What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amnrl

Rugbyflorida

Juniors
Surely the Pioneers were missing out on some key players with Fight and Axemen playing the following week?

Ive always known the police teams to be very tough. Great to see the Pioneers progressing forwards and good competition for some of the new guys and inttroducing them to quality sides.

Cunz, Clark brothers, Garvery, Kniesley, or Alley have a go this weekend?

spinnerhowland

Juniors
Guys, please remember what the Pioneers team is. Is it not the "National Team". It is an opportunity for all players, providing they have enough experience to withstand the team being played, a chance to help grow the game and represent the USARL.
The team was made up 100% of USA Players (no heritage or imports) from the three new teams in the Southern Conference. This means that every player had only 1 season of League under their belts.
In defense they were just as tough as the NZ team and a few of the visitors found out the hard way just how hard the USA guys can hit. It was the speed of the game and the sets plays of the NZ team that let the score grow. The USA team come together at 1.30pm on game day for an hour and half planning run thru and then the game. 5 Tampa Mayhem / 5 Central FL Warriors / 8 Atlanta Rhinos.
And I can now tell you that there are 18 players who have played one season of RL who are hoping for long careers in the game and are already asking about next season, more opportunity, etc. etc.
And a handful of them proved they will have a very good chance and National Team selection when the time comes.

Here is what the pioneers are about - http://www.usarl.com/2014/03/usa-pioneers-begin-a-new-era-for-touring-development-teams/

gyallop

Juniors
Great concept but the promotion confused things by the constant reference to USA v NZ and an International so outwardly a 62 6 scoreline looks a bad result.

If you picked your "2/3" national team what would it be?

gyallop

Juniors
I understand what you're saying, but I still think that model impedes the growth of the sport in the US as a whole.

Being an American Citizen, Registered and playing in the USA Domestic Comp for 2 years is NOT a hard criteria to be met. There are currently 11 teams in the USARL. Let's say each team has a roster/pool of 30 active players; and say 6 of which are "imports"; that still leave a selection pool of 264 players. So you're telling me that of that 264, there aren't 16-20 qualified and talented players?

I just read this. Rugger are you seriously suggesting that a selection pool of 264 players will produce 16 -20 players with enough talent to be competitive on the world stage??

Rugbyflorida

Juniors
Guys, please remember what the Pioneers team is. Is it not the "National Team". It is an opportunity for all players, providing they have enough experience to withstand the team being played, a chance to help grow the game and represent the USARL.
The team was made up 100% of USA Players (no heritage or imports) from the three new teams in the Southern Conference. This means that every player had only 1 season of League under their belts.
In defense they were just as tough as the NZ team and a few of the visitors found out the hard way just how hard the USA guys can hit. It was the speed of the game and the sets plays of the NZ team that let the score grow. The USA team come together at 1.30pm on game day for an hour and half planning run thru and then the game. 5 Tampa Mayhem / 5 Central FL Warriors / 8 Atlanta Rhinos.
And I can now tell you that there are 18 players who have played one season of RL who are hoping for long careers in the game and are already asking about next season, more opportunity, etc. etc.
And a handful of them proved they will have a very good chance and National Team selection when the time comes.

Righto, well good on the fellas out there climbing the progression latter and gret awareness of the game in central florida then.

spinnerhowland

Juniors
Thanks for that Spinner. Great concept.

Thanks mate - the game was a great success for the USARL, the Warriors and the players. Something the Pioneers were designed to do. It is a concept that we will certainly continue to develop at the USA Rugby League progresses the game across the USA. All sorts of opportunities coming in over the last week.

100%green

Juniors
So does anyone know who was responsible or what the point of the post was for on the USA Tomahawks World Cup Facebook page?

roughyedspud

Coach
heres what was wrote 8hours ago

The USARL have played two alleged internationals featuring their best players this month. Canada won 52-14. New Zealand police won 62-6. This is why heritage players are needed. USA will not qualify for next World Cup without heritage players who will bring the best out of the domestic players.

ridiculous

gyallop

Juniors
loose post but maybe they were confused over the promotion USA V New Zealand , Two Countries One Winner etc ...Pioneers is a wonderful concept but you need to not over promote it.

spinnerhowland

Juniors

Righto, well good on the fellas out there climbing the progression latter and gret awareness of the game in central florida then.

Yeah mate, is was a great promotion. Billing the game as New Zealand vs. USA for the City of Deland was huge and really impacted the turn out. Having an international team play a USA team in a the small town of Deland really got the attention of the locals and some media as well. There were a lot of people who said it was their first game of Rugby League and they had come to support the USA team. And having guys from all three teams meant that fans come from Tampa, Orlando, Daytona Beach and Atlanta. It was a great concept with a really good promotional edge to increase the crowd and get new fans to the game. And the game could not have been any better. Massive Hits and 3 guys with lacerations who went back in after getting patched up. The fans were blown away. It was huge for the Warriors and the growth of the game it the region. The City of Deland talked to us after the game and they are ready to commit to the venue rental for 2015 already.
That is the advantage of having an business partner who owns his own marketing and advertising firm. We are able to look at all the data on what works to promote and market to the American sports fan in general. Being able to understand the business of sports from within the USA and get solid research on how to drive a "foreign" product into the market is very valuable.

Last edited:

gyallop

Juniors
Yeah mate, is was a great promotion. Billing the game as New Zealand vs. USA for the City of Deland was huge and really impacted the turn out. Having an international team play a USA team in a the small town of Deland really got the attention of the locals and some media as well. There were a lot of people who said it was their first game of Rugby League and they had come to support the USA team. And having guys from all three teams meant that fans come from Tampa, Orlando, Daytona Beach and Atlanta. It was a great concept with a really good promotional edge to increase the crowd and get new fans to the game. And the game could not have been any better. Massive Hits and 3 guys with lacerations who went back in after getting patched up. The fans were blown away. It was huge for the Warriors and the growth of the game it the region. The City of Deland talked to us after the game and they are ready to commit to the venue rental for 2015 already.
That is the advantage of having an business partner who owns his own marketing and advertising firm. We are able to look at all the data on what works to promote and market to the American sports fan in general. Being able to understand the business of sports from within the USA and get solid research on how to drive a "foreign" product into the market is very valuable.

What a lie? Is that how to grow a trusted business brand in a market place? Not my view but he is the expert and your call.

still keen on your thoughts on how a 2/3 team would look?

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
So gyallop, I've noticed a change in your posts since the demise of the AMNRL. You've gone from "keeper of the faith" to troll. Good stuff.

spinnerhowland

Juniors
The National Championship was great success guys. New Zealand vs. USA Barbarians for the Curtain Raiser, and an incredible game for the GF. Overall it was a huge event that will help drive RL further into the USA Domestic Market.

gyallop

Juniors
So gyallop, I've noticed a change in your posts since the demise of the AMNRL. You've gone from "keeper of the faith" to troll. Good stuff.

I dont think you have read many than or that in suggesting that it isnt the best thing for anyone to sell a product as something that it isnt without a "bagging" of them nor do I think asking people for to pick a side based on their suggested model I am being a troll.

I think it is wonderful that the Auckland Police self fund a tour to play some RL in the USA but it isnt USA V NZ or an international. It is a team from NZ playing a team from the USA, enjoy it and promote it for what it is rather than promoting a VW as a porsche! As I said if that's how the promoters want to do it than that is their call.