What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anderson off to the dogs

Frenzy

Juniors
El Garbo said:
Lets not forget the Dogs are working on a reduced salary cap this season due to the 8% bonuses paid out to the players for making the finals... Frenzy, methinks all those players released were done because they couldn't afford to keep them under the current circumstances.

Yeah Zed I take that on board but assuming they were at the limit of 3.25 million the amount of the bonuses would effectively be 8% of 3.25 million wouldn't it? That'd be $260,000 less they have on their 2004 cap. They've saved that with the Vagana sale alone.

Bearing in mind they also upgraded a few blokes I'd guess the estimated value of Tonga and Lolesi would be less than the estimated value of Talau, Hall, Polglase, Norton etc

If so they'd have money left. Probably at least 100k for Bailey because I don't agree he's in the elite $200,000 class yet.

I'm just theorising and guesstimating though.

Anonymous

Juniors
I have no doubts that they probably have some room to move with the cap - I just wonder if they would have let go some of the players they were so desperate to keep if they had so much room to move.

I don't see much sense in giving up on a star player, with the hopes that another top player becomes available at a later date.

Either way, I guess all of this madness will play itself out shortly after the Kangaroo Tour ends.

Frenzy

Juniors
El Garbo said:
I have no doubts that they probably have some room to move with the cap - I just wonder if they would have let go some of the players they were so desperate to keep if they had so much room to move.

I don't see much sense in giving up on a star player, with the hopes that another top player becomes available at a later date.

Either way, I guess all of this madness will play itself out shortly after the Kangaroo Tour ends.

Yep you'd be right there - get this damn tour over and get the footy started - NOW!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Morpheus

Juniors
It is common knowledge around Sydney that the many of Wilsons "best informants" are actually just deliberately feeding her ridiculous fabrications as gee-ups for team-mates, and then sit around laughing at her at training all week once she gets sucked in to printing it.

The ONLY stories that most players confirm as being true to Wilson are the false ones, for two reasons, to gee - up team mates and to make her look stupid.

bull shark

Juniors
El Garbo said:

My understanding of the cap rules is that if you go under it in one year then you've got that much more to play with the following year. On the other hand if you go over it then you have that much less to play with the following year. So it's really 3.25M on average.

When that stuff about the Dogs blew up last year I assumed that part of the arrangement with the NRL is that they would have to reduce their spending over the next few years to get back to that average. So this makes the Dogs' effective cap less than others for a while.

Another factor is that they kept some of the players who were off-contract in 2003/2004 (Mason was one) by offering them a deal where the pay was weighted to the end. So for example if a player was offered 450K over 3 years then he might get 100K in 2003, 150K in 2004 and 200K in 2005.

So that's why they had to get rid of so many good players like Talau and Vagana. And they'll be looking to the future when guys like Sherwin and El-Masri come off contract. How much will they want to keep them?

All in all I think it'll be quite a few years till the Dogs make any big signings. If Bails goes there it will be for a different reason than money.

Sharkie73

Bench
It was reported on sports tonight 19/11/03 that Ando could be making the move to the dogs and would be taking 2 players with him. Jarrad :D and Phil :? , Of course Steve Mortimer scoffed at the idea, I would assume because Ando hasn't spoken to Sharks managment as yet. Oh well one week to go and all will be reveled. :? :? :?

carcharias

Immortal
I saw turvey on Sports tonight??? last night (I think) . He sounded fairly convincing when he said there was no way they could afford either Bailey and or Anderson . He did mention Jarrod was trialing . He seemed amazed it is even being touted , he said something like everyone knows we cant afford it and laughed.

Anonymous

Juniors
beerboy said:
strewth!!!
sports tonight actually have some credibility so yeah.... strewth

Actually, Sports Tonight are well known for reporting rumours as facts, and being totally incorrect.. :p

Booyah

Bench
El Garbo said:
beerboy said:
strewth!!!
sports tonight actually have some credibility so yeah.... strewth

Actually, Sports Tonight are well known for reporting rumours as facts, and being totally incorrect.. :p

Definantly. I remember when they said something like Willie Mason had already signed with Cronulla, then 3 days later he signed with the Dogs.

Not sure if it was because of Mason's fiddle-farting around, but either way I was pissed off! :D

Booyah said:
Not sure if it was because of Mason's fiddle-farting around, but either way I was pissed off! :D

Yes well, same.

But I bet youre the same as me and youre GLAD after the way that big drunken idiot bear moron joker Mason played this year.

The Popper

Bench
Rumour I heard was that the Sharks money men didn't do their sums properly and what was cut and dried turned out to be a no-no. Apparently Sludge was spewing.

Booyah

Bench
ShireShark said:
Booyah said:

Yes well, same.

But I bet youre the same as me and youre GLAD after the way that big drunken idiot bear moron joker Mason played this year.

Hell yes. To say his performances this year have been poor would be a major understatement.

Too bad we can't use the money we saved to pay out all those lousy board members.
:cry:

Special K

Coach
The Popper said:
Rumour I heard was that the Sharks money men didn't do their sums properly and what was cut and dried turned out to be a no-no. Apparently Sludge was spewing.
Nah it was a done deal and Willie was on his way to sign with us and his mum called him and then he changed his mind.

I'm glad. Because if we signed him we would have not got Vagana :D