What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

another test sacrificed ......on boxing day

TheParraboy

Staff member
thanks to team india, no boxing day test for South Africa, looks like they are welcoming Zimbabwe to play a 4 game match instead

4 tests series now turns to 3 tests
But
5 ODI series now becomes 6

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/20767233/sa-play-four-day-game-zimbabwe-india-tour-cut

India's tour to South Africa has been cut to three Tests from the original four, but will include an additional ODI, taking the total number of 50-over matches to six along with three T20s. As reported by ESPNcricinfo earlier in the week, India's tour will begin with a late New Year's Test which starts from January 5 at Newlands - three days later than the usual start for the festive fixture.

Although South Africa have lost out on a Boxing Day Test against India, they host Zimbabwe for a four-day day-night match in Port Elizabeth, starting from December 26. Cricket South Africa is awaiting ICC approval before labelling the Zimbabwe fixture a Test.

The confirmation of the India's tour comes after months of speculation about when the tour would be finalised and whether South Africa would be able to host a 10-Test summer. That will only be possible if the Zimbabwe match is allowed to go ahead as a Test; CSA is confident the ICC will give them the green light at their October meeting in Auckland.

For over a decade, the ICC has been hearing the case for four-day Tests and the discussion was taken up in earnest again this year. One of the key reasons for shortening Tests is to be able to save time on a tour and allow for more matches.

An insider told ESPNcricinfo that CSA understands if four-day Tests are approved, they will only be played when decided by an MoU between member countries and they are more likely to be played between the so-called younger teams in Test cricket or when a top-tier team plays a lower-ranked opponent. South Africa hope to be pioneers in the format.

After that match, they will turn their attention to India, who will arrive in South Africa on December 28, four days after their home series against Sri Lanka ends. India will have a two-day practice match in Paarl on December 30 and 31. India were understood to have wanted two warm-up matches, but there isn't enough time.

"The time constraints faced by India have forced us to reduce the Test matches to three, while increasing white-ball cricket to six ODIs and three T20I matches," Haroon Lorgat, the CSA CEO, said.

undertaker

Coach
Was just about to post something in the cricket crap thread regarding the proposed four day test match.

It will be interesting to see if this gets approved by the ICC, in regards to how many overs/day will be scheduled. I'm a fan of 4 day tests, but only if they increase the number of overs/day. Keeping it at 90 won't be a success in the long-term, as there will be too many draws at most venues that have flat pitches these days.

For 4 days, it needs to be 105-111 overs/day (3 x 2 1/2 hour sessions, 35-37 overs/session), meaning there won't be a lot of lost time from a 5 day test

Timbo

Staff member
f**kin BCC f**kin I.

Credit to CSA for trying to schedule a test against against Zimbabwe in its place. At least they get the importance.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Was just about to post something in the cricket crap thread regarding the proposed four day test match.

It will be interesting to see if this gets approved by the ICC, in regards to how many overs/day will be scheduled. I'm a fan of 4 day tests, but only if they increase the number of overs/day. Keeping it at 90 won't be a success in the long-term, as there will be too many draws at most venues that have flat pitches these days.

For 4 days, it needs to be 105-111 overs/day (3 x 2 1/2 hour sessions, 35-37 overs/session), meaning there won't be a lot of lost time from a 5 day test

Im not a fan of 5 to 4 day tests however it does have some merit if indeed they don't lose much in terms of overall overs (will be long days though), and more importantly test cricket isn't being cut back.

Though I have my doubts and believe cutting back the days of a test is a sinister attempt to play more t20 crap. Wont be long before most nations have a 5 game t20 for visiting nations or a t20 tri series in their cricket calendar , on top of their domestic t20 series - its just not cricket

hineyrulz

Post Whore
f**king India, ruining the game.

4 day tests you watch them merkins push them now just to fit in more meaningless 20/20 shit.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Tough luck SA. The reason they don't tour Australia during December and January is because they want to play their own boxing day and new year's tests. Now they kowtow to India and lose them.

Not too concerned about reducing the 'test' against Zim to four days it may be a way forward when playing the minnows, evening out the contest and giving them more opportunities.

Tommy Smith

Referee
India's first touring Test series since what, 2005? And they still shortened it.

BCCI continue to kill the game and the ICC continue to bend to their will.

Give it 20 years and the Ashes will be the only Test cricket played.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Tough luck SA. The reason they don't tour Australia during December and January is because they want to play their own boxing day and new year's tests. Now they kowtow to India and lose them.

Not too concerned about reducing the 'test' against Zim to four days it may be a way forward when playing the minnows, evening out the contest and giving them more opportunities.

Yup, we will never play SA here or over there in a boxing day test match

Interesting enough (unbelievable really) I think WI are due to play in our boxing day test again when they tour 19/20 . Can anyone confirm this?, for the life of me cant remember where I saw it, probably lost the link after I picked myself off the floor :confused:

Front-Rower

First Grade
If Australia doesn’t pick up its game we might be playing NZ in NZ on Boxing Day...but then again they will probably be in tier 1 and us lowly second graders will be being pounded by the Irish inside 4 days :oops:

Das Gupta

Juniors
4 days tests? Bowl 110 overs a day? Yeah right they struggle to bowl 90 in a day.
What happens if you lose whole days play to rain?
With all the rain and bad light in England every test would probably end in a draw.

Last edited:

Latest posts