What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another LOL@Refs for SOO game 3

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I don't think many are contesting the penalties given to the Blues, and a lopsided count is to be expected with those possession stats in the 1st half, but the possession evened up in the 2nd half and the same infringements that QLD were being penalised for in the 1st half went unpunished in the 2nd.

Meth

Staff member
Without my blues glasses on, whilst yes he was offside, i'm sure i've seen tries given in the past when a players has been offside but hasn't had an impact on the result.

I'm not trolling. Forgive me if i'm wrong but.

I have definitely seen tries denied with the player having less of an impact than Jennings did.

Sime_11

Juniors
it was great that NSW were given the rub of the green but typically it was during a dead rubber.

Fifita's try wasn't a try for me, Jennings was contesting with O'Neill (correct me if im wrong) for the ball so he was involved, but on the other hand, could you say O'Neil was going to get there ahead of Fifita.

Cronk held Wade back, fair call IMO, same with Fifita's sin bin in the 2nd half. Although they should have looked a Guerra's he did seem to make an attempt at punching fifita IMO which is an instant sin bin yeh na yeh

user_nat

Coach
I'm not sure I've ever seen that10m rule interpreted that way.
Would be pretty annoying if the series was active.

I'm also not sure if it was just a channel 9 replay thing, but I'm not convinced with the Boyd try either.

Last edited:

Shorty

Staff member
Without my blues glasses on, whilst yes he was offside, i'm sure i've seen tries given in the past when a players has been offside but hasn't had an impact on the result.

I'm not trolling. Forgive me if i'm wrong but.
Your glasses are amazingly blue though....

Anyway if you could cite those games because I've never seen a try given like that....ever.
On the other hands I've seen some called back because of it, I'm almost sure there was one involving the Cowboys 'No try' last year somewhere.

Big Pete

Referee
It was some of the most blatant home-town refereeing performances you're going to see and unfortunately it impacted the game.

It'd be one thing if the Blues made the most of the possession and played the house down, but they were clueless with the ball through out. Even when they'd stumble onto the odd good play, they never went back to it, just the same side to side rubbish.

The one that got me was that penalty to Robbie Farah in the 64th minute. The guy dead-set dropped the ball cold and somehow the referees found a way to blow the Blues the penalty. There were a few calls like that, the Gillett tackle on Maloney was another in the 27th minute. The referees were happy to play on until they realised Maloney had lost it. There was no chatter of anything untoward in the tackle, but of course the natural reaction was to blow the penalty.

And there were other instances like that which didn't do the game any favours.

However, the series is done and dusted now. There's no point carrying on about it, you just hope Archer gives a fair dinkum assessment of the performance because if that's what the NRL's best is capable of...I would hate to see the worst.

Big Pete

Referee
There's no point carrying on about it, you just hope Archer gives a fair dinkum assessment of the performance because if that's what the NRL's best is capable of...

Welp, just saw the video on NRL.com

I can live with the Fifita try decision, but his defence of the penalty count and unwillingness to justify those calls brings his integrity into question.

Hutty1986

Immortal
I don't think many are contesting the penalties given to the Blues, and a lopsided count is to be expected with those possession stats in the 1st half, but the possession evened up in the 2nd half and the same infringements that QLD were being penalised for in the 1st half went unpunished in the 2nd.

It surprised me because so often with the refs you see one side get a run of penalties (I think it was Matty Elliott said on Grandstand last weekend that if your side is dominating physically, you get around 70% of the '50/50's'.. ) the opposition often get penalties just to even the count up. Call me cynical, but that's often the case. NSW were hugely on top but like Pete said, the attack was abysmal. It was so, so bad. If Qld had that much ball and territory they score at least 3 tries and put the game to bed at HT.

Despite the horrifically bad execution, NSW were still all over them and the penalty count just reflected that.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Archer's conference just screamed internal politics. Exactly the sort of response you would expect when the NRL and refs are backed into a corner. Double down and hope the media get bored and move on to the next story of the day. Lucky all those players are getting sacked, amirite?

Big Pete

Referee
It surprised me because so often with the refs you see one side get a run of penalties (I think it was Matty Elliott said on Grandstand last weekend that if your side is dominating physically, you get around 70% of the '50/50's'.. ) the opposition often get penalties just to even the count up. Call me cynical, but that's often the case. NSW were hugely on top but like Pete said, the attack was abysmal. It was so, so bad. If Qld had that much ball and territory they score at least 3 tries and put the game to bed at HT.

Despite the horrifically bad execution, NSW were still all over them and the penalty count just reflected that.

Yeah, which is why the penalty count blew out the way that it did. However, there were a bunch of calls that really aided the Blues and helped them get on the front foot.

There were a few before it, but the one that stands out to me is the Maloney penalty in the 27th minute. Even Joey was flabbergasted by that call and it just gave the Blues the impetus they didn't deserve.

It certainly wasn't the worst officiated Origin game of all-time, but by the same token it wasn't good enough nor a good look.

drago brelli

Bench
Welp, just saw the video on NRL.com

I can live with the Fifita try decision, but his defence of the penalty count and unwillingness to justify those calls brings his integrity into question.

Until the ref can justify all of those penalties to Cameron Smith he should never ref again.

MilkShark

First Grade
It was some of the most blatant home-town refereeing performances you're going to see and unfortunately it impacted the game.

It'd be one thing if the Blues made the most of the possession and played the house down, but they were clueless with the ball through out. Even when they'd stumble onto the odd good play, they never went back to it, just the same side to side rubbish.

The one that got me was that penalty to Robbie Farah in the 64th minute. The guy dead-set dropped the ball cold and somehow the referees found a way to blow the Blues the penalty. There were a few calls like that, the Gillett tackle on Maloney was another in the 27th minute. The referees were happy to play on until they realised Maloney had lost it. There was no chatter of anything untoward in the tackle, but of course the natural reaction was to blow the penalty.

And there were other instances like that which didn't do the game any favours.

However, the series is done and dusted now. There's no point carrying on about it, you just hope Archer gives a fair dinkum assessment of the performance because if that's what the NRL's best is capable of...I would hate to see the worst.

Honestly, Qld have had the upper hand every year with dodgy calls going there way. If you disagree with that i'd be very surprised.

I think the refereeing was good. Sure there were some bad calls but when isn't there?

Qld didn't come to play footy, they wanted hold down in the tackles and slow the game down. They deserved every single one of those penalties conceded for this. And on their line they were more than happy to concede penalties to keep their defensive line intact.

So spare everyone the BS whinge about how Qld were hard done by. Come to play next time and we will all see a much faster entertaining game.

Last edited:

some11

Referee
I'm inclined to agree with the guy who's got a long track record of honest, objective analysis than some blow in.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Honestly, Qld have have the upper hand over the year of dodgy calls going there way. If you;re disagree with that i'd be very surprised.

I think the refereeing was good. Sure there were some bad calls but when isn't there?

Qld didn't come to play footy, they wanted hold down in the tackles and slow the game down. They deserved every single one of those penalties conceded for this. And on their line they were more than happy to concede penalties to keep their defensive line intact.

So spare everyone the BS whinge about how Qld were hard done by. Come to play next time and we will all see a much faster entertaining game.

You honestly believe NSW only deserved 3 penalties against them the entire match?

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Yeah, which is why the penalty count blew out the way that it did. However, there were a bunch of calls that really aided the Blues and helped them get on the front foot.

There were a few before it, but the one that stands out to me is the Maloney penalty in the 27th minute. Even Joey was flabbergasted by that call and it just gave the Blues the impetus they didn't deserve.

It certainly wasn't the worst officiated Origin game of all-time, but by the same token it wasn't good enough nor a good look.
Joey is flabbaghasted at a lot of things, none of them give others much trouble to understand

Adding this in really doesn't back your argument up

Last Week

Bench
Why are any of us surprised at refereeing inconsistency?

Let's have a look at the penalty count for every Origin played in Queensland over the last 11 years.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Why are any of us surprised at refereeing inconsistency?

Let's have a look at the penalty count for every Origin played in Queensland over the last 11 years.

Pretty sure there has never been a penalty count as exaggerated as 12-3, but exactly my point. I look forward to the Blues Fans response to the next lop sided count at Lang Park.

Latest posts