What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AMNRL Week #5

Tomahawk

Staff member
lloydy said:
As it has been said the home team usually has a huge numbers advantage in most AMNRL games. What I would like to see is more communication between the clubs with the possibility of playing a reserve game. Even if it's 10 on 10 for 40 minutes it's better than nothing and ensures that eveyone gets a run and would restict the need for endless interchanges during the final 20 just to appease the subs.

Well said lloydy and I believe that is something that would be fair to everyone. Correct me if I am wrong in the two Grand Finals you were with the Wildcats you guys had 25 guys suit up and the Bulls suited up about 3 or 4 more players. Would i be correct with that number?

phat cat

Juniors
The Point is not to punish players that work hard to be a part of a team. the point is that you shouldnt have guys on your bench that come in through out the game for a set of six then go back to the bench have a drink then come back on 10 minutes later when they catch their breath. RL is a fit mans game not a fat mans game.

spinnerhowland

Juniors
T-Hawk, send me down the $'s and I will bring our whole roster of 29 players.
You have made your point and we ALL get it. I don't agree with you and such is the debate, but the truth is that with the current expansion and the increased distance ALL teams are going to have to make this year to play in the finals you cannot deny that the HOME team gets a huge advantage by having as many players. As for us beating the Bulls, yes I think we are a chance. The game in JAX was 36 to 22. We kick all of our goals and it is 36 to 30. I know you are going to say you had players out, but so did we. 2 of the better players we have did not play so AT least give us our dues and stop writing us off.
I have said all I am going to on this matter and still stand by that finals games NEED to be limited to 20 players per team.
FIT MANS GAME not FAT MANS GAME, I love it!

Lantana

Juniors
Tomohawk,

If you are looking to play the most pristine levels of Rugby League then only the very best athletes should be on the field.

That's the way it is in the NRL, all the blokes who aren't quite good enough, either go back to the weights room, training paddock etc and become good enough or slink off to play Rugby Union.

If the sport is to have credibility surely the very basis of any competitive match has to be both teams have to start with the same amount of players and use a similar amount of substitutions. That is basic.

How will the Tomohawks fair when they play the South Africans or West Indies, heaven forbid third place from the Pacific nations where they have to play international rules? My god, you will have players stuggling to compete for 10 mins if they aren't taught the basics of anerobic endurance at club level.

Max 20 players and 20 substitutions. If your not good enough, your not good enough...so what your part of the team and you should still support them.

tcc_dc

Juniors
As Lloydy says, more teams need to work together to get second side periods in.

As for Tomahawk, to say that the more players the better chance a team such as the Axemen, Sharks, Slayers, etc.. have of beating a team such as the Bulls is bunk. A lot of "lower" teams have a good set of 13, but when you get down into the reserves, this is where there is a big difference.

As for getting to play, this is a man's sport. If you are not part of the best 17-20, then too bad when it comes to the playoffs. It should motivate you to make that squad.

For example, if the Axemen travel to Connecticut, and they have 17 on 25, what if the Axemen get two injuries in the first 10. Then the advantage of numbers comes into play. It is not necessarily that Conn is better than Jax, but that they have people to keep slamming.

Just my two cents.

tcc

spinnerhowland

Juniors
If, and that is a big IF, the Axemen make the play offs they will not field more than 20 players for the game if it at home or away.

lloydy

Juniors
I heard from the "higher ups" there will be a limit to the number allowed to dress for the play-offs this year.

What Phat Cat is getting at is in last years grand final there was a period where the bulls were able to get 3 repeat sets close to the Cats line. The Bulls brought on a couple of 300 lbers to hit up the first couple and then quickly switched them out for speedier guys to finish the set, this was repeated throughout the game and really drained the Cats defence. If the numbers were limited these huge un-athletic guys would not have been on the roster. Not sour grapes just pure fact.

Tomahawk

Staff member
First it is simple, the three teams in the AMNRL this year are the Knights, Bulls, and Wildcats. The other 8 teams in the league are not going to be able to put a team of 17 players and beat one of these three teams. So why don’t we have a playoff with these three teams because two of them are going to be in the AMNRL Grand Final, and one of them is going to beat the other in the playoffs.

I was talking to one of my co-workers tonight about this very issue, and he pointed out something to me. The fan base in the AMNRL is Glen Mills School students, and a fan base of family members, girlfriends, and friends of the players. He also pointed out one reason why soccer will never reach the same level as it is in Europe is because it is not a fast paced game. He said American sports fans want to see games with out of scoring. Take a minute and talk to someone who has never seen a rugby game or does not play and see what he or she thinks.

Finally like I have said the competition in the AMNRL is getting better every year. Spinner I understand your issue of cost when it comes to travel. Just think of the travel cost of the Knights, Wildcats, Raiders, and Bulls for the past two years. All of those teams have done a lot of traveling in the past two years or more. Maybe they did not have the expenses that the Jacksonville team as indoored this year, but I bet it is a lot more then you think. Ask Potale or Bobo how much of their own personal money they have spent over the years.

The AMNRL is not the NRL. If a Tomahawk team needs to be ensembled of 20 players right now it would not be hard to assemble with the talent in the league. The NRL has a competition of 15 teams, with several different levels before the professional level. The AMNRL needs to develop that first.

I am not against a 20-man roster. I am against doing the 20-man roster now. I believe the AMNRL needs to continue in the direction it is going now, and start to develop an 18 to 25 competition, and an under 18 competition. This does not mean that if a player in the 18 to 25 competitions is good enough to go to the next level they can’t. The AMNRL needs to keep developing.

roopy

Referee
I'd like to see a second division.
I think it would encourage a lot more players to get involved if they could start at a lower level.
From where i sit (10,000 miles away), it seems odd that a comp could match up players who are good enough to play Premier League in Australia against guys playing their first ever game of League.
An entry level comp is needed IMO.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Man... one of the major facets of Rugby league is that it is a game of attrition.

You're sort of missing the point. First I thought it was just unlimted sized bench... but it's also unlimited interchange to is it ?

Mr_Ugly had the right idea.... limit the first grade squad to 20, the rest can play a 9's reserve grade, and make the reserve grade more local to cut out the expenses.

Tomahawk

Staff member
Kurt Angle said:
Man... one of the major facets of Rugby league is that it is a game of attrition.

You're sort of missing the point. First I thought it was just unlimted sized bench... but it's also unlimited interchange to is it ?

Mr_Ugly had the right idea.... limit the first grade squad to 20, the rest can play a 9's reserve grade, and make the reserve grade more local to cut out the expenses.

Yes rght now it is unlimited sized bench and unlimitted interchange.

I just believer you need to keep it they way it is going now, and build the junior levels. Then your top level can be a side of 20 man teams when you have a strong foundation.

As for Mr_Ugly's idea, I would say it is a better start then to just go to a 20 man roster during playoffs, and not letting the players in the league know this before the season started.

Latest posts