What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another Souths player caught drinking

Sugar

Bench
http://www.theserve.com.au/another-south....-20080429193456
Another Souths player caught drinking: reports
Staff writers
April 29th, 2008

A day after five players were sanctioned for testing positive to alcohol, there are accusations another player also tested positive to alcohol yet wasn’t punished.

Four players were deemed ineligible for first grade this week, while David Kidwell lost a share of the captaincy. All five turned up at Saturday’s recovery session with alcohol in their systems.

National Nine News has reported that an unnamed player failed an internal breathalyser test the previous week, with the matter swept under the carpet.

National Nine News has also alleged the Rabbitohs playing group is split by the decision to allow Kidwell to play this week.

Jason Taylor defended the move, claiming the loss of the captaincy was sufficient.

“To put him in premier league for a week and then bring him back I don’t think would have had as big an impact as taking the captaincy off him,” Taylor said.​

Dave Q

Coach
If this is the type of team we get from a few blokes blowing low-range, then I say bring on the fugging Oktoberfest!!

Since the assault on Craig Wing, we have struggled to find a decent halfback.

As the pressure built up, young Jez lost the plot until he just couldnt take a single trick. Things he did with commensurate ease last year became harder than being Brendon Nelson's PR man.

Along comes Eddie Paea. He is entirely unready for the big time. He's like sending in a destroyer to rescue a submarine.

Looks good but largely inneffective (he will improve like a vintage wine, he's just not ready now).

Rogers couldnt cope against his old club Penrith. Look he's had a dig this year, but he's no halfback.

Enter Issac Luke.

Does anyone not think that he has been one of our best players?

Is he not lightning fast, uncanny in step, a satisfactory passer of the ball and an accomplished defender?

Can anyone argue why he doesnt he deserve a crack in this important role?

I for one am genuinely looking forward to this selection.

So much so, I'm thinking of attending the game for no other reason than to see how he goes first hand.

Out the twisted carnage that is Souths 08, Luke may walk out as cool as you like, bigger, brighter and more explosive than he's ever been before.

Out of the ashes a new tougher and more succesful South Sydney will emerge. Thats a promise.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
That's not a helpful rumour. Hope there is nothing in it.

Ben Rogers is now having having a whinge about his punishment. That's a pretty poor decision on his part if he hopes to play first grade again this year ... maybe its indictative of why his fifth tackle option decisions are so poor (maybe what's between the ears isn't so good).

Now that David Kidwell has had the captaincy stripped I think he's lost his protected species concessions ... if he doesn't perform now, then it's a lot easier to drop someone who ISN'T the captain. I hope he lifts for his sake.

I want to avoid letting my expectations get too high in regard to Isaac Luke, but the kid will try his heart out and I think he has the talent and commitment to back it up. He shouldn't be expected to walk on water immediaately, though. I think Souths will be better for having him in the "7".

Ziggy the God

First Grade
I have been a big supporter of Rogers, as although he makes plenty of mistakes, at least he has a go and tries things out there.

That said, that outburst has me seeing red. If he is pissed off, bring it up internally, don't blurt it out in the press.

As far as I am concerned, that pharken wanker should be punted from the club asap.

The stupid little prick.

julian87

Juniors
Rogers did his dash with me last week when he didn't even try and catch the ball in goal on the full.

Way to audition for another contract Ben! :clap:

As far as I am concerned, the door is that way :arrow: Be careful it doesn't smack you on the @rse on the way out!

I personally do not agree with the "grog rules" but the players made the rules themselves.Benny knew full well what he was doing.He only has himself to blame.

Rules are rules and if you have an issue you deal with it internally. Could you imagine if someone at the Bronco's came out and criticised a decision that Bennett had made in the media. He would have been on the next bus out. Whether the rule is right or wrong is not the issue, its the fact that Rogers has hung some dirty laundry out in the media. Should not play first grade at Souths again IMO. Bears for the season and then not offered a contract for next year.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Agree with Ziggy and DKoR 100 per cent.

I have been a bit of a Rogers fan, but this borders on inexcusable.