
Proven performer at the highest level. Great against the Eels and kicked 8/10 only missing the last two when it didn't matter.
Latrell Mitchell would be a great option to REPLACE DUGAN. This would leave us with the problem of what to do with Dufty/Field. However, Millward has already indicated that Field is the 2018 fullback so I guess if we signed Mitchell, he would have to walk back from that idea.

BrissyRedV

Bench
If Dugan is gone, take a risk on our young fellas. We will have an experienced and skillful 6, 7 and 9 next year so I see no harm in taking a gamble on Field, Dufty, Marsters or even Mann if he stays. Johnston is a risk in itself and a potentially an rxpensive one with the way he has gone at 1 for the Rabbits although McInnes has turned out to be a gun after indifferent form for them last year.

possm

Coach
If Dugan is gone, take a risk on our young fellas. We will have an experienced and skillful 6, 7 and 9 next year so I see no harm in taking a gamble on Field, Dufty, Marsters or even Mann if he stays. Johnston is a risk in itself and a potentially an rxpensive one with the way he has gone at 1 for the Rabbits although McInnes has turned out to be a gun after indifferent form for them last year.
I'd like Mary to take the risk this season, 2017. In that way would most certainly have a better idea of what we want for 2018. Mitchell is still under contract until the end of 2018 however, with a better understanding of the first grade readiness of Dufty and Field, we would be taking less risk in 2018.

BrissyRedV

Bench
I'd like Mary to take the risk this season, 2017. In that way would most certainly have a better idea of what we want for 2018. Mitchell is still under contract until the end of 2018 however, with a better understanding of the first grade readiness of Dufty and Field, we would be taking less risk in 2018.
Indeed. One of those 2 should have been playing 1 whilst Dugan has been out.

mickeylane

Bench
Alex Johnston if recruited will prove to be a gem of player - he has fantastic pace, good positional play and great chimer into a backline

Agree again. Johnston would look great in our backline, even if on the wing. He is still learning the fullback role, and may even surprise a few with a bit more experience in the number 1. He certainly knows where the try line is, which is something our outsides backs need help with

SBD82

Coach
Agree again. Johnston would look great in our backline, even if on the wing. He is still learning the fullback role, and may even surprise a few with a bit more experience in the number 1. He certainly knows where the try line is, which is something our outsides backs need help with
A big no from me for johnston. Not what we need.

With regard to finding the tryline, 2017 tries scored:

Johnston 4
Macdonald 3
Aitken 4
Lafai 4
Nighty 6.

Wouldn't trade him for any of them either.

Latrell Mitchell would be a great option to REPLACE DUGAN. This would leave us with the problem of what to do with Dufty/Field. However, Millward has already indicated that Field is the 2018 fullback so I guess if we signed Mitchell, he would have to walk back from that idea.
Why any recruitment professional would not keep an open mind and consider all options that are presented to him along the way?
Announcing Field as our fullback for 2018 a quarter of the way into the 2017 season is absolute nonsense don't you reckon?

Old Timer

Coach
God sone people are f**ked in the head
Let's buy someone else's 20 year old who has been in and out of 1st grade since he was 18 and has just returned to first grade after poor form and at the same time not give our own 20 year old a chance despite having being impressive in U/20's which is exactly how Mitchell got his crack 2 years ago
Wake up people and get with the programme of looking and promoting within
Now to top off all that ridiculous thinking Mc Fookknuckle picks KFFL on the wing
The place is doomed if this keeps up

barry

Juniors
If Dugans not our fullback next year, I'd like to see Field get a crack unless we sign Barba or Hayne

Otherwise NO to anyone else (assuming Latrell Mitchell and Gagai have signed with souths)

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I would give Field the crack at fullback before Johnston.

f**k, I would even sign Hopoate for fullback before even THINKING about Alex Johnston.

possm

Coach
God sone people are f**ked in the head
Let's buy someone else's 20 year old who has been in and out of 1st grade since he was 18 and has just returned to first grade after poor form and at the same time not give our own 20 year old a chance despite having being impressive in U/20's which is exactly how Mitchell got his crack 2 years ago
Wake up people and get with the programme of looking and promoting within
Now to top off all that ridiculous thinking Mc Fookknuckle picks KFFL on the wing
The place is doomed if this keeps up
You hit the nail on the head in your second last parra. Mary has not selected Dufty/Field/Mann at fullback while Dugan was off injured. How in the hell would anyone know if they are up to the task.

I was told Mitchell had an argument with the coach over the signing of Tedesco. Apparently Mitchell thought he was the long term fullback. Thus the sit out one game and come back through reserve grade episode. At least he wasn't shunned as Soward was by Price after a similar situation.

possm

Coach
I would give Field the crack at fullback before Johnston.

f**k, I would even sign Hopoate for fullback before even THINKING about Alex Johnston.
If Dugan is gone for next season, move him to right centre and give Dufty/Field/Mann 3 weeks each at fullback. Then we know what we have before 2018.

If we moved quickly on either Lattrell Mitchell or Barber, we may be able to do a deal for the remainder of this year. In this way we can see what we have before committing long term.

Latest posts