What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Webster & GWS

adamkungl

Immortal
Changed his tune, or is a reasonably good journalist that takes things as they come and rarely (if ever) stoops to muckraking or shitting upon things for the sake of it.

But but he once reported on GWS in Prague while being paid to do so!

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Well you know he reads these places because I caught the end of afl siders on Sunday and he said all us leagues reckon he and his ilk are paid to write positive articles on afl in Sydney and he laughed along with the other drones whilst denying it.
He is full of shit.

mongoose

Coach
Well you know he reads these places because I caught the end of afl siders on Sunday and he said all us leagues reckon he and his ilk are paid to write positive articles on afl in Sydney and he laughed along with the other drones whilst denying it.
He is full of shit.

Wasn't that on Wide world of sports? He said League fans accused him of being on the take from AFL. One of the Melbourne based panelists actually dropped his jaw acting in disbelief :eek: I don't think Webster is paid by the AFL he usually seems pretty balanced but the other panelists looked very awkward when he made that comment.

Wasn't that on Wide world of sports? He said League fans accused him of being on the take from AFL. One of the Melbourne based panelists actually dropped his jaw acting in disbelief :eek: I don't think Webster is paid by the AFL he usually seems pretty balanced but the other panelists looked very awkward when he made that comment.
Possibly because the other journalists might be on the afl pay roll.

TheRam

Coach
Well after only 5 years they are attracting bigger crowds to their semi then Melbourne ever did in almost 20 years.

Also have they got any NSW juniors playing in the team? Melbourne Storm have diddly squat.

Juniors and crowds is where it's at. Fans will grow from here and the TV audience will follow.

You guys are just plain delusional and in denial. The AFL are winning the war long term hands down.

How do you change an old entrenched system? One funeral at a time. They don't give a rats arse about you lot, they want your kids.

The ARLC is a disgrace starting from the two incompetent leaders down. If we don't get a total clean out within 3-5 years, then I'm afraid that it will probably be to late to change the mindset direction of the Australian sporting fan. The majority of NSW-QLD people will be duel NRL/AFL fans and then it will just get worse from there.

Like I said before, 20-30 years from now all of Australia will be AFL centric. There will be no stopping it. There is a tipping point and we are fast approaching it.

taipan

Referee
No need then for Bernie Gurr at the Eels.
No need for the Panther's academy nor the NSWRL academy at Homebush.
No need for Touch or league tag to get people involved in the code.
No need to have a womens comp U17 or a female RLWC.Fem,ale rl the fastest growing area(the future mothers).
No need for Eels and ANZ stadium to be proper/and or decent rectangular ones.
No need for SOO in Melbourne which attracted 90,000 midweek at the MCG.
No need tp spend money on indigenous programs.
No need for record memberships. which includes the Storm or the continued growth of grassroots in Victoria.
No need to receive $40m from the state govt for NRL clubs.
No need for the record $215m in merchandise sales last year.
No need for junior development in Victoria which was neglected until at least 2005-7
No need for a RLWC.
No need for monies to assist the Pacific Islands or PNG.

No mention of the fact the Storm started in 1998 with SFA juniors and the AFL in Sydney in 1982 with junior base in NSW at least in Riverina and even in parts of Sydney.They have had 16 years on the Storm.
No mention of the fact the Storm get next to nothing in the media,the Swans Sydney media bends over for them.
No mention of the NRL losing money in 2012 or having 3 clubs in financial trouble and one needing assistance.
No mention of the fact the Knights and Titans will be sold within the next 12 months
No mention of the cripple fight that Parramatta( our biggest club in Sydney was this year.)
Nor the Roosters.
Nor Cronulla with ASADA.Nor the losses with the Dragons (all fires needed putting out)
No mention of the incompetence of Essendon and the AFL hierarchy over ASADA.

What we need is having plenty of money and have 10 clubs losing it,have the Lions in debt to $13.5m and both the Lions and GC Suns having decent crowd drops.Have drops in crowds in Melbourne ,and anger because the Nthn clubs are getting the draft picks and money to assist.
Waste money in Wellington NZ,and try somewhere else.
We need another SL,to give fumble ball more leg ups.

Perhaps what we do need is players not carrying on like idiots off the field.TV money from 2018 sooner rather than later.And a match revue panel that is consistent and has a simplified method of penalties and refs that don't stuff up.And yes expansion,but not at the expense of Sydney clubs.
Once you get the TV money you can spend it on grassroots.The NRL has promised an additional $100m pa for this from 2018 ,if they don't then we have a problem.

Yes we have had stuff ups with the admin this year and prior,hardly unique.

20-30 years from now there will be teams in other states,and a much bigger RLWC.Like all codes in this country (except perhaps union) there will be growth.And it will be a bumpy ride,because sport is like that.
Juniors and crowds is indeed where it's at.So the NRL clubs better get their acts together professionally ,and that includes Parra,and more than a few are doing it.

RoosTah

Juniors
This RL forum is the only place I've ever seen or heard regular (not media) folks discuss GWS
I work with a couple guys who are members at GWS, but the kicker is one is from Perth and the other is from Canberra and part of the Ainsley AFL community - both joined because of the benefits of being a "foundation member" and admit they don't go to many games because they don't like going out west lol. I've not met an actual Sydney-sider who supports them.

Coz he writes about GWS sometimes. What a merkin.

Merkin or no merkin. GWS or no GWS.

If he loves this sport, how about he ceases writing columns of waste about Hayson and match fixing and RL and focuses not on GWS but the current RL finals series and the efforts of those players who are playing outstanding football.

Whoever invented the term "opinion writer" should be shot, hung, stabbed and then publicly flogged.

LESStar58

Referee
Sadly, the old adage of journos wanting to report the news and not become the news is a thing of the past.

Narrative has replaced news in all media. tv shows are loaded up with sycophantic lefty commentators (I identify as being a centrist when it comes to politics or the court of public opinion).

Feelings and narrative have become far more important than facts which makes me hurl in my corn flakes.

Red Bear

Referee
Merkin or no merkin. GWS or no GWS.

If he loves this sport, how about he ceases writing columns of waste about Hayson and match fixing and RL and focuses not on GWS but the current RL finals series and the efforts of those players who are playing outstanding football.

Whoever invented the term "opinion writer" should be shot, hung, stabbed and then publicly flogged.
Criticise afl media for sweeping incidents under the rug. Would prefer league incidents were swept under the rug

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Narrative has replaced news in all media. tv shows are loaded up with sycophantic lefty commentators (I identify as being a centrist when it comes to politics or the court of public opinion).

Feelings and narrative have become far more important than facts which makes me hurl in my corn flakes.

Agrees. I regard the media as perpetuating many of societies problems and the whole outrage rubbish in Australia in particular drives me nuts. personally I catch the news each day with a quick scan of the BBC and some British broadsheets. I totally avoid Australian commercial media like the plague

I heard mark geyser on Triple M last week saying how he was asked by a commercial station to come on and act outraged by jarred Hayne associating with bikies. says it all really

Latest posts