What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Angus Crichton

BennyV

Referee
Well done to the Roosters. They saw their man and went out to grab him, don't let any bullshit stand in their way. Whole lot of sour grapes in here!

Tough on Rabbits. We all saw what happened when Beau Scott signed for Knights early on, shit to see a player run around waiting for the following year. Personally I'd dump him to reserve grade for the year.

But, umm...is he really worth it? He's young and talented but he's had 1 good year! Could easily be the next Aiden Guerra or Chris McQueen - solid at best but mostly living of the reputation he built in a single good year of footy...

Old Timer

Coach
Well done to the Roosters. They saw their man and went out to grab him, don't let any bullshit stand in their way. Whole lot of sour grapes in here!

Tough on Rabbits. We all saw what happened when Beau Scott signed for Knights early on, shit to see a player run around waiting for the following year. Personally I'd dump him to reserve grade for the year.

But, umm...is he really worth it? He's young and talented but he's had 1 good year! Could easily be the next Aiden Guerra or Chris McQueen - solid at best but mostly living of the reputation he built in a single good year of footy...
Agree with most of your post but suspect Crichton will be a lot better than average.
Also many a RL great became so on the back of an initial good year, Frank Facer was a genius at sorting the wheat from the chaff maybe the Roosters are really good at it too?
Would have been interesting to see what FF would have thought of the likes of Pongya, Mitchell, Crichton?

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
From a Dragon's fan I hope you're right. You guys have every right to feel dirty.
While I have my frustrations with the NRL, I find a greater source of frustration with European football- Liverpool, my ever underperforming team, develop a promising player such as Coutinho into something special and, even if the player is contracted to Liverpool for five years for a kings ransom as Coutinho is, Real Madrid or Barcelona who dominate European club football come knocking and keep knocking until the player is released. The word contract in football has become a sick joke.

Roosters are building nicely especially for 2019 with the team they will have by then.

Only two spots left in top 17.
1. Tedesco.
2. Mansour.
3. Mitchell.
4. Ferguson.
5. Tuivasa-Sheck
6. Keary.
7. Cronk.
13. Merrin.
12. Cordner
11. Crichton.
10. Hargreaves.
9 Friend.
8. Napa.
14. SBW.
15. SS Taukeiaho.
16 ????
17 ????

I predict they will still "choke" a week out from the GF.

Frank Facer

First Grade
He's a Roosters junior - he just went home in the end! No difference to Jack Bird returning to us or Dean Whare, or Joey Leilua..
Was always happening.. I'll bet though that the Rabbitohs will smash the Roosters both times they olay next year!! Taking bets now!

Crichton had a great 2017. He has only been playing League for a short time. He will get better and I think he will be an origin and Australian player within 3 years. I would definitely have him penciled in on the bench for NSW next year. The pack I would have penciled in for next year would be

13 DeBelin
12 Cordner
11 Frizzell
10 Vaughan
9 TBC
8 Klemmer

14 utility either Bird or Gutherson
15 Crichton
16 Fifita
17 Mclean/RCG/J Trbojevic

I do agree with your statement Well done to the Roosters. They saw their man and went out to grab him and didn't let any bullshit stand in their way. I wish we could compete with Easts/Politis.The thing is that when Easts are in the market for a top player, who would have many suitors vying for his signature, they usually get their man. As soon as I heard that Easts were chasing Crichton, I thought that Easts would sign him and the only other club who I thought was a chance was Souths.

BTW I do know on good authority that Easts do pay players cash payments.

Last edited:

Dragons22

Juniors
Geez, the Rorters are really beginning to piss me off. Every single player they have to make it their need to sign him. The Roosters already had an established halves combination in Keary and Pearce, but they decide, hey look, Cronk is now on the market, he only has 2 years left on him (no doubting he is a good player), but let’s just move on a player who has been with us for years, just to get Cronk for 2 years. Now with Crichton, oh look, there is another player on the market, let’s just take him too. Is there anyone in their current side which is a local junior, developed in the Roosters system? This just makes the me hate the Roosters more and moves them up in what I call ‘the basket of deplorables’ this includes; The Roosters, Melbourne, the Bulldogs, Manly and Brisbane, and to some extent, Cronulla. I’d love it, if we could really turn it up against them on ANZAC Day next year.

SaintPauli

Juniors
RE : Chriton, Tedesco, & Cronk

Most clubs would have celebrated just getting 1 of the above players!

Yep Roarters seems to strike again and again. Whoever uncle Nik wants uncle Nick gets.

How often do we see the Roosters get their man. In other words name a club that's beaten Uncle Nick to signing a player ever !!!! They just always seem to get their man. Always. Uncle Nick is to smart for the NRL.

Time for Greenberg to solve the TPA'S
as its clearly not a level playing field for all clubs and a bad indictment on the game which is getting to us fans.

OVP

Coach
YX6ZTJ2.gif

Drag Queen

Bench
ML, l’m being serious in saying, l didn’t think the Rorters had any juniors.[/QUOTE
ML, l’m being serious in saying, l didn’t think the Rorters had any juniors.
I thought the Wyong Roos were the Rorters feeder club. Quite a bit of talent there but I don't recall Crichton playing for them. From memory I recall Taane Milne and Angus playing rep schoolboy union. Then again I could be plucking that one out of my arse like ML ;)

Frank Facer

First Grade
RE : Chriton, Tedesco, & Cronk

Most clubs would have celebrated just getting 1 of the above players!

Yep Roarters seems to strike again and again. Whoever uncle Nik wants uncle Nick gets.

How often do we see the Roosters get their man. In other words name a club that's beaten Uncle Nick to signing a player ever !!!! They just always seem to get their man. Always. Uncle Nick is to smart for the NRL.

Time for Greenberg to solve the TPA'S
as its clearly not a level playing field for all clubs and a bad indictment on the game which is getting to us fans.
I totally agree.

I actually came up with the saying Nick Always Gets His Man Politis back in around 2012.

Life's Good

Coach
Don’t hate the player, hate the game.
If the rules allow for this sort of thing and the Roosters(Broncos & others)exploit it then the problem exists elsewhere eg. NRL & TPA or the other clubs(us included)for not being smart enough to get in on the act.
Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a good look where the perception is that the comp is lopsided but that needs to be balanced with the number of different premiership winners over the last 10-15 years(including some first timers).

giboz71

First Grade
Said it in JA.

Pearce, SKD, Guerra, Watson, Evans, Nikorima and Gordon all gone in the space of 12 months. Napa likely on the way out too by the end of 2018.

They cleared the decks to get the guys they wanted.

I don’t see the problem. We could learn something from them by putting emotion out of the equation and not hold on to nuffies that aren’t gonna help you win a comp (ie pretty much all of our outside backs).

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
Said it in JA.

Pearce, SKD, Guerra, Watson, Evans, Nikorima and Gordon all gone in the space of 12 months. Napa likely on the way out too by the end of 2018.

They cleared the decks to get the guys they wanted.

I don’t see the problem. We could learn something from them by putting emotion out of the equation and not hold on to nuffies that aren’t gonna help you win a comp (ie pretty much all of our outside backs).

If you can't see a problem in that 3 players will be taking up 3 million and they have to pay another 27 in their squad plus handle upgrades than that demonstrates the hold uncle Nick has over the NRL. IMHO the sums can't add up .

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Well from the looks of it, Millward didn't even want!

Bs possm
We tried but can not compete with the rooster.
They have a lot of money behind them.
I told you we were trying but he was going to go to the roosters.
You can't beat them when it comes to money.
Your personal vendettas should not effect your judgement but they do.
Millward and his team are one of they only areas at the dragons that are doing a good job.

BennyV

Referee
Crichton had a great 2017. He has only been playing League for a short time. He will get better and I think he will be an origin and Australian player within 3 years. I would definitely have him penciled in on the bench for NSW next year. The pack I would have penciled in for next year would be

13 DeBelin
12 Cordner
11 Frizzell
10 Vaughan
9 TBC
8 Klemmer

14 utility either Bird or Gutherson
15 Crichton
16 Fifita
17 Mclean/RCG/J Trbojevic

I do agree with your statement Well done to the Roosters. They saw their man and went out to grab him and didn't let any bullshit stand in their way. I wish we could compete with Easts/Politis.The thing is that when Easts are in the market for a top player, who would have many suitors vying for his signature, they usually get their man. As soon as I heard that Easts were chasing Crichton, I thought that Easts would sign him and the only other club who I thought was a chance was Souths.

BTW I do know on good authority that Easts do pay players cash payments.
Maybe he will get better and become the top edge backrower in the comp. Or maybe this sort of attention puts a target on his back and he crumbles. Hard to say.

He did have a break out year, and as mentioned he's very talented. But next year, he will be put on notice and opposition will be doing a lot more work on him. The real big danger men will go hunting for him and he may not get the room to work with. He'll have to adjust his game from being a flashy, creative player to being a workhorse. And at 21, it's a tough gig to deal with. It's what separates the top shelf backrowers - the Cordner, Gillet and Hoffman's - from the 'decent' edge backrowers - the Guerra, McQueen and Cooper level. He's certainly not guaranteed.

Personally, I'm more excited to see what Host can do if given a proper opportunity over a season in his actual position than I would be if we signed Crichton.