What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And now are you glad we have signed Ben Hunt ?

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL Podcast: Hunt must be new Maroons halfback
Author
Joel Gould
Timestamp
Wed 4 Apr 2018, 10:45 AM

The form of St George Illawarra halfback Ben Hunt cannot be denied and he should get first crack at being the new Queensland Maroons halfback, according to Maroons legend Steve Renouf

In this week's NRL Podcast, Renouf said he would select Hunt and Melbourne Storm five-eighth Cameron Munster in the halves for the opening game of the Holden State of Origin Series on June 6 in Melbourne.

"I think you go on form and Ben has been in and around the [Maroons] camp for a while and deserves to be the starting No.7," Renouf said.

"His form has been consistent through the rounds…and his kicking game has improved a lot which is going to be very important in Origin."

Renouf also outlined in the Podcast why Cowboys five-eighth Michael Morgan, despite being out of sorts, should be retained in the 17 because of his value as the "perfect utility".

The former Test centre also analyses the personal critiques offered up by Broncos centre Jack Bird and veteran forward Sam Thaiday after the loss to the Gold Coast and outlines how they can get their seasons back on track.

Renouf details what North Queensland need to do to get their mojo back and reveals why he believes the Titans will win more games than they lose in 2018.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/04/nrl-podcast-ben-hunt-must-be-new-queensland-maroons-

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons making me a better player: Hunt
16x9_small

Ben Hunt says playing with the Dragons has made him a more complete player. (AAP)

Ben Hunt has helped turn St George-Illawarra into undefeated NRL ladder leaders, but he says the club has made him a more complete player too.

Queensland State of Origin hopeful Ben Hunt believes his move to St George-Illawarra has made him a more complete player after guiding the Dragons to their undefeated start.

Hunt's immediate influence on the Dragons has easily made him one of the best buys of the NRL season.

Captain Gareth Widdop has grown another leg with Hunt alongside him, while the Dragons' attacking capabilities have virtually doubled with Hunt providing a true alternative option.

Largely forgotten among the myriad of high-profile off-season signings that followed his across the league, Hunt has taken the Dragons to the best attacking record in the competition following their 5-0 start.

But the 28-year-old believes the improvements haven't just been one way, insisting the Dragons' structure has made him a better player than the one who left Brisbane last year.

"I think I've taken a fair while to get to where I am in my career and working on all the little things when I've needed to," he told reporters on Tuesday.

"And coming here I feel like the team dynamic we've got with Gaz and the forwards, I can just play my game now and just worry about what I need to do.

"I think it's completed the way I play my footy."

Hunt played halfback for Queensland in last year's series-winning decider, but Maroons coach Kevin Walters confirmed Cameron Munster and Michael Morgan were the frontrunners to replace Johnathan Thurston and Cooper Cronk as first-choice playmakers this year.

However Hunt could hardly have done more to impress Walters over the opening month of the season.

The ex-Bronco has set up seven tries and four linebreaks for the Dragons, as well as scoring one four-pointer of his own.

"I feel like I have to be in the area," Hunt said.

"There are a few halfbacks going around at the moment who are playing some really good footy, so I just have to leave that up to Kevvie and the selectors."

Source: AAP

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/dragons-making-me-a-better-player-hunt

Frank Facer

First Grade
Dragons making me a better player: Hunt
16x9_small

Ben Hunt says playing with the Dragons has made him a more complete player. (AAP)

Ben Hunt has helped turn St George-Illawarra into undefeated NRL ladder leaders, but he says the club has made him a more complete player too.

Queensland State of Origin hopeful Ben Hunt believes his move to St George-Illawarra has made him a more complete player after guiding the Dragons to their undefeated start.

Hunt's immediate influence on the Dragons has easily made him one of the best buys of the NRL season.

Captain Gareth Widdop has grown another leg with Hunt alongside him, while the Dragons' attacking capabilities have virtually doubled with Hunt providing a true alternative option.

Largely forgotten among the myriad of high-profile off-season signings that followed his across the league, Hunt has taken the Dragons to the best attacking record in the competition following their 5-0 start.

But the 28-year-old believes the improvements haven't just been one way, insisting the Dragons' structure has made him a better player than the one who left Brisbane last year.

"I think I've taken a fair while to get to where I am in my career and working on all the little things when I've needed to," he told reporters on Tuesday.

"And coming here I feel like the team dynamic we've got with Gaz and the forwards, I can just play my game now and just worry about what I need to do.

"I think it's completed the way I play my footy."

Hunt played halfback for Queensland in last year's series-winning decider, but Maroons coach Kevin Walters confirmed Cameron Munster and Michael Morgan were the frontrunners to replace Johnathan Thurston and Cooper Cronk as first-choice playmakers this year.

However Hunt could hardly have done more to impress Walters over the opening month of the season.

The ex-Bronco has set up seven tries and four linebreaks for the Dragons, as well as scoring one four-pointer of his own.

"I feel like I have to be in the area," Hunt said.

"There are a few halfbacks going around at the moment who are playing some really good footy, so I just have to leave that up to Kevvie and the selectors."

Source: AAP

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/dragons-making-me-a-better-player-hunt
Hunt saying that the Dragons have made him a better player, could also equate to Mary making him a better player. lol

Before the season started I actually predicted that Hunt could find career best form and Widdop too. I said that Hunt will be allowed to play both sides of the field and be the dominate playmaker, like a good halfback should. I think that Hunt is still gelling with the side and he will continue to improve as the season goes by. I also said, that I thought Bennett may have hindered his game a bit.

getsmarty

Immortal
Ben Hunt firms in race for Maroons jersey
Dragons Den News
r0_138_4428_2628_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Best of enemies: Ben Hunt and Paul Vaughan are in the frame for Queensland and NSW State of Origin selection. Picture: AAP Image/Daniel Munoz.

After leading the St George Illawarra Dragons to an unbeaten start to the NRL season, the calls are growing louder for Ben Hunt to step into the vacant Queensland no. seven jersey.

The representative retirement of Cooper Cronk has opened the door for one of a number of emerging Queenslanders to claim the halfback position and while Daly Cherry-Evans and Michael Morgan were expected to lead the race for the spot, it’s been Hunt who has outplayed his rivals.

Hunt has been in sublime form for the Dragons in the first five rounds, guiding the team around the park and controlling matches with his kicking game. His play has been so impressive that Dragons teammate James Graham and Queensland legend Wally Lewis have thrown their support behind the 28-year-old.

“It makes you feel pretty good,” Hunt said of the endorsements. “Obviously everyone knows what Wally’s done in his career and to have someone like that give you a bit of a rap, it gives you goosebumps.

“I sort of feel like I have to be in the area, there’s a few halfbacks going around playing some pretty good footy, I just have to leave that up to Kevvy [Maroons coach Kevin Walters] and the selectors.”

Hunt made his debut off the bench in Origin III last year and it’s an experience he feels helped him develop.

“Just being in camp, that’s what benefits you the most. Being around players that have been there for a long time and you see the things they do and how they train and how hard they work, the effort they put in to get that win.

Many were quick to criticise the Dragons after they signed the former Broncos half to a five-year, $6 million contract, but he has silenced the doubters.

“It’s taken a fair while to get to where I am in my career, working on a lot of different things when I needed to. Coming here, the team dynamic that we’ve got with Gaz [Gareth Widdop] and our forwards, I can just play my game now and worry about what I need to do. I think it’s completed the way I like to play my footy.”

While in the midst of career-best form, Hunt recognises he still has areas to improve as the Dragons prepare to face Cronulla.

“Game management is definitely something I’m trying to bring here. It’s an aspect of my game I’ve been trying to work on for quite a while now, that kicking game and really managing it well.

“That’s something in the Souths game I thought I didn’t do well. In that second half I was pretty disappointed with my kicking game and how we managed that back end. It’s something I’m trying to bring in to my game.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5333867/sublime-start-places-hunt-in-origin-frame/?cs=3713

Frank Facer

First Grade
Dragons Den News

Best of enemies: Ben Hunt and Paul Vaughan are in the frame for Queensland and NSW State of Origin selection. Picture: AAP Image/Daniel Munoz.

After leading the St George Illawarra Dragons to an unbeaten start to the NRL season, the calls are growing louder for Ben Hunt to step into the vacant Queensland no. seven jersey.

The representative retirement of Cooper Cronk has opened the door for one of a number of emerging Queenslanders to claim the halfback position and while Daly Cherry-Evans and Michael Morgan were expected to lead the race for the spot, it’s been Hunt who has outplayed his rivals.

Hunt has been in sublime form for the Dragons in the first five rounds, guiding the team around the park and controlling matches with his kicking game. His play has been so impressive that Dragons teammate James Graham and Queensland legend Wally Lewis have thrown their support behind the 28-year-old.

“It makes you feel pretty good,” Hunt said of the endorsements. “Obviously everyone knows what Wally’s done in his career and to have someone like that give you a bit of a rap, it gives you goosebumps.

“I sort of feel like I have to be in the area, there’s a few halfbacks going around playing some pretty good footy, I just have to leave that up to Kevvy [Maroons coach Kevin Walters] and the selectors.”

Hunt made his debut off the bench in Origin III last year and it’s an experience he feels helped him develop.

“Just being in camp, that’s what benefits you the most. Being around players that have been there for a long time and you see the things they do and how they train and how hard they work, the effort they put in to get that win.

Many were quick to criticise the Dragons after they signed the former Broncos half to a five-year, $6 million contract, but he has silenced the doubters.

“It’s taken a fair while to get to where I am in my career, working on a lot of different things when I needed to. Coming here, the team dynamic that we’ve got with Gaz [Gareth Widdop] and our forwards, I can just play my game now and worry about what I need to do. I think it’s completed the way I like to play my footy.”

While in the midst of career-best form, Hunt recognises he still has areas to improve as the Dragons prepare to face Cronulla.

“Game management is definitely something I’m trying to bring here. It’s an aspect of my game I’ve been trying to work on for quite a while now, that kicking game and really managing it well.

“That’s something in the Souths game I thought I didn’t do well. In that second half I was pretty disappointed with my kicking game and how we managed that back end. It’s something I’m trying to bring in to my game.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5333867/sublime-start-places-hunt-in-origin-frame/?cs=3713
Hunts says that just being in Origin camp helped him the most. I am hoping that we have many players in origin this year and that it helps all of their games and that they come back better players from origin. That will put us in good stead for the semis. Don't worry fans, our players will only be missing for one game against Melbourne and they will be without Smith, Slater and Munster.

Frank Facer

First Grade
This is from an article of Foxsports regarding Ben Hunt

But the 28-year-old believes the improvements haven’t just been one way, insisting the Dragons’ structure has made him a better player than the one who left Brisbane last year.

“I think I’ve taken a fair while to get to where I am in my career and working on all the little things when I’ve needed to,” he told reporters on Tuesday.

“And coming here I feel like the team dynamic we’ve got with Gaz and the forwards, I can just play my game now and just worry about what I need to do.

“I think it’s completed the way I play my footy.”

I think that corresponds with what I was saying at the start of the year.

He is actually saying that Mary's structure suits him more than Bennett's structure. Who would have thought?

possm

Coach

But the 28-year-old believes the improvements haven’t just been one way, insisting the Dragons’ structure has made him a better player than the one who left Brisbane last year.

“I think I’ve taken a fair while to get to where I am in my career and working on all the little things when I’ve needed to,” he told reporters on Tuesday.

“And coming here I feel like the team dynamic we’ve got with Gaz and the forwards, I can just play my game now and just worry about what I need to do.

He is actually saying that Mary's structure suits him more than Bennett's structure. Who would have thought?
Yea, but we now have a squad that is far superior to that of the past few years. The question really is would the Dragons be playing even better under a different coach. For me we have to break through the mid season fatigue syndrome this season before I start to sign and dance. We need to peak in September so let's hope we can gain our second wind after SOO and continue on as the front runner.

ouryears

Bench
L
Dragons Den News

Looking at photo of Vaughan hugging hunt you can see the mateship this team has

Hunt is in his first year and yet the hug he is getting is more than just a quick pat, it’s a forward who protects his half every game giving his little mate a huge protective man hug

It displays great mate ship and how hunt has been quickly accepted and respected

ouryears

Bench

Mary has told them play what’s in front of you, Wayne controls his players games

I like Mary’s philosophy

emu62

Juniors
Hunt saying that the Dragons have made him a better player, could also equate to Mary making him a better player. lol

Before the season started I actually predicted that Hunt could find career best form and Widdop too. I said that Hunt will be allowed to play both sides of the field and be the dominate playmaker, like a good halfback should. I think that Hunt is still gelling with the side and he will continue to improve as the season goes by. I also said, that I thought Bennett may have hindered his game a bit.

Frank Nostradamus Facer

Yea, but we now have a squad that is far superior to that of the past few years. The question really is would the Dragons be playing even better under a different coach. For me we have to break through the mid season fatigue syndrome this season before I start to sign and dance. We need to peak in September so let's hope we can gain our second wind after SOO and continue on as the front runner.
Maybe a different coach would not have made a difference after 5 rounds BUT over a full season is where the coach will make a difference:
(a) Coaching smarts, close games, game plans and use of the bench.
(b) If we do have numerous SOO reps - how will the coach manage the team during and especially after SOO period. Keeping in mind that McGregor has not really had to worry too much about SOO during his tenure and still collapsed mid season.
(c) Finals Footy - probably the most critical.
So we make the finals after all is said and done.
McGregor has played one semi final in 3 years - not the sort of experience that wins Premierships.
So depending on who we are talking about, a more seasoned coach would have a better shot a the ultimate prize..

Alec's-saints

Juniors
Maybe a different coach would not have made a difference after 5 rounds BUT over a full season is where the coach will make a difference:
(a) Coaching smarts, close games, game plans and use of the bench.
(b) If we do have numerous SOO reps - how will the coach manage the team during and especially after SOO period. Keeping in mind that McGregor has not really had to worry too much about SOO during his tenure and still collapsed mid season.
(c) Finals Footy - probably the most critical.
So we make the finals after all is said and done.
McGregor has played one semi final in 3 years - not the sort of experience that wins Premierships.
So depending on who we are talking about, a more seasoned coach would have a better shot a the ultimate prize..
we will only have origin players missing one this year. why is everyone concerned about it?

hewi

Bench
“That’s something in the Souths game I thought I didn’t do well. In that second half I was pretty disappointed with my kicking game and how we managed that back end. It’s something I’m trying to bring in to my game

In my mind this sort of critique of his own performance is what is going to make this bloke a great half back. Striving for the best, odes well for the future. Well done Mr Hunt!

ouryears

Bench
“That’s something in the Souths game I thought I didn’t do well. In that second half I was pretty disappointed with my kicking game and how we managed that back end. It’s something I’m trying to bring in to my game

In my mind this sort of critique of his own performance is what is going to make this bloke a great half back. Striving for the best, odes well for the future. Well done Mr Hunt!

Yes I thought that too mate.

Ben showed self critique and was able to say it.

Great stuff