What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AMNRL/USARL what if??

Bronco Rob

Juniors
We won't be travelling nationally as we cannot afford to but we are an AMNRL team. We will continue to play games locally as we have for the last three years against whatever opposition we can rustle up. We see ourselves as a minor league to the AMNRL's main competition and over time would like to grow the midwest conference idea to eventually feed into a national playoff scenario. This year have the planned Piranha Guard RL9s series which we are looking to run in May and June in Chicago.

Chicago Saints who is presently running the AMNRL, is Tatham still and his cronies still involved or have they left the scene?

Is there a reason why you are aligning yourself to the AMNRL, do you see them as your best option moving forward?

deal.with.it

Juniors
Curtis Cunz is the new president of the amnrl.

All AMNRL teams except the raiders will play in 2014. The raiders are yet to decide what to do.

Apparently, and i will wait for spinner, ryan or lawrence to confirm, the usarl and amnrl negotiators came to an agreement but it was the usarl clubs who werent happy with the agreement.

Perhaps this is what spinner was refering to when he spoke about the hypothetical business situation.

Chicago Saints

Juniors
Chicago Saints who is presently running the AMNRL, is Tatham still and his cronies still involved or have they left the scene?

Is there a reason why you are aligning yourself to the AMNRL, do you see them as your best option moving forward?

I can't speak for other regions/teams but the AMNRL have always helped us get our insurance at an affordable level, have donated uniforms to get us started in the past and have generally included us in everything despite us not playing in the main comp.

So there was never any reason for us not be aligned with them.

byrner

Juniors
I can't speak for other regions/teams but the AMNRL have always helped us get our insurance at an affordable level, have donated uniforms to get us started in the past and have generally included us in everything despite us not playing in the main comp.

So there was never any reason for us not be aligned with them.

Wow so your telling me the AMNRL isnt made up of evil beings determined to rule over Rugby League in the USA for personal greed and gain? I cant believe it; some people on this forum will be shocked.

Rodney

Juniors
"We decided to no longer tolerate foreign intrusion in U.S. RL domestic & international matters. No offense to our friends in Australia but we want the game in America "
So are they leaving the AMNRL?

Craigo

Juniors
"We decided to no longer tolerate foreign intrusion in U.S. RL domestic & international matters. No offense to our friends in Australia but we want the game in America "
So are they leaving the AMNRL?

I hope so! How any American domestic player would want ANYTHING to do with the AMNRL is beyond me.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Guys, please read carefully.

David Niu has nothing to do with amnrl.

Curtis Cunz is new president.

The knights will play in amnrl.

They are purely saying "the wc was a joke that steve johnson was the team manager. Sure he organised the tour, but now the wc is over and now we want to go back to managing our own league and national team."

David Niu selected steve johnson as team manager back during the qualifiers in 2011, but only for the quals and wc.

Steve Davy

Juniors
I hope so! How any American domestic player would want ANYTHING to do with the AMNRL is beyond me.

The AmNRL, for all its faults, is still the organisation that through its teams has intorduced many Manericans to rugby league. The politics is utterly unimportant ot most players. Understandably, many people are grateful to the organisation that gave them a chance to play and have no wish to dance on its grave.

Fighter

Juniors
Parra, I don't think it says they hate aussies at all, just the overseas influence being overbearing from one person involved in their hierarchy.
In fact here is their quote:
"We decided to no longer tolerate foreign intrusion in U.S. RL domestic & international matters. No offense to our friends in Australia but we want the game in America to be run exclusively by people who can physically be present at every game. We strongly believe that knowledge of the local reality and field commitment are the required attributes to move forward and put behind us this delusional hope that we’re about to become professional anytime soon."

Last edited:

Lone Ranger

Juniors
The AmNRL, for all its faults, is still the organisation that through its teams has intorduced many Manericans to rugby league. The politics is utterly unimportant ot most players. Understandably, many people are grateful to the organisation that gave them a chance to play and have no wish to dance on its grave.

http://rugbyleaguespotlight.com/amnr...reveals-truth

I don't believe that for a single second. Any decent player in the right mind would choose a better set of standards and way the competition is run. If the AMNRL was in decent shape then the NY Kings would have joined them!

The AMNRL has/is a complete mess and they have no idea how to fix it.

Steve Davy

Juniors
http://rugbyleaguespotlight.com/amnr...reveals-truth

I don't believe that for a single second. Any decent player in the right mind would choose a better set of standards and way the competition is run. If the AMNRL was in decent shape then the NY Kings would have joined them!

The AMNRL has/is a complete mess and they have no idea how to fix it.

I imagine that most AmNRL players are not too concerned about what is happening with the USARL and vice-versa. The politics matters a great deal to people on this forum, but players care that they can play.

Originally Posted by Rhode Island Rebellion View Post
Players do care about the politics because they have a stake in the game. They want to see the game do better and it being pushed forward. Thats one reason I went from a player to an owner.
Players want to see fans in the stands, they want to play in decent facilities... they want to have pride in their competition.... thats not just me talking that is the opinion of players... it might not be every player.. but its a fair majority... when the season is on and going sure thats one thing they worry about the season but Sept. thru May we are talking about all the different things we can do as a group to push the sport forward and get the community more involved.... raising the standards etc. ...

Boston13s

Juniors
Guys, please read carefully.

David Niu has nothing to do with amnrl.

Curtis Cunz is new president.

The knights will play in amnrl.

They are purely saying "the wc was a joke that steve johnson was the team manager. Sure he organised the tour, but now the wc is over and now we want to go back to managing our own league and national team."

David Niu selected steve johnson as team manager back during the qualifiers in 2011, but only for the quals and wc.

On their new website they have Steve listed as Tomahawks Team Manager & Football Development Manager. Interestingly they have Ben Kelly listed as Head Coach. Maybe Matterson's deal was just for RLWC2013.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Nice that the Knights have finally realized what has been obvious to everyone else for about 4 years.

Craigo

Juniors
I imagine that most AmNRL players are not too concerned about what is happening with the USARL and vice-versa. The politics matters a great deal to people on this forum, but players care that they can play.
So the Amnrl players who thought they had a shot at a spot in the WC, only to see an Aussie park footballer claim a spot in the squad wouldn't be concerned about the politics? Your kidding yourself!:roll:
When Wildhawk League was originally left out of the WC squad, he said he was DONE. They then change their minds, take him away as a figurehead, and now he is President of their league. He must be the only bloke that wouldn't be worried about the "politics".... :lol::lol:

Bronco Rob

Juniors
Wow so your telling me the AMNRL isnt made up of evil beings determined to rule over Rugby League in the USA for personal greed and gain? I cant believe it; some people on this forum will be shocked.

I don't think anyone has bagged their endeavours, what has been bagged is their lack of transparency and the dysfunctional way the League has been run in the past few years and the lack of willingness to let others outside of the inner sanctum have some control. I have stated before Niu did a great job in getting the game started in the US but I think as the game got bigger he wanted to maintain that ownership which is understandable but it was to the detriment of the game.

I think the players and coaching staff of the teams deserve to have a stable environment in which to play in. In the last few years there seemed to be a greater emphasis by the AMNRL on the National side rather than the local state of the game something that is currently mirrored in Italy with the FIRL.

It's been extremely frustrating watching it as someone who is very much involved in Rugby League, we've heard for years about the potential of the game in the US but over the last few years we've seen the NRLUS debacle, the professional league plan when the US had a couple of successful clubs but mostly park footy sides and no grass root development. Then there was the sell-off to Grand Prix which was supposed to revolutionise the game in the US, then the Melbourne Storm non-event, the game in Hawaii against Samoa which was used as a promotional tool for Hawaii Rugby Union etc etc. The endeavour has been there but there has been a lack of patience and planning and I really would have liked to have seen the AMNRL run the national side while the USARL run the local competitions.