What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

American network CBS to buy Channel 10

This is great news for the local sports rights market.

This means Murdoch failed in his bid with Bruce Gordon. Not sure if they're fully out of it though.

Last edited:

Diesel

Referee
Can the NRL approach TEN and sell an extra game during this broadcast deal if there is a provision for expansion without entering into negotiations with Nine and Fox?

Last Week

Bench
Can the NRL approach TEN and sell an extra game during this broadcast deal if there is a provision for expansion without entering into negotiations with Nine and Fox?

I'd doubt it. I'm sure 9 have a broadcast exclusivity for FTA NRL matches.

Besides, for 10 to get any value out of a single game, they'll want prime time. Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights are out.

Perth Tiger

Bench
I read that CBS is also going to release their streaming service in Australia.

It may be a backdoor way for NRL or AFL to get streaming services into the USA if they sign a rights deal with C10 in the future.

In the long run, this is a good thing. Many media pundits were predicting that If Gordon and Murdoch's bid were successful (providing legislative change occurred allowing it to proceed) then you would have seen a virtual merger between Foxtel and Channel 10 with them using new found market clout to bully everyone else into crappy deals. This is why some people were fearing the next TV contract would be for less.

To many people it has appeared that Channel 10 has been run into the ground to enable Murdoch and Gordon to buy it for the proverbial song and enact the above scenario. How its been allowed to occur does not speak highly of our regulatory agencies.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Think this is good news for future competition for NRL TV rights....

On a side note, would like to see this lead to more NFL content being broadcast into Aust....

Johnny88

Juniors
I read that CBS is also going to release their streaming service in Australia.

It may be a backdoor way for NRL or AFL to get streaming services into the USA if they sign a rights deal with C10 in the future.
Yes CBS ACCESS they call it great news more content choice.

LESStar58

Referee
Nine and Fox should sell any Saturday night Storm matches to Ten to broadcast exclusively live in to Melbourne. If the Pirates get in the same thing should be done with Perth.

Canard

Immortal
Nine and Fox should sell any Saturday night Storm matches to Ten to broadcast exclusively live in to Melbourne. If the Pirates get in the same thing should be done with Perth.

Why sell it? Why not show it themselves?

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
I hope cbs gets the votes tomoz and therefore channel 10. I still think that there will be massive movement after this settles and the media companies do the wheeling and dealing. Nine and fairfax, seven/prime and ten/cbs and WIN or Southern cross. The issue is fox/news corp will still want a tv station and they have the money to get one. A news corp/seven/WIN merger is more likely after Murdochs afl statement. Where does that put nine and/or Nrl? Interesting times.

Latest news, Gordon and Murdoch intend to appeal this morning's court ruling. I hope the merkins are denied an injunction. I cannot see the staff of Channel 10 voting in favour of their bid at all.

colly

Juniors
Sell the new owners a ninth game from 2020!
Plenty of options.
PNG & Pacific Islands This can be done without major money injections
NSW Country (run by the Sate organization) & Queensland Country, again run by State Organization
This would cash in on the regional in both crowds and Ratings.
Rest Of OZ- Based in Perth & Auckland/or South Island

PLUS a World Cup every year $$$$$$$$$. I want the league season to finish by the !st Cricket International Test or Mid Nov
Start the 9's season off on Austrlia Day (that will make basket weavers cry) at Cronulla with remaining games at night finishing with a final on the weekend (After Australia day)