What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"American Rugby"?

Poul

Juniors
I posted this idea previously in the RLIF website thread, but thought it may get a wider audience here.

Should Rugby League in the US be renamed "American Rugby", and the terminologies of the game americanised to give Americans greater "ownership" of the game? I say it should!

Americans appear to be more favourably disposed to "American" sports, u.t., American Football, Basketball, Baseball, so renaming Rugby League, "American Rugby" may make it more palatable to American tastes than union which has previously been referred to as "English Rugby".

There are some obvious terminologies in the game which could be changed, such as "touchdown" for try, and "down" for tackle, "endzone" for ingoal. What other terminologies could be americanised, to give the game a greater American flavour?

I know there will be many here who will oppose this idea, but we already have different terminologies between Australia and England, u.t., Five Eighth c Stand Off, Lock c Loose Forward, Field Goal c Drop Goal.
In particular , I'm interested in the thoughts of our American and American based contributors. Let the flames begin :D

Footyhead2

Juniors
This idea has some merit. It would make the game easier to understand for us Americans (although Poal your terminology is a little off base).

It may also be helpful to make some changes to the rules of RL to make it more appealing to American football fans. eg: it is a little silly that passes can only be thrown backwards. If you allowed passes to be thrown forward it would liven up the offence instead of that relentless one-pass-take-it-up stuff that dominates RL.

How about also somehow incorporating some breaks into the game so player fatigue isn't so much of a factor, especially since the game is played in 95 degree heat in summer (37 degrees C)? This would allow more skills to be on show and not survival of who can stand the heat the most. So every five minutes have a time out and give the players a couple of minutes rest. It also allows the fans a chance to stretch our legs, get a beer, go to the bathroom, etc. This is something that we are used to while watching American football.

joshie

Live Update Team
This idea has some merit. It would make the game easier to understand for us Americans (although Poal your terminology is a little off base).

It may also be helpful to make some changes to the rules of RL to make it more appealing to American football fans. eg: it is a little silly that passes can only be thrown backwards. If you allowed passes to be thrown forward it would liven up the offence instead of that relentless one-pass-take-it-up stuff that dominates RL.

How about also somehow incorporating some breaks into the game so player fatigue isn't so much of a factor, especially since the game is played in 95 degree heat in summer (37 degrees C)? This would allow more skills to be on show and not survival of who can stand the heat the most. So every five minutes have a time out and give the players a couple of minutes rest. It also allows the fans a chance to stretch our legs, get a beer, go to the bathroom, etc. This is something that we are used to while watching American football.

in other words grid iron without the padding

billy2

Juniors
It would make zero difference to the players - call it a tackle, a down or a shit sandwich - it still hurts like a bitch.
It only makes a difference to the potential viewers on TV or youtube or whatever, and if it gets more fans involved, that's a good outcome.
Americans can make up all new words for everything if that floats their boat - they can call it murderball re name the ref a pink twinkie for all i care.

Jankuloski

Juniors
Better AR than USNRL or AMNRL as a name deffinitely.. call whatever what it suits them..

We have our own words for everything in Serbian, so do Aussies and the English.. it's about the rugby, not linguistics..

We Try to use the Football terms as much as possible when explaining to the Fans and Announcing.

However for purposes of players and Ref Communication we tend to stick to the proper terms.

We play 4 quarters (20 min each) to deal with the heat.

The Reason why (in RI anyway) our crowds are growing exponentially at each game is because we don't have the meticulousness stoppages that Football does. They love the fast pace hard hitting action. This is why our games attract fans. Did anyone see the USA v. Ireland - Absolutely boring

Poul

Juniors
We Try to use the Football terms as much as possible when explaining to the Fans and Announcing.

However for purposes of players and Ref Communication we tend to stick to the proper terms.

We play 4 quarters (20 min each) to deal with the heat.

The Reason why (in RI anyway) our crowds are growing exponentially at each game is because we don't have the meticulousness stoppages that Football does. They love the fast pace hard hitting action. This is why our games attract fans. Did anyone see the USA v. Ireland - Absolutely boring

Presumably you are using football terms when explaining Rugby League to fans and in game announcements, because it is easier for the uninitiated to understand.

Therefore, I believe it would be better for the game in the US to adopt these terminologies en masse, so there is no disconnect between the terms used by players and fans.

If the game were to adopt the name "American Rugby", would it not allow greater differentiation from union?

My impression (from afar) is that currently, most Americans who have any awareness of the rugby codes would probably not differentiate between the two codes, even when Rugby League is being referred to.

If you were to say that you played "American Rugby", then I would think that that would raise some questions, and garner greater interest from potential fans and sponsors, which would allow you to highlight the differences between the two codes, and with the adoption of American terminology, to showcase the "Americanness" of the game.

adamkungl

Immortal
Changing terminology to suit individual countries makes sense. Call a try a touchdown if you want, the word 'touchdown' actually describes what a try is far better than the word 'try', and also a try is a seemingly better use of the word touchdown than a touchdown itself, given that a touchdown in American Football doesnt actually need to be touched down. If that makes sense :lol:

But as for 'American Rugby'. No...because it simply is not American Rugby in any way. It makes no sense. What is American about it? Rugby League, Rugby, Rugby XIII are all far far superior.

Poul

Juniors
Changing terminology to suit individual countries makes sense. Call a try a touchdown if you want, the word 'touchdown' actually describes what a try is far better than the word 'try', and also a try is a seemingly better use of the word touchdown than a touchdown itself, given that a touchdown in American Football doesnt actually need to be touched down. If that makes sense :lol:

But as for 'American Rugby'. No...because it simply is not American Rugby in any way. It makes no sense. What is American about it? Rugby League, Rugby, Rugby XIII are all far far superior.

"American" Rugby would enable Rugby League to be distinguished from "English Rugby" , i.e., rugby union.

If Rugby League were to be called American Rugby in America with American terminologies, it would be, well ................ American !

adamkungl

Immortal
But Rugby Union and Rugby League are both "English" Rugby... I'm sorry I just can't agree with the blatant ignorance of fact for marketing purposes. I could say I'm American, doesn't make it so.

Poul

Juniors
But Rugby Union and Rugby League are both "English" Rugby... I'm sorry I just can't agree with the blatant ignorance of fact for marketing purposes. I could say I'm American, doesn't make it so.

Perception is 9/10ths of reality ;-)

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator

American Football originated out of an English game as well.

adamkungl

Immortal
American Football originated out of an English game as well.

But it is now a very different game, unique to America. How is that even a remotely relevant comparison?

It would be like playing American Football in England and calling it English Football hoping it gains more fans. It wouldn't make any sense.

wow looks like i sparked a conversation!!

Guys... either way i phrase it... i could call it ping pong rugby.. mst people will just call it rugby. to me it doesnt matter as long as they keep coming to my games. (like i said most union games on the east cost dont approach the numbers i was getting in my last games of the season).

I make a point when explaining what i play/own as being RUGBY LEAGUE aka Different than the version that people fight over the ball at every tackle. I am RUGBY LEAGUE THAT IS UNION. RL has 6 downs and no one fights at the tackle ... we just go again.

This is pretty much my stick but if ppl call it rugby i dont care... because almost all the people that come watch have never seen union or they have and after the RIR play they think union is boring.
(cause it is)

Goldcoasttiger

Juniors
The American League? TAL. American Super League? ASL. I think it is important to get the word league in there somehow as it will show it is further removed from 'Rugby' and give it its own identity.

billy2

Juniors
The American League? TAL. American Super League? ASL. I think it is important to get the word league in there somehow as it will show it is further removed from 'Rugby' and give it its own identity.
League is a confusing term because it has a common use meaning, and what makes it more confusing is that the top Union comp in America is already called the 'Rugby Super League'.

docbrown

Coach
I think rugby league would be best served overseas if it had a nickname that comes naturally from within the game itself to differentiate it from union.

Like association football can be called soccer where it isn't dominant or American football grid iron.

Goddo

Bench
American Rugby League - ARL. Could promote the game as

American Rugby,
Rugby,
Rugby League,
League or
ARL

All three words could imply either a sporting body or the sport itself.