What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And now are you glad we have signed Ben Hunt ?

TomRedVRiver

Bench
The stats mean nothing (like most statistics) because they don't tell enough of a tale. Hypothetically speaking, If Matt Gillett happened to miss the bulk of 2016 through injury, it could account for a lack of try assists against Ben Hunt's name. If Brisbane's pack were off the boil, it could account for a lack of try assists, maybe the drop ball in the GF did play with his confidence, maybe he found out that his wife cheated on him in the 2016 pre-season, maybe he had a punch up with one of the left edge forwards and they were chirping at each other all game? There are far too many variables to assume that it was because he was perched on the right side of the field.

Bennett is no fool and he would have his reasons; reasons that you or I could know nothing about. He would have more of a clue than anyone on this forum.

At the end of the day, Hunt will probably take half a season to a year to find his feet at Saints and then he might come good or maybe he will hit the ground running; who knows?! But these statistics and this headstrong argument about what side of the field he plays on has nothing to do with whether he will be successful, under utilised or a complete waste of money.

It has everything to do with Hunt being successful? The whole reason the Broncos made it to the Grand Final in 2015 and why Hunt was so dominant in 2014 was because he was allowed to roam and play both sides of the field. When you play split halves, you limit your side's creativity in attack..
Like you are literally halving Hunt's ability to be successful and effective in attack. The Broncos attack wasn't anywhere near as effective in 2016/17 as it was in previous years because the halves were restricted.

You are talking in hypotheticals right now mate. Creating scenarios isn't logical in this context. Gillette never missed the bulk of 2016, there was never any tension between players, particularly the childish way that you described it, and the Broncos pack were never off the boil. Purely and simply, the Broncos halves were shifted from roaming halves to split halves. How can you argue against statistics, with hypotheticals? That's like saying, maybe Kennedy wasn't actually shot on live TV in front of the whole world... Maybe it was special effects and he's still alive somewhere!

If we want our marquee halfback to have his hands on the ball, he needs to play both sides. This will bring Widdop into the fray as well, as he was only attacking the left side last year.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Double boost for Ben Hunt at Dragons
Author
Chris Kennedy
Hunt rubbishes talk of Munster stoush

Star Dragons recruit Ben Hunt says he is enjoying his football at the Dragons after a disrupted final season at Brisbane, with the added bonus of coming off a triumphant World Cup campaign.

Hunt was unceremoniously shunted to the bench last year by Broncos mentor Wayne Bennett before a late-season injury to hooker Andrew McCullough allowed Hunt to dominate the closing stages of the NRL season with the No.9 jersey on his back.

That reminder of his all-round utility value arguably worked in his favour as he nabbed a utility role for Mal Meninga's Kangaroos in what was an unbeaten World Cup campaign.

Hunt only had limited minutes on field in the tournament – coming off the bench against Lebanon in his only appearance – but said the lift gained from six weeks in camp with the best players in Australia only added to his motivation heading into 2018.

"It definitely gives you a real buzz and excitement around your footy, being around a successful team and such great players," Hunt told NRL.com.

"It really excites you about what you're doing and makes you really passionate to get back that next year and play some good footy again. I know I'm at a new club which is exciting in itself but coming out of a World Cup as well has got me really excited to play.

"I only played a few minutes in the World Cup so I haven't had much footy for a while. I'm eager to get out there and play with my new teammates. Body's feeling good and eager to get going."

Hunt also brushed off a reported altercation with Kangaroos teammate Cameron Munster.

"Nah mate we're all good," Hunt laughed.

"Honestly nothing happened between us at all, he actually messaged me after it and said 'I don't know what's going on mate, are we all good?' and I said 'yeah mate, we're fine'."

The Dragons' impressive forward pack and the chance to work alongside England Test pivot Gareth Widdop also have Hunt champing at the bit to get involved in the club's upcoming trials.

"I obviously only returned in January and the boys had a couple of months of training before Christmas so they were all primed and ready to go. It was good to finally get here and meet everyone and start making some combinations and playing some footy," he said.

"I think [the partnership with Widdop] will work really well, it feels like we're working really well so far. He's obviously an excellent player, Gaz, he got five-eighth of the year last year. The more I can really concentrate on doing my job and getting the ball to him when he needs it the better it will be for the team."

hunt_dragons-training.jpg

Ben Hunt in pre-season training.:copyright:dragons.com.au
Having such an accomplished player alongside him in the halves will allow Hunt to focus more on his own game as well.

"It's 50-50 out there between us. He's such a good player, I don't have to worry about anything he's going to do or what he wants to do, he does what he does and I only have to worry about myself," Hunt said.

"The more we can help each other out the less pressure it's going to be on both sides of the field."

The move away from Brisbane was about more than just football, Hunt added, with the fishbowl existence of a one-team town now behind him.

"It's been really good so far; I'm living up near Cronulla, it doesn't seem that footy crazy compared to Brisbane," he said.

"It's a bit more coasty and laid back and not crazy busy, which I like, and I'm really enjoying it at the moment.

"You get around Brissy, all you see is Broncs gear, shirts and hats. You get down here and it's more a mixture of everything.

"I think [the move to Dragons] will build my game. We've got a great forward pack down here which always helps for a half. Playing with Gaz is definitely going to help as well but just a change of scenery as well, learning some new things, playing with some new people, it gives me a bit of a buzz and gets me excited about playing again.

"It's not all just about footy, it's about my family and looking after them. In the end I think it was the best decision for us long-term coming down here."

Hunt said he and fellow senior recruit James Graham will be tasked with helping ensure the team does not start strong then slip away late in the season, as has been the case in recent years.

"Hopefully we can help that. I've seen it happen to a lot of teams, it happened at the Broncos at stages around that Origin period," Hunt said.

"You can't really put your finger on what's going wrong, it just seems to happen. We need to start the year really strong and once we get through the Origin period set myself up for that back end of the year and knuckle down and play some good footy leading into the finals."

getsmarty

Immortal
Ben Hunt reveals clear-the-air text message from Cameron Munster after Kangaroos camp bust-up
Matt Encarnacion and Mel Woods, AAP
an hour ago

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA star recruit Ben Hunt has given his side of the story following an altercation with Cameron Munster during last year’s World Cup and insists there is no bad blood between the pair.

Munster was sent home to Melbourne before the quarter-final win over Samoa in Darwin and returned ahead of the following week’s semi-final, while Hunt remained with the team.

b6d7c81a109f8889ffab6b652620caea

e2ba588789e5cf9b9f90e6cf8be189e5

Ben Hunt has no regrets in moving to the Dragons

Hunt was stunned to hear reports of a bust up when lambasted by his new Dragons teammates last week, and is adamant he wasn’t involved in a physical incident.

“I come in from training and all the boys were having a go at me saying I was a big boxer and I was like, ‘What are you talking about?’ Hunt told AAP on Monday.

“It was a big surprise for me because I didn’t think there was any story there and didn’t know where it came from.

“It was a bit of a shock.

“If they’re saying that’s why he got sent home, why wouldn’t I have got sent home?”

The former Brisbane halfback revealed Munster immediately texted his fellow Kangaroos squad member last week to clear any lingering issues.

The duo are a strong chance of playing for Queensland in this year’s State of Origin series following the representative retirements of Johnathan Thurston and Cooper Cronk.

Munster starred for the Maroons at five-eighth in last year’s Origin decider.

“Cam messaged me asking, ‘Are we okay, what happened, are we all sweet?’ And I said, ‘Yeah, mate. I don’t have a problem with you at all’,” Hunt said.

“I’m sure I’m going to be in some teams with Cam in the future and I’ve got no problem with him. I’ll be happy to go have a coffee or beer with him now. We’re sweet.”

bb1c26054fa0c28eab5eaccb18a88dbd

Hunt has embraced the pressure of being the main man at the Dragons this year following his reported $6-million move from Brisbane to play alongside captain Gareth Widdop.

He also isn’t shying away from his goal of establishing himself for Queensland and Australia.

“I just think that’s the type of player I am. I believe that I’ve got the ability to be there,” he said.

“I’ve had a little taste of Origin and playing for Australia now, and that just makes you more eager to get into those teams.

c34a6e0628794d72235b539a570cc489

Ben Hunt chats to Cameron Smith at Kangaroos training.
“Getting the Dragons into the finals, personally playing some rep footy ... if I start the year really well, then I’ll be putting my hand up to be in the mix for some rep teams. That’s a goal for me.”

Meanwhile Storm star Billy Slater said Munster had impressed since returning to Melbourne’s pre-season after Christmas.

“He’s really stepped up into a leadership role at training and he’s going to have to do that with Cooper moving on,” Slater said.

“It will naturally happen for him. He’s a natural footballer and a brilliant footballer at that and he will evolve into becoming a leader of this club.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...k=1dc34ecb85154ebe3d6e6ebc04f6d2a6-1517807386

de9b3583584cc673aeab1de06851e3d2

Frank Facer

First Grade
Double boost for Ben Hunt at Dragons
Author
Chris Kennedy
Hunt rubbishes talk of Munster stoush

Star Dragons recruit Ben Hunt says he is enjoying his football at the Dragons after a disrupted final season at Brisbane, with the added bonus of coming off a triumphant World Cup campaign.

Hunt was unceremoniously shunted to the bench last year by Broncos mentor Wayne Bennett before a late-season injury to hooker Andrew McCullough allowed Hunt to dominate the closing stages of the NRL season with the No.9 jersey on his back.

That reminder of his all-round utility value arguably worked in his favour as he nabbed a utility role for Mal Meninga's Kangaroos in what was an unbeaten World Cup campaign.

Hunt only had limited minutes on field in the tournament – coming off the bench against Lebanon in his only appearance – but said the lift gained from six weeks in camp with the best players in Australia only added to his motivation heading into 2018.

"It definitely gives you a real buzz and excitement around your footy, being around a successful team and such great players," Hunt told NRL.com.

"It really excites you about what you're doing and makes you really passionate to get back that next year and play some good footy again. I know I'm at a new club which is exciting in itself but coming out of a World Cup as well has got me really excited to play.

"I only played a few minutes in the World Cup so I haven't had much footy for a while. I'm eager to get out there and play with my new teammates. Body's feeling good and eager to get going."

Hunt also brushed off a reported altercation with Kangaroos teammate Cameron Munster.

"Nah mate we're all good," Hunt laughed.

"Honestly nothing happened between us at all, he actually messaged me after it and said 'I don't know what's going on mate, are we all good?' and I said 'yeah mate, we're fine'."

The Dragons' impressive forward pack and the chance to work alongside England Test pivot Gareth Widdop also have Hunt champing at the bit to get involved in the club's upcoming trials.

"I obviously only returned in January and the boys had a couple of months of training before Christmas so they were all primed and ready to go. It was good to finally get here and meet everyone and start making some combinations and playing some footy," he said.

"I think [the partnership with Widdop] will work really well, it feels like we're working really well so far. He's obviously an excellent player, Gaz, he got five-eighth of the year last year. The more I can really concentrate on doing my job and getting the ball to him when he needs it the better it will be for the team."

hunt_dragons-training.jpg

Ben Hunt in pre-season training.:copyright:dragons.com.au
Having such an accomplished player alongside him in the halves will allow Hunt to focus more on his own game as well.

"It's 50-50 out there between us. He's such a good player, I don't have to worry about anything he's going to do or what he wants to do, he does what he does and I only have to worry about myself," Hunt said.

"The more we can help each other out the less pressure it's going to be on both sides of the field."

The move away from Brisbane was about more than just football, Hunt added, with the fishbowl existence of a one-team town now behind him.

"It's been really good so far; I'm living up near Cronulla, it doesn't seem that footy crazy compared to Brisbane," he said.

"It's a bit more coasty and laid back and not crazy busy, which I like, and I'm really enjoying it at the moment.

"You get around Brissy, all you see is Broncs gear, shirts and hats. You get down here and it's more a mixture of everything.

"I think [the move to Dragons] will build my game. We've got a great forward pack down here which always helps for a half. Playing with Gaz is definitely going to help as well but just a change of scenery as well, learning some new things, playing with some new people, it gives me a bit of a buzz and gets me excited about playing again.

"It's not all just about footy, it's about my family and looking after them. In the end I think it was the best decision for us long-term coming down here."

Hunt said he and fellow senior recruit James Graham will be tasked with helping ensure the team does not start strong then slip away late in the season, as has been the case in recent years.

"Hopefully we can help that. I've seen it happen to a lot of teams, it happened at the Broncos at stages around that Origin period," Hunt said.

"You can't really put your finger on what's going wrong, it just seems to happen. We need to start the year really strong and once we get through the Origin period set myself up for that back end of the year and knuckle down and play some good footy leading into the finals."
How good is it going to be to finally have a really good halfback? We also have a good 5/8 to partner Hunt too.

Hunt sounds very positive about playing for us, playing with Widdop and playing behind our good forward pack.

And also how good is it that we have strengthened our team and weakened Brisbane at the same time? lol

I will say this. In Bennett's long and distinguished coaching career, the only good really good halves that he has produced are Langer and Lockyer. I think he stifled Hunts game. I also think that Milford should have been left at fullback. I think Milford was a much better fullback than Boyd, when Milf was a bit slimmer.

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL 2017: Hunt out to recapture 2015 form at new club
Dragons Den News
r0_365_5472_3648_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

BATTLE HARDENED: Marquee Dragons recruits James Graham and Ben Hunt at their new WIN Stadium digs. Picture: Sylvia Liber.

IT sent a volatile NRL halves market ablaze and marquee Dragons recruit Ben Hunt admits even he was left taken aback by the enormity of the six-year $6 million that brought him to Wollongong this season.

The lucrative deal, inked in advance of last season, set in motion an unprecedented re-shuffle of the NRL’ play-making stocks and ensures his performances will be heavily scrutinised in 2018 and beyond.

It was also the first time the 27-year-old ever considered his future lay anywhere other than in Brisbane – a club he played 187 games for after debuting in 2009.

“It was of bit of a surprise and pretty unexpected to be honest,” Hunt said of the longest and richest offer ever made by the joint-venture.

“To get a deal that long and to have that much security in your career felt pretty crazy. It’s something that doesn’t come along very often in the game.

“There was definitely stages of my career where I never thought I’d leave Brisbane at all, I couldn’t really picture myself playing for another team.

“They obviously gave me me my opportunity and I’d been there for a long time. [The Dragons deal] was going to set my family up so it was just too good to pass up. After I signed it went out of my mind pretty quick.

“I just had to do a job and got on with my footy last year and it’s not something I’m going to think about this year. I’m just here to do a job for this team, play my best brand of footy and bring whatever I can to the team to win. That’s all I’m concentrating on.”

Many consider the large sum a gamble from the club – particularly as Hunt spent time in Queensland Cup and off the bench from the Broncos last year – but it would have seemed a much surer bet at the end of 2015 when he took the club to within a single golden-point of the ultimate prize.

He believes a change of scenery, and the chance to link with Gareth Widddop at the scrum-base, will allow him to re-capture the form that made him one of the game’s premier No. 7s.

“That player from back then hasn’t gone anywhere, he’s still here, he can still play some good footy,” Hunt said.

“Looking at the team I’ve got around me, I’m confident they’re going to play some good footy to. Gareth got five-eighth of the year last year so there’s no extra pressure there.

“He’s such an exceptional player, he can play off the cuff, he can play structured he’s got every string to his bow. I’ve just got to worry about what I can do and I know he’ll take care of the rest.”

While Hunt booked an early ticket south, fellow big-name signing James Graham proved a late-season bargain buy for a club that’s made just one post-season appearance in six seasons.

Hunt has made 13 in that time, including the 2015 decider, while Graham has 11 finals and two grand finals to his name. Dragons fans will be hoping that wealth of big-game experience can snap their side’s six-year run of mediocrity.

“Being in those games and knowing how to handle those situations is something we’ve had a bit of experience in now,” Hunt said.

“You’ve got to get there first and that’s what we need to concentrate on. We need to start fast and hold that through the Origin period and the back end of the season to make those finals. After that anything can happen.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...capture-2015-form-in-dragons-colours/?cs=3713

Crush

Coach
I'm getting a bit tired of the constant Ben Hunt articles. Imagine the pressure on the poor bloke. The media are a bunch of wolves. I find it fascinating that the media has now talked us up with the addition of Ben Hunt. Last year they said we'd finish 15th.
I mean, its alright for us to say that, we are one eyed biased Dragons fans but why is the media hell bent on talking us up as a huge threat now that Hunt is here?
If he had signed for 750 K this circus wouldn't exist and the Dragons wouldn't be in every edition of the Telegraph.
You'd think we just signed Cooper Cronk and James Tedesco FFS.

Brutalitops

Juniors
I'm getting a bit tired of the constant Ben Hunt articles. Imagine the pressure on the poor bloke. The media are a bunch of wolves. I find it fascinating that the media has now talked us up with the addition of Ben Hunt. Last year they said we'd finish 15th.
I mean, its alright for us to say that, we are one eyed biased Dragons fans but why is the media hell bent on talking us up as a huge threat now that Hunt is here?
If he had signed for 750 K this circus wouldn't exist and the Dragons wouldn't be in every edition of the Telegraph.
I reckon it's a good thing. For the first time in a very long time, Dragons have expectations on their shoulders. If they fail this time, the public pressure will come from more than just the Dragons fans.

I also think people recognise that if only 2 or 3 different events had gone a different way in 2017, we could have gone deep into the finals. We are a stronger team this year and Top 8 should be a given

BennyV

Referee
I reckon it's a good thing. For the first time in a very long time, Dragons have expectations on their shoulders. If they fail this time, the public pressure will come from more than just the Dragons fans.

I also think people recognise that if only 2 or 3 different events had gone a different way in 2017, we could have gone deep into the finals. We are a stronger team this year and Top 8 should be a given
Correct, Top 8 should be a given. In fact, I wouldn’t even set the bar there - simply falling into the 8 and bowing out in Week 1 is a failure next year. Minimum Top 4 or Top 6 and making Week 3 of the finals before I contemplate acknowledging that Mary has improved.

Problem is that, much like Mary’s coaching philosophy, our season will be defined by other teams. Most of those who finished near us last year have improved and very few of the Top 8 will go backwards in 2018. I’m not convinced we are sure things for the finals.

Seoul Dragon

Juniors
I think he definitely has the potential to rise to the level of Cronk. It all looks positive but he won't be an automatic panacea for us and other parts of the dragons cog, both on and off field will need to click into gear and deliver for Hunt to shine~~

giboz71

First Grade
Signing an actual halfback, for us is a big deal and everyone knows it. Expectations have gone up with the signing alone, regardless of who we might have lost.

Agreed.

Having a player who actually knows how to play half and direct the team around is absolutely crucial. We’ve been scratching around with Benji, McCrone and Mann trying to fill the void but these guys were never FG quality halves. Benji was a washed up 5:8, McCrone was a bench hooker and Mann is a utility at best.

We lost so many close games last year as we had no halfback. Take the last round against the Dogs, we have a proper half that day, we probably win that game. Same goes with closes losses to the Raiders, Knights and Souths.

The fact we have not just a proper halfback but one of the best in the comp should improve us out of sight. And having a pretty handy back up in Nichols is a bonus as a well so we should have no more reason of inserting players to play half who have no business being there (like we’ve been doing for seems like an eternity).

Brutalitops

Juniors
Agreed.

Having a player who actually knows how to play half and direct the team around is absolutely crucial. We’ve been scratching around with Benji, McCrone and Mann trying to fill the void but these guys were never FG quality halves. Benji was a washed up 5:8, McCrone was a bench hooker and Mann is a utility at best.

We lost so many close games last year as we had no halfback. Take the last round against the Dogs, we have a proper half that day, we probably win that game. Same goes with closes losses to the Raiders, Knights and Souths.

The fact we have not just a proper halfback but one of the best in the comp should improve us out of sight. And having a pretty handy back up in Nichols is a bonus as a well so we should have no more reason of inserting players to play half who have no business being there (like we’ve been doing for seems like an eternity).
Great post. And I believe that Nicholls alone is better than McCrone and Mann as a 7, so we've gone from nothing to having even our backup halfback being an improvement

Life's Good

Coach
I gotta disagree on this. In the context of our up & down recruitment over recent years Hunt represents a real positive. The fact he is rep standard also generates a high level of interest.
Regardless, the off season is nearly over so soon it will be about how well Hunt is going for us and what an astute signing it turned out to be.:wink:

TomRedVRiver

Bench
"So far it looks like Benny Hunt will be on the right and Gaz will be on the left which suits me, they're both quality players," Aitken told NRL.com.

This concerns me greatly.

watatank

Coach
Pretty much every half in the Competition has a side they stick to most of the time. I’m sure hunt will have the freedom to move around and switch if he wants to

Brutalitops

Juniors
"So far it looks like Benny Hunt will be on the right and Gaz will be on the left which suits me, they're both quality players," Aitken told NRL.com.

This concerns me greatly.
I don't think this is an indication of anything. Generally speaking, all halves "stick" to a side, it's whether or not they roam from it that will be the issue

And the very same article that contained that quote also mentions Hunt has a licence to roam both sides

Overseas dragon

Juniors
I gotta disagree on this. In the context of our up & down recruitment over recent years Hunt represents a real positive. The fact he is rep standard also generates a high level of interest.
Regardless, the off season is nearly over so soon it will be about how well Hunt is going for us and what an astute signing it turned out to be.:wink:
Let's just enjoy the ride GO THE BIG RED V.......