What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AMNRL/USARL what if??

deal.with.it

Juniors
Of course matterson's post was only for the wc.

And yes the amnrl has been dysfunctional.

But now the wc is over, the knights and most clubs are wishing to claim back ownership.

The amnrl might have been dysfunctional, and the usarl may be trying a more professional approach, BUT there is nothing wrong with the amnrl teams playing within their means snd enjoying playing footy as thry have done for 15 years.

They dont have to aim for professionalism, just because aussie fans want that outcome.

Fatwing15

Juniors
The Knights email is pretty much on point. Although, I don't really see any indication of them leaving the AMNRL. In fact, I get the impression that the new AMNRL management is listening to the message of that email and working to improve in that direction.

I also heard that the group running the league like Curtis and the rest of the guys (whose names I cant remember) are all based in the US and had little to do with the world cup selections or the old regime like Tatham, Grand Prix and what ever other 3rd parties that people have mentioned (i cant keep up with all of that nonsense) That is why I was really confident in the leagues merging.

Spinner's "hypothetical" explanation gave some pretty good insight as too why the leagues shouldn't just merge with out a more thought put plan, and how there should be a more intensive process. However, I would like to know why so many people seemed confident that the merger would happen or at least there would be movement in that direction, and that there would be an announcement coming shortly. Yet when the time came, all we received was SILENCE which sadly, is pretty typical of Rugby league in the US. I would like to know if there are still discussions between the two leagues and if a merger before the season starts is even feasible.

Rugby league spot light really did a poor job with their article. All they did was post an email asking that things improve. Which it seems they are, nothing earth shattering in the email to me. RL spotlight could of maybe done some actual reporting, drawn some fact based conclusions, and maybe conduct an interview with the person who posted that email to clarify the emails purpose. Feel like the missed an opportunity.

Last edited:

deal.with.it

Juniors
And another point that comes out from certain amnrl individuals as to why the merger isnt so simple is the idea that certain usarl individuals have big egos, talk with business jargon and portray an image of a non exist professionalism.

I would say to those amnrl individuals that you dont have to like the owners of every usarl club.

Look at the likes of Koukash in super league.

Rival clubs might not particularly like him, but he's definitely good for the game.

Bronco Rob

Juniors
Of course matterson's post was only for the wc.

And yes the amnrl has been dysfunctional.

But now the wc is over, the knights and most clubs are wishing to claim back ownership.

The amnrl might have been dysfunctional, and the usarl may be trying a more professional approach, BUT there is nothing wrong with the amnrl teams playing within their means snd enjoying playing footy as thry have done for 15 years.

They dont have to aim for professionalism, just because aussie fans want that outcome.

That's fine is they want to play park footy but you can't just say you're content in playing footy within their means and not be aiming for professionalism and then want to participate in the Rugby League World Cup. But that is why we need unification so that there are more teams so those who want to just participate can do so and those that strive for more are in a seperate comp.

I think most Aussie and fans all around the world want to see unification of the bodies and some stability foremost as well as grass roots development which over time may lead to the game being more professional. I'm sure most RL fans here aren't that delusional to think it will happen overnight just because the 2 bodies merge together.

Fatwing15

Juniors
That's fine is they want to play park footy but you can't just say you're content in playing footy within their means and not be aiming for professionalism and then want to participate in the Rugby League World Cup. But that is why we need unification so that there are more teams so those who want to just participate can do so and those that strive for more are in a seperate comp. .

Taking Spinners hypothetical post into consideration, This maybe already established, but get a committee of members from both leagues (which I think has already happened). And then as a group come up the most important aspects of being an organized, respectable and competitive club. You could then score each teams on a ten point scale. You can then rank the teams according to this audit of sorts. 10 highest scoring teams make the premier division and the rest now have specific guidelines and have a good idea of what they need to improve on to achieve full membership status the next year. You could conduct this as a blind audit, and even have a 3rd party conduct it. ( I'm sure this is not an original idea lol)

The teams that clearly make it IMO are the Fight, Jax, Knights, WildCats. I've seen all of their facilities and they seem to be at the front of the pack.
Then You have RIR, and the Bulls, only reason I put RIR outside of the "locks" is that that I heard an Unverified rumor that there is an issue with their field dimensions (maybe Larry can confirm, but I've never been there). And the Bulls lack a strong web presence.

Next group includes teams that have good history and should probably be in if they make some specific attainable improvements. However, they do have some issues, such as, forfeited games, or been beaten by 100 points, or have a field with out lockers or bathrooms. Slayers are probably in the best position of this group but I haven't played their since the split and don't remember them having lockers but playing in a pretty cool location. Others are Dragons, Eagles, Sharks, 13s, Raiders, and the Baltimore Blues. Not sure where the Brooklyn Kings stack up, but I'm interested to see how they go through the application process. It seems that a new start up team would have an easier time meeting the AMNRLs more lax requirements. One thing that the AMNRL does well is help newer teams in regards to travel, expenses, ect and allow them to build a foundation with out being hit with large entry fees or fear of harsh punishment for not meeting certain criteria, I'm aware this has its drawbacks as well.

Craigo

Juniors
The Knights email is pretty much on point. Although, I don't really see any indication of them leaving the AMNRL. In fact, I get the impression that the new AMNRL management is listening to the message of that email and working to improve in that direction.

I also heard that the group running the league like Curtis and the rest of the guys (whose names I cant remember) are all based in the US and had little to do with the world cup selections or the old regime like Tatham, Grand Prix and what ever other 3rd parties that people have mentioned (i cant keep up with all of that nonsense) That is why I was really confident in the leagues merging.

Spinner's "hypothetical" explanation gave some pretty good insight as too why the leagues shouldn't just merge with out a more thought put plan, and how there should be a more intensive process. However, I would like to know why so many people seemed confident that the merger would happen or at least there would be movement in that direction, and that there would be an announcement coming shortly. Yet when the time came, all we received was SILENCE which sadly, is pretty typical of Rugby league in the US. I would like to know if there are still discussions between the two leagues and if a merger before the season starts is even feasible.

Rugby league spot light really did a poor job with their article. All they did was post an email asking that things improve. Which it seems they are, nothing earth shattering in the email to me. RL spotlight could of maybe done some actual reporting, drawn some fact based conclusions, and maybe conduct an interview with the person who posted that email to clarify the emails purpose. Feel like the missed an opportunity.

How could they do actual reporting? This would require questions to be answered, something the AmNRL just don't seem to want to do. I have asked questions on different forums, social media and their website(s) for no response at all.
You said it yourself, "all we received was SILENCE which sadly, is pretty typical of Rugby league in the US."

The teams that clearly make it IMO are the Fight said:
Our field is probably one of the most legitimate w/ regards to actual width, and our length is well within regulation as well. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Clas...8,0.397568&oq=classical+High+School+&t=h&z=18

We have the field painted to extend beyond the football field dimensions.

We paid 10K along with the Alumni Association to have new stands put it.
We have showers and changing rooms
We even have two warm up pitches
we have 3 parking lots.
We have concessions - over the past few seasons we have experimented with different vendors.

The only thing we don't have is Booze but that is impossible to get at any field in Rhode Island (and most new england states - Puritans). That being said we have been working actively with State and City officials in order to try and fix that problem.

Fatwing15

Juniors
Our field is probably one of the most legitimate w/ regards to actual width, and our length is well within regulation as well. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Clas...8,0.397568&oq=classical+High+School+&t=h&z=18

We have the field painted to extend beyond the football field dimensions.

We paid 10K along with the Alumni Association to have new stands put it.
We have showers and changing rooms
We even have two warm up pitches
we have 3 parking lots.
We have concessions - over the past few seasons we have experimented with different vendors.

The only thing we don't have is Booze but that is impossible to get at any field in Rhode Island (and most new england states - Puritans). That being said we have been working actively with State and City officials in order to try and fix that problem.

Ok, I apologize for posting bad info. That would put you in my category of "locks" to be included in the premier competition if your team didn't stink. As long as that little Italian guy who busted his knee at the 9's tournament last year is in the starting lineup, you will see RIR losing by triple digits quite a bit...:sarcasm::lol:

joshreading

Staff member
It would seem that with Brooklyn Kings formally going with the USARL (on their facebook) that the USARL will be up to atleast 10 sides. (presuming they meet the qualifications)

Any word on the Raiders or teams like the Warriors making a come back?

Choo Choo

Juniors
It would seem that with Brooklyn Kings formally going with the USARL (on their facebook) that the USARL will be up to atleast 10 sides. (presuming they meet the qualifications)

Any word on the Raiders or teams like the Warriors making a come back?

The 4th annual USARL Board Meeting will be held this next weekend in Philadelphia and based on the discussions held there, more information should be forthcoming in the next few days/weeks.

This is now me speaking with just my opinion. I know many of you want information and righly so; however, its my opinion that the USARL wants to provide you with accurate, truthful information instead of just saying something to keep a conversation going. I believe that this is the best path to follow so we don't have to come back and change/revise information.

Thanks for your patience fellas.