What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

American network CBS to buy Channel 10

Turns out CBS increased their offer with more money to flow to 20th Century Fox (as one of Channel10's creditors). Today's creditors meeting has accepted this offer and rejected the Gordon/Murdoch offer. Now to be finalised it just needs the Foreign Investment Review Board to clear it. Source: http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-...es_SKY_creditors-to-meet-on-ten-s-fate_190917

What odds we get stories in the News Ltd press about the takeover of our media by foreign interests and how bad it will be in the next few days?

Last edited:

colly

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/business/medi...ote-in-favour-of-cbs-bid-20170919-gyk8zn.html

Good summary on the video/by ABC which agree with. Murdock was going to wrap 10 and foxtel and would use this vehicle to low ball and restrict FTA rugby league like they did to V8 super cars. Rugby got f**ked by going fully Pay TV.
The video also shows the financial and media power Sydney has. Most media HQ's. Luckily Sydney is a RL town. Wonder who will be the sports rights decision makers at TEN will be? Let see. Green-turd should be in their face, like yesterday.

colly

Juniors
Perth red said 9th game to sell to CBS

Plenty of options.
PNG & Pacific Islands This can be done without major money injections
NSW Country (run by the Sate organization) & Queensland Country, again run by State Organization
This would cash in on the regional in both crowds and Ratings.
Rest Of OZ- Based in Perth & Auckland/or South Island

PLUS a World Cup every year $$$$$$$$$. I want the league season to finish by the !st Cricket International Test or Mid Nov
Start the 9's season off on Austrlia Day (that will make basket weavers cry) at Cronulla with remaining games at night finishing with a final on the weekend (After Australia day)

http://www.nospam47.com/au/league/n...-johns-png-hunters/1b2dw8oj0lwqm188zvknqtdh7s

WE can have 10 million more fans ( clogging up LU ) Remember when league started in Sydney 1908 , streets were mainly dirt, horses everywhere and people used to wander the streets of Redern yelling Rabbits (os) and selling them out of a blood stained bag. With crime you had the razor gangs, sly grog shops and prosties , so who cares what Suva or more importantly Port Morseby is like. Hire heaps of secuirty...PNG and Pacific Islands teams 9th game. Get real colour into the NRL. (pay them above local wage rates, cooking with gas!

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
It makes sense to assume cbs will be on the hunt for Aus sports content for there online and tv platforms. We have 2 wide ranging 2nd tier comps (q Cup / nsw cup) plus 2 or even 4 new expansion options. A World Cup in USA/Canada in 2025 as well. Maybe a deal with cbs for $100 mil/yr to show the 9th game as well as Nrl/qrl/nswrl content. It also gets the foot in the door for the next round of tv deals. From all reports their sports all access online package is great and could supplement our Nrl media.

Does 9 have exclusive FTA rights though?

It does, for the next 5 years.

The thing is when the next TV rights deal rolls around, Channel 10 will have the financial resources to mount a serious bid for them, as well as being part of an organisation which has a reputation for good sports TV coverage. The mere fact 10 will be able to compete, if not offer more than Nine, and based on how professional their sports coverage is in the US, it should lead to a big shake up of TV sports coverage in Australia in my opinion.

colly

Juniors

The thing is when the next TV rights deal rolls around, Channel 10 will have the financial resources to mount a serious bid for them, as well as being part of an organisation which has a reputation for good sports TV coverage. The mere fact 10 will be able to compete, if not offer more than Nine, and based on how professional their sports coverage is in the US, it should lead to a big shake up of TV sports coverage in Australia in my opinion.

I'd want to see the contract. So even with a 9th or 10th game it CANT be sold to FTA. I would say they get first chance to buy, and then put out to market, but lets see.

This is the biggest thing to happen to sports rights in Australia since the launch of pay TV.

And hot on its heels we may see the likes of Facebook, Amazon, Netflix ect start bidding in the future.

I'd want to see the contract. So even with a 9th or 10th game it CANT be sold to FTA. I would say they get first chance to buy, and then put out to market, but lets see.

There is unlikely to be a 9th or 10th game anytime soon. Additionally, knowing the way Channel 9 and Fox Sports operate it probably is covered by their current contracts just in case. Until the current agreements expire, I very much doubt you are going to get two different FTA Channels televising the NRL In Australia.

Stallion

First Grade
There is unlikely to be a 9th or 10th game anytime soon. Additionally, knowing the way Channel 9 and Fox Sports operate it probably is covered by their current contracts just in case. Until the current agreements expire, I very much doubt you are going to get two different FTA Channels televising the NRL In Australia.

Perhaps. However channel 7 are covering the rugby league world cup. So the code is open to FTA options. I have a gut feel that a 2nd Brisbane team and a Perth team will be added to the NRL in the not too distant future. I believe the NRL strategic plan will unveil this intent in February. Overdue but progress nevertheless.

magpie_man

Juniors

It's probably just as well, expansion is such a delicate and strategic process, I'd hate to see it arbitrarily rushed-through just to cash-in on a new player at the poker table.
That said, the signs are looking positive for an NRL team on finally return to the West Coast with the recent announcements from the Pirates about fielding a team in the NSW Cup.

Perhaps. However channel 7 are covering the rugby league world cup. So the code is open to FTA options. I have a gut feel that a 2nd Brisbane team and a Perth team will be added to the NRL in the not too distant future. I believe the NRL strategic plan will unveil this intent in February. Overdue but progress nevertheless.

The World Cup is a different kettle of fish as the NRL don't have the authority to sell the TV rights for it.

As to expansion, when you have 70-80% of clubs ,making a loss each year, expansion? I don't see it coming in the short term. Anyway I'll leave it there as otherwise we start going off topic.

Stallion

First Grade
The World Cup is a different kettle of fish as the NRL don't have the authority to sell the TV rights for it.

As to expansion, when you have 70-80% of clubs ,making a loss each year, expansion? I don't see it coming in the short term. Anyway I'll leave it there as otherwise we start going off topic.
Most sports clubs don't run at a profit. They are set to grow the game. If financial growth occurs that's a bonus. My comment mentioned rugby league and not the NRL. Lets hope they can get together (RL organisations) and have something positive happen.

LineBall

Juniors
Just read that Channel 10 have signed Lisa Wilkinson from 9. Could be a good sign that they are tired of being 3rd best. Hopefully they get stronger and will be a contender for FTA next time round.