What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And now are you glad we have signed Ben Hunt ?

Overseas dragon

Juniors
I don't doubt that, he's a great player. I just don't understand all the Dragons fans saying "if we had Hunt instead of McCrone, we would have won that game last night".. he may have scored a good try or something like that but his kicking game wouldn't have won it for you
Yes I'll give you time to rethink your answer

Overseas dragon

Juniors
He has never kicked a field goal, I know that's not the be all and end all when you're looking at a half but I tell you what, for a bloke who has been at club since 09, played in 2 GF's (lost them both, both games went to extra time). He goes missing constantly when the game is there to be won, his kicking game under pressure has to rank in bottom 25% of starting halves going around.

Excellent runner of the ball, has a good passing game, great vision, he's a natural half but his kicking game just straight up sucks. He wouldn't have won you that game if put in McCrone's position is the point I am trying to make.

He could improve, at a million a year you'd sure hope so.. but, he's played over 170 first grade games.
You really need to go to opsm and please do it soon for your own sake .

Hunt is one of the major pieces in the puzzle that is STGI.

He will make all the backs more effective.

If we could snag a Korobete like winger we are complete.

Mann/Lafai/Aitken to compete for centre positions.

McDonald and Gypsy to compete for one wing spot.

If we lose any centres/wingers to injury The door opens for Herbert/Garrick.

Would have liked to have seen Isaac Thompson retained under a first class first grade coach.

He has the size and speed to be anything under a coach he respects.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Please hear me out when I say this, but the more I watch Hunt at hooker, the more I think he is actually almost better there than at halfback.

I've been browsing the Broncos forum and they have been saying that Hunt has always been held back playing in the number 7 and was always a better 9. Whilst I don't tend to agree at present (but my opinion on that is quickly changing), they have been watching him play for a long time now... So the Broncos fans would have a better idea than we would. They are even saying that he could be one of the best hookers in the game, second only to Smith. He just provides that attacking potency out of dummy half, the ability to run the ball, kick, use his strength and creativity, his ability to compete and never give up on a play. He made 40 tackles last night as well, so there are no issues defensively. He is everything you want from a game-changing hooker, and I think Hunt is far more threatening when he can pick and choose his moments of when to attack and when not to from dummy half, rather than having all that responsibility on his shoulders at halfback.

Don't get me wrong, we bought him as a 7 and that's where he will play, no doubt he will be fantastic. McInnes has also has a breakout year and has been solid for us. But remember, Hunt is with the Dragons for the next 6 years... and it wouldn't surprise me if he spends some of that time at hooker if one of our young juniors breaks through in the halves (Willis, Sailor etc).

hazzbeen

Bench
Please hear me out when I say this, but the more I watch Hunt at hooker, the more I think he is actually almost better there than at halfback.

I've been browsing the Broncos forum and they have been saying that Hunt has always been held back playing in the number 7 and was always a better 9. Whilst I don't tend to agree at present (but my opinion on that is quickly changing), they have been watching him play for a long time now... So the Broncos fans would have a better idea than we would. They are even saying that he could be one of the best hookers in the game, second only to Smith. He just provides that attacking potency out of dummy half, the ability to run the ball, kick, use his strength and creativity, his ability to compete and never give up on a play. He made 40 tackles last night as well, so there are no issues defensively. He is everything you want from a game-changing hooker, and I think Hunt is far more threatening when he can pick and choose his moments of when to attack and when not to from dummy half, rather than having all that responsibility on his shoulders at halfback.

Don't get me wrong, we bought him as a 7 and that's where he will play, no doubt he will be fantastic. McInnes has also has a breakout year and has been solid for us. But remember, Hunt is with the Dragons for the next 6 years... and it wouldn't surprise me if he spends some of that time at hooker if one of our young juniors breaks through in the halves (Willis, Sailor etc).
Been thinking the same , he will be great for us at half but gee he makes a very dangerous number 9 . He provides attack out of nothing , that's what the good 9s do . That is what we lacked this year with McInnes works hard but absolutely nothing in attack which was a big downfall this year . Let's see it this way if there was an injury to Hunt next year , who plays half , we need a genuine half that can step up and fill that position then providing us with another option to be able to move Hunt to 9 if needed . Anyway let's see what our genius coach comes up with next year , over to you Mary ....

blaza88z

Coach
Who was the bright spark who sai

Would you like a few seconds to rethink your answer

No, a few kicks doesn't change anything, he's playing his best footy at the moment in a role which he has found himself in because of injury (otherwise he probably wouldn't be in the 17). He can pick and choose when to get involved and that works well for us, it's when he's one of the chiefs where he has proven that he is vulnerable to going to water.

As already mentioned, hooker suits Ben Hunt beautifully because it allows him to use his running game a lot more and he can chime in with the odd kick here and there.

I don't get how you can just overlook the fact that this guy has never kicked a field goal, I know there's a lot more to Rugby League than kicking a field goal but it sure says a lot about a guys character when the game is there to be won, especially as a half.

mickeylane

Bench

Don't need to move Hunt to 9 Lichaa is on his way more than capable of attacking the opposition

Overseas dragon

Juniors
You really need to go to opsm and please do it soon for your own sake .
He has never kicked a field goal, I know that's not the be all and end all when you're looking at a half but I tell you what, for a bloke who has been at club since 09, played in 2 GF's (lost them both, both games went to extra time). He goes missing constantly when the game is there to be won, his kicking game under pressure has to rank in bottom 25% of starting halves going around.

Excellent runner of the ball, has a good passing game, great vision, he's a natural half but his kicking game just straight up sucks. He wouldn't have won you that game if put in McCrone's position is the point I am trying to make.

He could improve, at a million a year you'd sure hope so.. but, he's played over 170 first grade games.
His kicking game sucks just like the kick from HUNT to KAHU wow you really are something else your not a kiwi by any chance