What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And now are you glad we have signed Ben Hunt ?

Life's Good

Coach
McCrone has a better kicking game than Hunt and yes, I am serious.
I know Broncs fans criticise that one aspect of his game and have done for a while now. The big upside is his running & passing game which will help give our attack the lift it needs. As for his kicking game he will have Widdop alongside him who will do the majority of kicking. It's been years since we had a genuine 7 which is why Hunt signing is massive for us(as well as his pocket).

possm

Coach
People on here attack Dugan. People on here attack Widdop.

Our team need genuine stars and these are two of them.

Wake up you need some leaders to win the big games. They need to sign Dugan and packer - for overs through TP's like all the other clubs. Our management are useless.

Even with Baths Babes we had a fella called Steve Edge who while still young was one of those natural leaders along with Craig Young.
Our stars or marquee players are not the problem, it is our Club officias who main concern is there own financial security. Now we have lost Packer and look like losing Dugan, what is the B plan for 2018? I wonder if they have even considered one.

For us to see success in 2018 we need like for like replacement of the marquee players we have lost. We also need a coach who is experience and can think. If we have lost Milne to the Tigers, we need to find an experienced first grader for right centre, Herbert is a backup at this stage in his career. Same goes for fullback and prop. An effort should be made to keep Mann.

Reactions: Qdf

Minh

First Grade
Ben Hunt will be one of the best signings we've had in years....a genuine number 7, can't wait to see him in the Red V. If I had to be critical in the past his kicking games was poor especially when the game was on the line but his kicking game prior to injury this year has been first class....

possm

Coach
Ben Hunt will be one of the best signings we've had in years....a genuine number 7, can't wait to see him in the Red V. If I had to be critical in the past his kicking games was poor especially when the game was on the line but his kicking game prior to injury this year has been first class....
Ben Hunt is only one of the answers to our problems. We need a better backline and a better coach. If Dugan and Packer walk - and it looks likely to be the case, the Club needs to recruit some quick experienced backs and get rid of the dead wood. Lafai had his worst game this year and McCrone although not in the frame for 2018, also had a shocker. Our right side edge was hopeless in defence again.

Dragons 09

Juniors
I know Broncs fans criticise that one aspect of his game and have done for a while now. The big upside is his running & passing game which will help give our attack the lift it needs. As for his kicking game he will have Widdop alongside him who will do the majority of kicking. It's been years since we had a genuine 7 which is why Hunt signing is massive for us(as well as his pocket).

You are right mate, the donkeys fans do give him a hard time over his kicking game. I live up in Brissy so i see quite a few donks games and yes, while he has some bad days with the boot, show me a half back who doesn't.
Overall his general play kicking is fine (and light years better than McCrone), it's only the donks fans who carry on about it but that is more to do with how uneducated and rugby league arrogant the muppets are rather than any major problem with his kicking game. And agree with you about his running and passing game, it's very good and he's also a good defender......great signing.

blaza88z

Coach

I don't doubt that, he's a great player. I just don't understand all the Dragons fans saying "if we had Hunt instead of McCrone, we would have won that game last night".. he may have scored a good try or something like that but his kicking game wouldn't have won it for you

Life's Good

Coach
I don't doubt that, he's a great player. I just don't understand all the Dragons fans saying "if we had Hunt instead of McCrone, we would have won that game last night".. he may have scored a good try or something like that but his kicking game wouldn't have won it for you
McCrone gave up several 7 tackle sets. Hunt doesn't have THAT bad a kicking game. Also, as you say 'he may have scored a good try...' we lost by 2.

blaza88z

Coach
Your obviously looking for a bite, but in the words of the great J McEnroe " YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS"

He has never kicked a field goal, I know that's not the be all and end all when you're looking at a half but I tell you what, for a bloke who has been at club since 09, played in 2 GF's (lost them both, both games went to extra time). He goes missing constantly when the game is there to be won, his kicking game under pressure has to rank in bottom 25% of starting halves going around.

Excellent runner of the ball, has a good passing game, great vision, he's a natural half but his kicking game just straight up sucks. He wouldn't have won you that game if put in McCrone's position is the point I am trying to make.

He could improve, at a million a year you'd sure hope so.. but, he's played over 170 first grade games.

OzDragon

Coach
It's not just his kicking game, he can control the team well, something McCrone can't do.

blacksafake

First Grade
He has never kicked a field goal, I know that's not the be all and end all when you're looking at a half but I tell you what, for a bloke who has been at club since 09, played in 2 GF's (lost them both, both games went to extra time). He goes missing constantly when the game is there to be won, his kicking game under pressure has to rank in bottom 25% of starting halves going around.

Excellent runner of the ball, has a good passing game, great vision, he's a natural half but his kicking game just straight up sucks. He wouldn't have won you that game if put in McCrone's position is the point I am trying to make.

He could improve, at a million a year you'd sure hope so.. but, he's played over 170 first grade games.
Sounds like sour grapes to me.

slippery5

Juniors

You forgot to say, "can tackle", unlike Milford !!!!!!

Life's Good

Coach

Only one GF, 2015??

giboz71

First Grade
We needed a halfback, that's why the kitchen sink was thrown. We don't have a half for this year, McCrone is just a fill in, that why most predicted us for bottom 4. The reason we're going well is McCrone has somewhat overachieved, but let's face it, he's NSW Cup standard at best.

McCrone at half, no Widdop and no Duges, not sure what people expect? I'm justl happy we're in the 8 at this stage.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Ben Hunt will suit the dragons to a tee.
Tackle run and kick and he has a good steady persona which also suits the dragons team culture. He will be our best half in a long long time. We will step up another level next year. To add I'm not writing off this year once both Duges and Widdop are back anything is possible.

giboz71

First Grade
Ben Hunt will suit the dragons to a tee.
Tackle run and kick and he has a good steady persona which also suits the dragons team culture. He will be our best half in a long long time. We will step up another level next year. To add I'm not writing off this year once both Duges and Widdop are back anything is possible.

Exactly. I think most of us are pleasantly surprised we're going well this year, but in reality most had written this year off. But our forwards have been outstanding, Widdop has discovered his Storm form, and McCrone has been reasonably solid. Hence we're going better than we thought.

But next year will really be the one we make a push for the comp. Hunt and Widdop will be the halves and hopefully we can add some speed in the backs with Dufty, Field, Herbert and co all a year older. Getting someone like Gagai will also be great. That along with our forwards will make us contenders.

I haven't given up on this year either, but we should all be pretty excited for next year.

mickeylane

Bench

My friend Hunt is currently the 3rd best halfback in the NRL - next year he will be the no 1 no 7 (Thurston is on downhill spiral fast) ...no doubt the guy is a gun and he's signed to us...moreover he will have a fantastic 5/8 next to him not an imposter like he currently has at the Broncs.. enjoy Nikorima lol!!!

chigurh

McCrone has a better kicking game than Hunt and yes, I am serious.

It's true. I've never seen a half that has played as many games as Ben Hunt have a worse kicking game. It's really atrocious and at this stage of his career it isn't going to improve.

chigurh

My friend Hunt is currently the 3rd best halfback in the NRL - next year he will be the no 1 no 7 (Thurston is on downhill spiral fast) ...no doubt the guy is a gun and he's signed to us...moreover he will have a fantastic 5/8 next to him not an imposter like he currently has at the Broncs.. enjoy Nikorima lol!!!

Brisbane are undefeated since Nikorima moved into the halves lmao. They have looked better than they did with Hunt at 7 and tbh I wouldn't be phased if Hunt didn't play for the Broncos again.