What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Fifita compared to Arthur Beetson

In terms of footballing ability, Beetson isn't worthy of sniffing Fifita's farts... Let's be honest...

You are a crude foul mouthed ignoramus. And that is just on your better days. You wouldn't have a clue what Arthur Beetson looked like, let alone seen him play. You should stick to playing with your own excrement in the toilet of your slum dwelling and leave judgments about rugby league talent to people with at least an average IQ.

Hutty1986

Immortal
In terms of footballing ability, Beetson isn't worthy of sniffing Fifita's farts... Let's be honest...

sacré bleu!

hqdefault.jpg

Foz

Bench
That is because Cronulla, unlike Eastern Suburbs/Sydney Roosters, did not have a quality team before 2016.

Eastern Suburbs teams of 1974 and 1975 were some of the greatest club teams ever assembled to play rugby league in Australia.
No argument.
Was at a lot of Easts games in 1974.
Including the semi they lost to Canterbury and also the grand final.
Was at the opposite end to where Artie scored the first try.
Great player who never seemed to get tackled with the ball.
I know Easts had a great side.
Buying Artie a few years earlier certainly helped but he wasn't alone.
Ronny Coote from Souths was pretty handy.
Didn't they buy Elwyn Walters too or am I mistaken?
Harris,Mullins,Peard,Fairfax were a few others I remember in that side.
Trying to remember the halfback was it Johnny Mayes?
Anyway you're proving my point.

Was at a lot of Easts 1975 games too.
Disadvantage of having Rooster mates.
Easts would've won both those Grand Finals if Artie didn't play.
In your heart of hearts you know that.
Hell didn't they win 38-0 in 75?
Cronulla wouldn't of won without Fifita.
If Artie was playing instead of Fifita in last years Grand Final.
Cronulla no chance.
Doubt he would've been on not forgetting carrying 5 blokes over the line to win the game.

No disrespect to Artie but what I believe.

By the way if you think Cronulla didn't have a quality team in 1978 were you watching footy?
They drew the Grand Final without Dane Sorenson and Greg Pierce (both internationals)because of suspension.
They were quality.
You can add Kurt Sorenson having to sit out the year because of the international transfer ban too.
Very strange comment.

McLovin

Staff member
You are a crude foul mouthed ignoramus. And that is just on your better days. You wouldn't have a clue what Arthur Beetson looked like, let alone seen him play. You should stick to playing with your own excrement in the toilet of your slum dwelling and leave judgments about rugby league talent to people with at least an average IQ.

TEcDhtKS2QPqE.webp

No argument.
Was at a lot of Easts games in 1974.
Including the semi they lost to Canterbury and also the grand final.
Was at the opposite end to where Artie scored the first try.
Great player who never seemed to get tackled with the ball.
I know Easts had a great side.
Buying Artie a few years earlier certainly helped but he wasn't alone.
Ronny Coote from Souths was pretty handy.
Didn't they buy Elwyn Walters too or am I mistaken?
Harris,Mullins,Peard,Fairfax were a few others I remember in that side.
Trying to remember the halfback was it Johnny Mayes?
Anyway you're proving my point.

Was at a lot of Easts 1975 games too.
Disadvantage of having Rooster mates.
Easts would've won both those Grand Finals if Artie didn't play.
In your heart of hearts you know that.
Hell didn't they win 38-0 in 75?
Cronulla wouldn't of won without Fifita.
If Artie was playing instead of Fifita in last years Grand Final.
Cronulla no chance.
Doubt he would've been on not forgetting carrying 5 blokes over the line to win the game.

No disrespect to Artie but what I believe.

By the way if you think Cronulla didn't have a quality team in 1978 were you watching footy?
They drew the Grand Final without Dane Sorenson and Greg Pierce (both internationals)because of suspension.
They were quality.
You can add Kurt Sorenson having to sit out the year because of the international transfer ban too.
Very strange comment.

You are right about 1978. I had forgotten because I was overseas from August 1976 till today, and in those days you couldn't see games on satellite TV or internet streaming.

But your judgment of Artie is not fair. I was at all Easts home games and most away games in 1974 and 1975. Big Artie had no peer in those years. He was extremely hard to tackle and would very often get an offload when he had been surrounded and partly tackled by several players. Jim Morgan, who was a very good prop, took some of the attention away from Beetson to give "the Big Fellow" a breather. Coach Jack Gibson forced the inveterate pie eater to lose weight and brought out the best in him. Beetson could have scored the try that Fifita scored in Origin 1 this year, and sometimes did similar. Big Artie was a freak: the best prop of his day, and probably ever, and quite rightly an Immortal. I am lucky enough to have met him several times and cherish my photo of us together. Pity that he had to die too young (in his 60s) of a heart attack.

I think Fifita is awesome and if he keeps it up, he'll be an Immortal but he was gash early on, plenty of potential but struggled with weight and attitude issues. That he was given away says a lot about how much of a problem he was back then.

Artie was better. Not only because he played for 15 years in an era where you could get snotted just for existing, but because he could pass the ball to set-up players outside him, as well as a killer offload that he did consistently whilst in heavy traffic. He was also one of those players (like Fifita) who had massive mitts and when they got hold of you, you were going to ground.

Artie was the best forward I've ever seen play the game, bar none.

Apey

Staff member
You are right about 1978. I had forgotten because I was overseas from August 1976 till today, and in those days you couldn't see games on satellite TV or internet streaming.

But your judgment of Artie is not fair. I was at all Easts home games and most away games in 1974 and 1975. Big Artie had no peer in those years.

I'm not sure anyone here is really going to believe you're out of your teens

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm not sure anyone here is really going to believe you're out of your teens

No 16 year old would have such refined and expansive knowledge of the game and its history, nor the depth of taste required to have a keen eye on SL and the French game.
Albert is clearly no Gen Z or whatever teenager.

RedVee

First Grade

But your judgment of Artie is not fair. I was at all Easts home games and most away games in 1974 and 1975. Big Artie had no peer in those years. He was extremely hard to tackle and would very often get an offload when he had been surrounded and partly tackled by several players. Jim Morgan, who was a very good prop, took some of the attention away from Beetson to give "the Big Fellow" a breather. Coach Jack Gibson forced the inveterate pie eater to lose weight and brought out the best in him. Beetson could have scored the try that Fifita scored in Origin 1 this year, and sometimes did similar. Big Artie was a freak: the best prop of his day, and probably ever, and quite rightly an Immortal. I am lucky enough to have met him several times and cherish my photo of us together. Pity that he had to die too young (in his 60s) of a heart attack.

Don't forget Artie in the 60s, winning a Test for Australia in 1/2 a game. Not bad for 'Half a game Artie' .

I believe it was Don Furner at Easts that got Artie to knuckle down and get fit.

Amin Yashed

Juniors
A better comparison is of Andrew Fifita with his twin brother David, who is carving up Super League with Wakefield Trinity. David Fifita is being compared with some of the great Wakefield props of all time, in a Super League which this year is stronger than the NRL (as seen in Wigan thumping Cronulla and Warrington thumping Brisbane in February).

So my conclusion is that Andrew Fifita could be the next David Fifita if he keeps at it.

Arthur Beetson is of course in another higher class all by himself.
You're a tool Adam.

POPEYE

Coach
Don't forget Artie in the 60s, winning a Test for Australia in 1/2 a game. Not bad for 'Half a game Artie' .

I believe it was Don Furner at Easts that got Artie to knuckle down and get fit.
If Fifita wasn't allowed to come and go he'd join all the other front rowers with straight up and down sides like Kasiano in the 'Half a game club'. Artie's half a game is not the same as today's half a game, he had to play until he could play no more, make sure the game was won before he left the field

bedlam breakout

Juniors
if he joins brother david at wakefield they can both become legend up the westgate run, a notorious drinking stretch in these parts

RedVee

First Grade
If Fifita wasn't allowed to come and go he'd join all the other front rowers with straight up and down sides like Kasiano in the 'Half a game club'. Artie's half a game is not the same as today's half a game, he had to play until he could play no more, make sure the game was won before he left the field
Yes, 'half a game' was a sledge at Artie in the old days. Now it's the norm. Ain't professionalism grand?

davi

Juniors
Wow. Just only couple weeks ago he was compared to Arthur Beetson, he was floated that his price tag was a million dollars a year on the open market. How things have changed in such a small amount of time.

State of Origin 2017: No room for Andrew Fifita in inaugural dream team

"He was compared to the late, great Arthur Beetson after his game one heroics, but Andrew Fifita was subsequently so effectively shut down that he isn't considered one of the best 17 players in this year's State of Origin series."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-in-inaugural-dream-team-20170715-gxbzxi.html