Andrew Johns picks Brad Fittler to take Laurie Daley job, would consider assistant role

Discussion in 'State of Origin and other State Leagues' started by OldPanther, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Pedge1971

Pedge1971 Juniors

The answer is right in front of us. Anthony Mundane lol.

2. Nightward

Nightward Juniors

This.

I kind of think NSW have reached the point where they need someone to put a broom through the place the way Bennett did in '01, but the problem they have is the same Queensland had back then: there are very few people with the political capital and proven track record to pull that off. I believe Johns and Gould are the only two NSW have who would be allowed to re-structure the Origin side of things.

However good Johns is as a halves coach and however correct his analysis of what ails NSW is, he is unproven in the top job and knows what it would take from his time in the system. If he judges he doesn't have the wherewithal to do so I can't really blame him. Especially since it would take time for any re-organisation to bear fruit.

Somebody needs to do it and Johns needs to be involved on some level even if just as a figure of inspiration, but if he knows he can't handle the top job it's better for all involved that he doesn't.

OldPanther likes this.
  3. Rhyno

Rhyno First Grade

Fittler is the best choice for coach

4. Pedge1971

Pedge1971 Juniors

Mundine. With Khoder Nasser as manager, $BW as think tank and Fergo as captain.

5. OldPanther

OldPanther Juniors

Also have Fergo play 80 minutes as a prop to lead from the front.

6. THE CHAMP

THE CHAMP Bench

7. Shorty

Shorty Moderator Staff Member

Yeah I can completely see why Joey has said no after the press and opinions in the last week.
    Daley is being completely trashed in the media, I was only pre teen/teenage in 2000s but did Queensland media personalities have this sort of attitude?
    I think it's fine to have opinions but to rubbish in the media, like Gus has, seems wrong to me.
    I've said before you have a lot of divas in the NSW side, it wouldn't be easy trying to manage these guys.

8. King hit

King hit Juniors

Yes QLD media personalities and ex players had exactly the same attitude. Can easily remember the calls to sack Lockyer.

OldPanther likes this.
  9. Shorty

Shorty Moderator Staff Member

That's a player, I mean the coach and publicly criticizing like Laurie has.

10. King hit

King hit Juniors

I think there was, Hagen came under a lot of criticism if I remember correctly