What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Idea From Left Field Pt 2.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I've been thinking about this for a little while and I thought i'd put it out there for discussion.

I'd also like to thank Overseas Dragon for posting this in the Mann thread and sparking my motivation to post a thread about it. It's obviously not an original idea.

What do people think about the possibility of Widdop at fullback next season? All of this talk of the evolution of the fullback role, one would think that he fits that role perfectly. He seems to have no problem running the ball, can break the line and he is a natural 5/8 to the core which would be potent attacking the line. He's played a lot of fullback before too.
This could slide Kurt Mann or Jai Field into the 5/8 role to partner Hunt and shift Dugan to the centres. It's also a possibility if we lose Dugan to a rival club altogether.
Yes, Dugan is a try-saver. He's a rock in defence and a metre eater in attack but we have to face the reality that he even if he doesn't leave us, the toll the fullback role will take on his massive frame will be huge. Not to mention i've seen too many backline shifts die with Duges when there is a potential overlap if he just knew how to throw that cut out ball. Someone like Widdop could follow through with this.
Now please understand, whilst Dugan has some faults in his game, i'd still have him at fullback regardless. This is more or less just an idea for the future.

Any thoughts?

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Agree with your thoughts fellas, he's hitting form at 5/8 that's a fair call.

I'm talking about next year however not this year, and it's not exactly like he won't get his hands on the ball as often, he can play a similar role from the back.

Prometheus

Juniors
This isn't really a new idea. Widdop was originally a fullback but was never going to get to stay one when he went to Melbourne because of Billy Slater. When the Dragons signed Hunt for next year, with Jai Field also under contract, people started suggesting that Widdop could be moved to fullback.

SBD82

Coach
While I agree that Widdop could make the transition, I think his best spot is at 6.

I also think that Mann would be a very good replacement at 1 if we lose Dugan. I know he had a couple of shockers at the start of last year, but I really think that was from nerves rather than a lack of skill. With the first grade experience that he has had since then I'd really like to see how he would go at 1.

Life's Good

Coach
May have been something to look at last year to break up the Widdop/Benji debacle(when Duges was on rep duty or injured). I can't see it next year or beyond for a couple of reasons 1)Widdop looks like the player we wanted when he signed on 2)I don't think he has the outright speed that would be ideal in a fullback eg. Slater, Hayne which may sort of tie in with the whole Jai Field future.

hazzbeen

Bench
May have been something to look at last year to break up the Widdop/Benji debacle(when Duges was on rep duty or injured). I can't see it next year or beyond for a couple of reasons 1)Widdop looks like the player we wanted when he signed on 2)I don't think he has the outright speed that would be ideal in a fullback eg. Slater, Hayne which may sort of tie in with the whole Jai Field future.
The problem with all this is Mary wont take chances with anyone to see if players are suited elsewhere he didnt do it when we were getting hammered week in week out . I cant see him trying anything new this year . Changes should of happened last year .

TruSaint

Referee
Any attempt at Gaz at FB, should have been explored last year when we had the opportunity. His form, prior to injury this year has been 1st rate.

He is a genuine 6 , whom can play FB, but to move him now would be a massive call. Just when he has reached top level and has confidence in his game.

ALSGI

Bench
Tom,

Your post has merrit imo. Probably about a year or so early though, unless we have casualties through injuries or contracts.
Just shouldn't be on the radar atm.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Question Tom - why? What would we gain?

Given Widdop's form, ability and leadership, there's not much to gain from moving him from the halves. Would be far better off just putting Mann at fullback.

100% understand where you're coming from and as I said I would still have Duges at fullback.

It's more or less to gain attacking potency in our opposition 20.
You might argue that we are currently the highest point scoring team in the competition with Duges and fullback and Widdop at 5/8 and you'd be right, it's a valid point, but looking back on most of our tries, minimal have come from backline shifts and I just think that we would gain so much from having that last pass from Widdop at fullback hitting a winger on the chest, or a shot ball to a barnstorming Frizell.

Mann at fullback works too to be fair.

BennyV

Referee
100% understand where you're coming from and as I said I would still have Duges at fullback.

It's more or less to gain attacking potency in our opposition 20.
You might argue that we are currently the highest point scoring team in the competition with Duges and fullback and Widdop at 5/8 and you'd be right, it's a valid point, but looking back on most of our tries, minimal have come from backline shifts and I just think that we would gain so much from having that last pass from Widdop at fullback hitting a winger on the chest, or a shot ball to a barnstorming Frizell.

Mann at fullback works too to be fair.
I agree that we need that extra potency on the attack (I dont buy into the whole 'top point scorer' as it's too small a sample right now) but the addition of Hunt alone should allow that. And Mann to fullback (given he is a bit quicker and seems more agile than Widdop) gives us advantages over moving Widdop there.

Assume Hunt plays both sides of the ruck, then you have Mann being the link on one side and Widdop being the link on the other. Ball playing options all over the shop.

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Its not the worst idea but he has hit great form this year at 5/8 and his combo with Hunt should be awesome next season. It just wouldn't be worth the risk,i think.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
TRVR, I think your idea has merits and probably would have been a real option last year. However, with GW hitting form and we are playing good footy through more freedom, I think 6 is where he needs to stay. His combo with Hunt will be very entertaining I believe.
As far as Mann is concerned, he is a confidence player, and I think he's gaining more confidence with game time. If Dugan doesn't re-sign then I would make some changes this year, when we play the lesser form teams. It's then I would play Mann at fullback and Dugan at centre (in place of Aitken). After seeing Mann's passing, speed and evasive skills last week he would be a star at fullback IMO, a bit like Tedesco or even Slater.

Bench
Playing devils advocate: If Widdop plays fullback he would ask for FullBack money, that is if what he will be getting as a 5/8 is less then the fullback.

Latest posts