What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amos Roberts tells of the family's pride in Rabbitohs' rookie James Roberts

AMOS Roberts has spent the week preparing for two big games. One took place in the early hours of today when his English club Wigan met arch-rivals St Helens, always one of the most anticipated games on the Super League calendar.

The other will take place this afternoon, when his nephew James will make his first grade debut at fullback for South Sydney against Canterbury at ANZ Stadium.
"I am stoked. I am over the moon," Amos Roberts told The Weekend Australian from England. "We're all a close bunch and really proud of him. All the family is very proud of him. It's a special occasion for him and my family. He's worked so hard."
Amos, a star with St George Illawarra and the Sydney Roosters before moving to England, can take much of the credit for James' startling rise to first grade.
Until he moved to Wigan, Amos put a roof over James' head, after the family decided it would be best if the teenager moved from his home on NSW's far north coast to Sydney.
"He lived with me and my partner in Sydney," Amos said.
"It was my sister's idea because she wanted him out of the country town, just to give him a better chance in life with his schooling and football.
"We always thought education was the main priority, so we would try to put him through school down in Sydney.
"But also I guess it would have been better being around me. It would be a lot more stable and I could look after him a bit more, try to help him out as best as I could, because I know I never had that. Coming from the country it's not easy."
Roberts hasn't looked back. As a member of the Rabbitohs' Toyota Cup side, he starred last season. This year has been even better. In six games, Roberts has scored 11 tries.
Coach John Lang eventually had no choice but to give him a game, particularly given the disappointing form of Rhys Wesser.
"He is pretty light on his feet and pretty quick," said Amos, who spoke to James this week.
"He has always found his way to the try-line. I could tell when I was talking to him that he was nervous. I just told him I was nervous when I made my first grade debut. I said it comes with the game. I said just go and enjoy it -- don't worry about making a mistake, just do what you have been doing in the 20s.
"He loved his football. He lived and breathed it. He always played football no matter what. I know he's only young. That's why it was a bit of a surprise _ from our point in the family, we still think he's a little baby.
"He's just turned 18. Then again it's pretty special. Just turning 18 and playing your first, first-grade game.
"Not many people do that."

Latest posts