What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex Johnston!!

Exactly how do the youngsters aim up when always playing reggies or bench warming?
If you buy a Gordon or a Johnstone they will play 1sts.
Of course you're right but they won't even give them a go now that Dugan and Widopp are injured.
Either the coaching staff don't think their ready because they're are astute OR they are being too conservative for nothing.
My first preference would be to see the youngsters given a go - they have the ideal opportunity to do so.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Either the coaching staff don't think their ready because they're are astute OR they are being too conservative for nothing.
I think the issue is that Mary is still uncontracted for next year so is being conservative in his approach and going for the safe option instead of preparing the club for the future. Very short sighted considering recent events. Dufty cannot be too far off after the last few weeks in reggies where he has had consecutive man of the match performances.

GC Dragon

Juniors
I think the issue is that Mary is still uncontracted for next year so is being conservative in his approach and going for the safe option instead of preparing the club for the future. Very short sighted considering recent events. Dufty cannot be too far off after the last few weeks in reggies where he has had consecutive man of the match performances.
Bingo....That's it in a nutshell .

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Seems to me Newcastle paid big money for kalyn ponga .who's to say we don't have a couple like him running around .last count we had 7 or 8 juniors with rep experience. Junior kangaroos,state of origin, kiwi etc let's see what we have Freddy was 18 when he played big boy league.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Watmough,omeley,hannay as a matter of fact stacks of players made 1st grade debut before 19 time to grow some balls Mary and give the future stars a run. take your pick we have plenty to choose from

Ben_Kusto_magic

Juniors
Seems to me Newcastle paid big money for kalyn ponga .who's to say we don't have a couple like him running around .last count we had 7 or 8 juniors with rep experience. Junior kangaroos,state of origin, kiwi etc let's see what we have Freddy was 18 when he played big boy league.
Well Said!
Dragons have always seemed to hold talent back. Give them a go I say!

ALSGI

Bench
Watmough,omeley,hannay as a matter of fact stacks of players made 1st grade debut before 19 time to grow some balls Mary and give the future stars a run. take your pick we have plenty to choose from
Yes, agree, very frustrating for fans when we keep hearing about our youngsters in rep teams. Especially as our squad lacks burning speed.
I got excited seeing Dufty in the 21, really dissapointed to see KFFL named but that turned out very nicely for us with one of his best turnouts I've seen.
I'm hoping our Coach is keeping his powder dry with our youngsters for good reason as there'll be more injuries before seasons end.

saintsarealive1

Juniors
I think if a club signs a very good player from another club, its up to the junior to show what he has, and if he is good enough.

Isnt it up to any player to show more form and class to dislodge another player?

Yes....it may bring an offer from another club where our junior believes he will make first grade quicker than competing with the newly signed player and other players in first grade...but as long as we end up with a good player, whether it be our junior or a new signng, I don't have a problem.

If Aitken stayed, Widdop and Hunt wouldnt be our 2018 halves pairing.

What other juniors who went onto great things have we lost?

Bringing new and very good players to the club lifts standards and expectations.

Yes...its a fine balance between a player who is already proven and likely to bring more success, versus a junior with potential.

Simon

Juniors

We're coming 5th and I'd say will make the semi's. We are not Newcastle and have options with quality first graders.

Good youngsters will force their way into the top grade. They need to earn it, not just be given a go 'to see how they go'.

The coaches job should be to pick the best 17 each week to win what's in front of him. Preparing for the future comes with squad management, but we shouldn't be looking to the future at the expense of the present.

Last edited:
Yes, agree, very frustrating for fans when we keep hearing about our youngsters in rep teams. Especially as our squad lacks burning speed.
I got excited seeing Dufty in the 21, really dissapointed to see KFFL named but that turned out very nicely for us with one of his best turnouts I've seen.
I'm hoping our Coach is keeping his powder dry with our youngsters for good reason as there'll be more injuries before seasons end.
If ever he was going to try them - now is the ideal time. 3 Key players out injured (Field, Mann for Widopp
Dufty, Field, Mann for Dugan Milne has slotted in for Aitken)
But it's not happening for Dufty and Filed is getting token minutes.
How can we get to see that scintillating speed?

possm

Coach
Do they really set the world alight in their current nsw cup and u20s team?
Mary will take a conservative stance until a decision is made on the coach for 2018 and beyond unless he is instructed by Doust or the football committee - whichever he now reports to - to test these young players so that recruitment decisions can be made.

mighty v

Juniors
Possm ,dont know why you are helbent at smashing mary at every opportunity but your argument is flawed...sele,host,field, all got debuts under mary...at begg8ning of year evwryone was screaming why lafai was infront of milne for centre position,now hes one of our best....mcrone to partner widdop was another again hes played well in partnership with widdop....debelin,vaughan,frizzell ,packer,mann are in career best form UNDER mary...give the bloke some kudos when deserved mate

Saint-Fez

Juniors
Johnstone should be signing soon

Surely not as FB? Average winger at best. Atrocious FB.

The Saturday NRL triple m boys laughed about how wingers are positioning themselves at FB's to get more money. They used Johnston as an example, before dismissing him as a good winger but definitely not a FB.

Possm ,dont know why you are helbent at smashing mary at every opportunity but your argument is flawed...sele,host,field, all got debuts under mary...at begg8ning of year evwryone was screaming why lafai was infront of milne for centre position,now hes one of our best....mcrone to partner widdop was another again hes played well in partnership with widdop....debelin,vaughan,frizzell ,packer,mann are in career best form UNDER mary...give the bloke some kudos when deserved mate
I understand your support of Mary but I can't forget that we were sitting pretty about the same time of year in 2015 then we managed to lose 7 in a row with some real floggings among those.
Finished the year by scraping into the eight and got knocked out in week one of the semis.
In 2016 we lost 6 out of the last 8 games that we played and didn't make it to the semis at all.
I am enjoying the turnaround but we have no kicking game whatsoever even though I respect McCrone and the wholehearted effort that he puts in every week.
I just don't understand Mary's use of the bench nor his induction of Field and lack of game time.
What I am saying is that Mary is not a tactically savvy coach and we tend to get knocked off in close games because of it.
Personally I don't think he can deliver us a premiership.
He may well be improving but please explain why we (the supporters) have had to endure a situation where we wait 3 years for the appointed coach to get experience in first grade and provide better results?
I also don't understand why we are in such a hurry to give him an extension given his track record.
We (the supporters) paid dearly when they gave Price an extension prematurely.
I am not convinced and hate watching games where we put in a huge effort, win all the stats and still lose games.
It just doesn't happen with the majority of other FG coaches.

giboz71

First Grade

Good post mate.

I smashed Mary as well when we were rubbish last year, as I did Widdop. Credit where credit is due.

possm

Coach
Field has had no time at fullback and yet Millward has him as our fullback in 2018. Millward has not signed a replacement fullback so wouldn't you think Field should have been tested at fullback during Dugan's absence. If Field is not ready, this would allow Mary to move onto Dufty or Mann. With Dugan moving on, surely Field and Dufty should be tested for suitability as our first grade fullback this year. Mann's situation is a little different because Millward has not extended his contract as yet.

Sele and Host have had their tests with Host being judged to need more time in reserve grade and Sele found to be a revelation and suitable for first grade. Now it's time to test props Kerr and Lawrie who are in the frame to be in the prop rotation next year due to the loss of Packer. Millward has not recruited a prop to replace Packer at this stage.

If our juniors are not tested at fullback and prop this season, we will be less prepared for the loss of Dugan and Packer next season.