What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

American Gods

mackdadday

Juniors
Just watched the premier episode and I think we have 2017's show of the year with this one. I really don't want to give away anything so anyone who hasn't watched it can just put it on and sit with their mouth open for an hour. First season will be 8 episodes and if the eight episodes were already done i think i would have ravaged it in a night. Ian McShane is a delight as always.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Is this available in Aus legally? It is bloody annoying when I have Foxtel and Netflix and still can see shows like this and the expanse same time as the rest of the world

Bazal

Post Whore
I'm waiting for this to finish so I can binge the absolute shit out of it. But it's hard to wait....the trailers and snippets that are around look f**king great, the casting looks perfect and the book is one of my all time favourites.

elyod138

Bench
First two eps are a very good realisation of Gaiman's novel, excited to see the rest unfold. Mr Nancy was brilliant in his debut.

I hope it's a huge hit and we see The Sandman get a similar treatment.

Last Week

Bench
I've been umming and ahhing over this show. You guys have just convinced me.

I've never read the novels though. Never heard of them to be honest. Should I before watching or can I watch it and still enjoy it without the novels?

Bazal

Post Whore

I've never read the novels though. Never heard of them to be honest. Should I before watching or can I watch it and still enjoy it without the novels?

I recommend reading the book....but I always recommend reading the book. Seriously awesome.

I haven't seen the show yet so I can't say either way tbh. I always think reading the book first is better, but that's a personal preference thing.

elyod138

Bench

You should watch the first episode before watching this, it has spoilers, but here's a video with Neil Gaiman explaining the concept behind American Gods:

Game_Breaker

Coach
You should watch the first episode before watching this, it has spoilers, but here's a video with Neil Gaiman explaining the concept behind American Gods:

Now that makes sense, I just dived in to the first 2 episodes and have never read the books. That video at least gives it some context because diving in blind had me confused about what I was watching.

Now I know who Mr Wednesday is (his eye and name give it away) and look forward to seeing the other gods.
It's ok so far, but not edge of your seat stuff.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I'll be honest. I read the free sample in Google play of American gods. If a book hasn't got me hooked by the end of the free sample i don't buy it. It hadn't suck its hooks into my at the end of the sample.
I gave the show a go. The first episode didnt do much for me. It pretty much lined up with the free sample. I was almost going to give up on it but decided to give the 2nd epiode a try. Definetely hooked now. For book readers, does the book improve like the show did (after shadow leaves eagle point)?

elyod138

Bench
I'll be honest. I read the free sample in Google play of American gods. If a book hasn't got me hooked by the end of the free sample i don't buy it. It hadn't suck its hooks into my at the end of the sample.
I gave the show a go. The first episode didnt do much for me. It pretty much lined up with the free sample. I was almost going to give up on it but decided to give the 2nd epiode a try. Definetely hooked now. For book readers, does the book improve like the show did (after shadow leaves eagle point)?
It's been a long time so my answer isn't super reliable, but the show seems extremely faithful so far, from what I remember. Things get a lot crazier than what we've seen so far in the TV show, this is just the beginning.

elyod138

Bench
The show is just moving very slowly, and that last episode was weird with the gay sex scene.
If you want a fast paced show I don't think American Gods is for you. There will be big action events but overall it's a sprawling epic, it's not going to speed up much.

The Jinn sex scene is directly from the book, it made me feel exactly the way the book made me feel, they captured the atmosphere perfectly. I don't think the Jinn sex scene is any weirder than the Bilquis sex scenes. These scenes are vignettes of mythological creatures and gods, they'll continue to be interspersed throughout the show. In the book, these scenes were at the start of each chapter.

Last edited:

DiegoNT

First Grade
Finished the book. Was drifting in and out for the first half, a chapter here, 15 pages there. But when i got to the 2nd half i finished it in a night.

Bazal

Post Whore
Just watched the first ep. Might not sleep tonight.....what's 7 hours from now? Like 430?

Wicked adaptation already. The bloke playing Shadow is absolutely perfect

Latest posts