What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Allan Bateman to play against the Kangaroos

ali

Bench
Former Warrington stars Kevin Ellis and Allan Bateman have been called up to the Wales squad that will play in the European Nations Cup this autumn and face Australia at Bridgend on Sunday 2 November.

The former internationals are two of six homegrown players who were added to Neil Kelly's initial batch of 18 players after a Possibles v Proabables trial match at Aberavon.

Both currently play for 2003 Totalrl.com Conference champions Bridgend Blue Bulls in the Welsh Division of that competition.

There are also places for Aberavon centre Aled James who recently made a Tetley's Super League appearance with Widnes Vikings and Bridgend winger Lenny Woodard.

From the trial game, Kelly and manager Mike Nicholas have taken back row forwards Jordan James, who is on the books of National League Two club Sheffield Eagles, and Damien Hudd from Conference side Torfaen Tigers

Neil Kelly said: "It was an uplifting experience to be at the trial game where so many talented players were on view and I now recognise that I have a pool of Welsh born Rugby League players available to me.

"I was impressed with the standard of many players and feel confident that if gaps in the squads do appear, I now have a bigger pool to select from".

Not bad for someone well into their mid 30's.

The Observer

Staff member
What was Bateman like playing outside Ettingshausen back in 1996? By all reports he was classy. Interestingly Bateman rates John Lang as one of the best coaches he ever had.

incredible_holc

Juniors
yeh i rate Lang, so does Et unfortunatly the club didnt and also didnt like his trainee so to speak Raper and now we are stuck with Anderson :roll: :roll:

anyway back to Bateman from what i remember he was a solid winger and that was it he wasnt to flash but didnt do much wrong either

paulmac

Juniors
Well done to the Welsh for picking homegrown players.I can only hope the Irish and Scottish follow the boyos lead.As we all know not one player in Scotlands 2000 World Cup was scottish born which did nothing for the development of the game there.

Latest posts