What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All deals are off until you find form: Parra boss

fish eel

Immortal
I'm getting a little sick to death of the softly softly approach to the players, let's not hurt player x's feelings because or he won't sign that 280K contract....

nah! f**k em! good move by Ossie, ship up or ship out, it's that easy, we definitely won't find any shortage of player talent with fg experiance willing to have a go for the jersey, we found one last week and hopefully he can get his attitude back on track to provide a bit of competition to the backrow.

yeah, thats all well and good stagger, but the blokes whose contracts are up and appear to have been singled out aren't the guys whop are at the root of our problems.

The halves.
The hooker.
Under performing senior players in the pack.

All of whom are all signed up.

I mean, FFS....Eric Grothe? What's Guru done wrong?

Inu? He has been alright.

Wobbygong

First Grade
Players and agents may not be talking to the bottom of the table Eels, but it won't stop them talking to other clubs, players will eventually tell the fat heap osborne to shove it and sign elsewhere - players need certainty not games.

True EEL

Bench
as i said fish eel, i think it was a good move, but concede it wasn't right to single players out and name names, however, i believe Ozzie is targeting Mateo and KK....

spiderdan

Bench
treat the players like kids..... really really stupid thing to do. maybe he can send them to their rooms without dinner if they don't finish their chores.

at least three of those guys named have offers from other clubs, good offers too. if the club suspends negotiations then the players may just go where the money has been offered.

it also phucks with the mindset of those players that are in negotiations as there are players underperforming who are tied up.

the players need to get the fundamentals right. it isn't just a few players but the bulk. you can't win games if you keep dropping the ball. especially if it happens in your defensive half.

the_eel

Juniors
I think its a good move. I agree with Stagger that this softly softly approach isnt working. Play with passion and pride or move on. I dont think this singles out only players coming off contract i think this is more so drawing a line in the sand for ALL players and saying 'we dont care who you are but if you arent performing up to our KPI's then you're not guaranteed a future with our club.'
I will add however that this statement MUST go hand in hand with demoting some bigger name (on contract) players to Wenty. That certainly would spread the message to ALL players both on/off contract.

I think its a good move. I agree with Stagger that this softly softly approach isnt working. Play with passion and pride or move on. I dont think this singles out only players coming off contract i think this is more so drawing a line in the sand for ALL players and saying 'we dont care who you are but if you arent performing up to our KPI's then you're not guaranteed a future with our club.'
I will add however that this statement MUST go hand in hand with demoting some bigger name (on contract) players to Wenty. That certainly would spread the message to ALL players both on/off contract.

Cayless, Poore??

True EEL

Bench
re: above ^^^
even though i know what you're saying Jake, some players do deserve being shown some level respect at the moment.....they qualify as 2 examples

the_eel

Juniors
Hmm if the coach thinks Cayless and Poore deserve to go down and we have viable options to bring up then yes!

In my personal opinion i'm not a massive Cayless fan but i think he's been better than Poore so far and i'd drop Poore back to Wenty. I'd also drop Robson, Tahu (if Burt is fit) to Wenty and MK and Mateo back to the bench. Surely the players need a shake up after the performances so far this season and the players i mentioned IMO, reputations aside, have been the poorest of the lot.

BissyB

Juniors
As much as think Rothfield is a muppet, I think he is right in saying we need a captain who is ready to blast the others which Cayless isn't doing. In fact we need more of what Grothe did to Hayne. Hayne thinks he's on top of the world at the moment and he needs to remember though he is contracted, He needs to toughen up and work hard. That try Kelly nearly scored was terrible, he just stood there watching it

lingard

Coach
IMO, part of the CEO's job is to prepare us for the future. How can holding off negotiations for next year onwards because of this years form, be a good thing?

Some players need fire put under them, the fear of losing money for a mortgage might be good, but when a player like Mateo has $400K infront of him from the Warriors and what ever the Knights and Dogs are offering, how is holding off negotiations going to help?

The ONLY positive I can see from this is it may get the players completely focused on this year and their form.

Maybe the management are beginning to suspect - like some of us here - that Mateo and Keating (in particular) may not represent the future of the club. Maybe they are over-hyped and their abilities over-estimated. Wouldn`t be the first time.
I must say, I don`t get it with Mateo. In the last three games of last year he showed me that he could be a superstar. Where is it now? I mean, if being paid around $250,000 per year, plus all the adulation, plus the chance to play State of Origin plus the chance to go one better this year and win a grand final, isn`t enough motivation for a player to pull his finger out, then WTF? For that sort of money I`d have a go at climbing Mount Everest. And I`m 55!

Last edited:

True EEL

Bench
As much as think Rothfield is a muppet, I think he is right in saying we need a captain who is ready to blast the others which Cayless isn't doing. In fact we need more of what Grothe did to Hayne. Hayne thinks he's on top of the world at the moment and he needs to remember though he is contracted, He needs to toughen up and work hard. That try Kelly nearly scored was terrible, he just stood there watching it

i agree that Jarryd is very relaxed at times in defence

but in terms of Cayless not blasting the players, i think he might do so in other ways, he seems to very much have the other players respect and attention and the seem to just do what he says very often....

but i concede that maybe he needs to be more vocal and blast them more often??

Hanscholo

Bench
Its like Dennis never left. We get the same idiotic doorstops that we got back then.

I wouldnt panic about any of this, its a very long season. You have the coach and the players to do something later in the year. The GF is won in October, not march. Your also bound to lose a couple of players, probably Inu and Mateo no matter what happens on field. Those two guys will get a huge offer from somewhere that will be too good to refuse.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I do not like this course of action one bit. This really smacks of disrespect IMO. I wonder if they are holding off talks with Cayless aswell. If Burt hadnt of signed on already, would they have held off negotiations with him too?

Sure the boys arent performing, but this can really make things worse. This could create a divide in the squad.

I really hope this is the media not telling the full truth.

If my boss came out in public and said "start performing or you wont be here next year", id walk out then and there. Not so much for the words, but because they were made public.

I see what you're saying, but Ossie, in charge of the footy club, needs to come out in public and assure the fans that he's looking after the club's best interests.

And frankly, if some players would rather leave to get more money instead of stay for pride, then so be it. The Dogs lost SBW and Thurston, far better players than anybody we've ever lost, and they moved on.

CrazyEel

Bench
I don't know the players so have no idea how they will react but i'm kinda half of one and six of the other. On one hand I'm sick of the touchy feely crap and think they all have to HTFU but on the other see Fish Eel's point that it is unfair to single some out, especially Grothe and Inu who IMO have been putting in.

I do have a fear however that Ozzie is gun shy and over reacting after seeing how some of his prior "big deals" such as Mortz and Tahu are performing on the field.

El Diablo

Post Whore
I do not like this course of action one bit. This really smacks of disrespect IMO. I wonder if they are holding off talks with Cayless aswell. If Burt hadnt of signed on already, would they have held off negotiations with him too?

Sure the boys arent performing, but this can really make things worse. This could create a divide in the squad.

I really hope this is the media not telling the full truth.

If my boss came out in public and said "start performing or you wont be here next year", id walk out then and there. Not so much for the words, but because they were made public.

agreed

it's like he's taking it out on 3 or 4 players when there's some high paid players under contract who are the worst of the lot

i'd tell him to take a hike next time he wants to talk turkey

i hope he has plans for next year if the players he's singled out tell him to f**k off and they sign for another club

fish eel

Immortal
I don't know the players so have no idea how they will react but i'm kinda half of one and six of the other. On one hand I'm sick of the touchy feely crap and think they all have to HTFU but on the other see Fish Eel's point that it is unfair to single some out, especially Grothe and Inu who IMO have been putting in.

I do agree on that though, no need fpor kid gloves and a spade needs to be called a spade

I do have a fear however that Ozzie is gun shy and over reacting after seeing how some of his prior "big deals" such as Mortz and Tahu are performing on the field.

Yeah, I hope based on four games we dont over react who in we sign or not sign. If the off contract guys play half a dozen blinders, do they get a top deal?

The Tahu situation is interesting. I'm happy to have him back, but to be honest, it's a position we're already strong in (dont forget Jono Wright!), but his deal will go up next year....and face it, he is only here because of Paul Osborne.

I wonder if the money Tahu is on this year and then next could have kept Kingston and brought back, say Trent Hodkginson who stagger has said wanted to come back was told there was no room?

Eelementary

Post Whore
Tahu may not be playing well at the moment, nor is he getting younger, but he is all CLASS and he is experienced, too - unlike our entire squad he's won an NRL Premiership, and unlike a lot of them he's played for NSW and Australia.

eel4life

Juniors
Why is it when players go to melbourne they become better?

It is because the coach says to them if you do not play to the standard i want you will not be playing, and when you hear the players interviewed that is what they all say.

we know our job, we know the standard of what is expected of us, and we do it, because if they do not then there is someone else there who is willing to do it.

that is melbourne secret, they all put the team first and when you watch them play that is why they win games because they all put in the same effort, they make errors like everyone else does but because they do all the small stuff so good they don't get hammered by their mistakes.

our first 5 sets against the sharkies i think from memory we dropped the ball on all occasions, that is our problem we are not respecting the ball and at the moment we a re suffering, once we fixed up the stupid lazy errors the real parra will show we are a good team, and we are at the moment we just need to win a game and hopefully monday we show that.

In a way, Ossie is taking the approach by saying, the coach wants you to do this, if you are not willing to do so then all bets are off, we will find people who want to, if a player really wants to stay then they will, our team at the moment are not playing well and we always seem to do so but enough of it will be right blah blah time for the players to take responsibility of what they are doing on the field because management are kicking goals of the field.

we win this week and then everything will look different, it is a long season and it should only ever be focus on the next game prepare well do what the coach tells you and if you are not up to it then something has to give.

Stick solid, stick together, when we get through this happy days are here again ...