What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Griffin Disappreciation Society

OldPanther

Coach
Besides the fact we were so flat the rest of the play was poorly executed, CHN didn't run the decoy well and the timing was out, it was obvious we were going out the back as soon as Cleary got the ball.

I can't go back and watch it because I deleted it off the foxtel but I do remember thinking at the time he seemed to look off trying to come around properly. Could just be they aren't training it and were trying it off the top of their heads.

GongPanther

Referee
If anyone can remember their frame of mind after the first 8 or nine weeks,and compare it before Saturday's match,this season after all the setbacks was not only a pass,but a bounce-back success of sorts.

Too bad we didn't come 8th. But if there is a negative,I think history will question the timing behind Moylan's absence.

Kilkenny

Coach
We were poor all season when attacking inside our opponents 20 and apparently had 32 tackles inside the Bronco's 20 on Friday and could only come away with the one try which was hardly a result of positive attacking or structured play.

We have lot's of issue that need to be fixed and resolved and while I suspect coach Griffin has already resigned a new deal I would prefer to see how we perform next season before any decision is made on his future.

Bob

Juniors
We were poor all season when attacking inside our opponents 20 and apparently had 32 tackles inside the Bronco's 20 on Friday and could only come away with the one try which was hardly a result of positive attacking or structured play.

We have lot's of issue that need to be fixed and resolved and while I suspect coach Griffin has already resigned a new deal I would prefer to see how we perform next season before any decision is made on his future.
I honestly think he needs a tactician as an assistant
I think from memory all he has is Ciraldo

Pomoz

Bench
If Moga's rushing in is obvious and its hard to disagree with that assessment, the obvious question is why Cleary didn't do something about it? When JT had his arm dangling down in SOO2 commentators like Andrew Johns were very critical of the NSW halves for not targeting him. In fact Johns was angry at the lack of game smarts. The point being, its not just the coach who is responsible for adjusting the play as the game progresses.

I think the team has to take responsibility for the lack of game smarts and for failing to respond to what was in front of them at the time. That is not a set play. That is adjusting to what you see. The great halves do it all the time. JT would have had that sorted in a few sets and a try would have resulted.

Maybe its because our halfback is a rookie. Maybe its because our 5/8th is a rookie. Maybe its because reading the game is not a skill they possess. Who knows why?

In the off-season our coaches will need to work with the halves to get them to work out things like that. "When this happens, we do this. When that that happens we do something else" and so on. But you have to accept that even if they are coached, when the game is played at semi-final intensity then its the players who have to adjust on the run and make the calls. Of course Griffin isn't blameless, but he isn't the only one at fault, as Johns pointed out in his withering assessment of the NSW halves, the coach can only do so much.

Only time will tell if Cleary has the ability to read the game and adjust as he goes along. We forget, he is still a rookie playing the toughest position in the team. Unfortunately, other than Wallace, most of this season the other spine positions have also been rookies. How good would it be if we could get somebody like Cooper Cronk helping him for a season?

franklin2323

Immortal
If Moga's rushing in is obvious and its hard to disagree with that assessment, the obvious question is why Cleary didn't do something about it? When JT had his arm dangling down in SOO2 commentators like Andrew Johns were very critical of the NSW halves for not targeting him. In fact Johns was angry at the lack of game smarts. The point being, its not just the coach who is responsible for adjusting the play as the game progresses.

I think the team has to take responsibility for the lack of game smarts and for failing to respond to what was in front of them at the time. That is not a set play. That is adjusting to what you see. The great halves do it all the time. JT would have had that sorted in a few sets and a try would have resulted.

Maybe its because our halfback is a rookie. Maybe its because our 5/8th is a rookie. Maybe its because reading the game is not a skill they possess. Who knows why?

In the off-season our coaches will need to work with the halves to get them to work out things like that. "When this happens, we do this. When that that happens we do something else" and so on. But you have to accept that even if they are coached, when the game is played at semi-final intensity then its the players who have to adjust on the run and make the calls. Of course Griffin isn't blameless, but he isn't the only one at fault, as Johns pointed out in his withering assessment of the NSW halves, the coach can only do so much.

Only time will tell if Cleary has the ability to read the game and adjust as he goes along. We forget, he is still a rookie playing the toughest position in the team. Unfortunately, other than Wallace, most of this season the other spine positions have also been rookies. How good would it be if we could get somebody like Cooper Cronk helping him for a season?

That is the thing for me. How long would JT or Cronk persisted with the same thing. If the centre is rushing in pound the 2nd rower then get the ball wider.

I have said it all year I doubt Brandy isn't teaching them stuff. Problem is in game situations we aren't going to a plan B. If Moylan goes we better make a play for Maloney or Cronk even getting 1 season out of them will help Cleary and the spine

kinghippo

Juniors
Well congratulations to griffin I guess.
I hope he kills it for the next 3 years and we don’t end up like the bulldogs have this year.

mxlegend99

Referee
Well we're stuck with him for the next 3 seasons. Hopefully we keep enough of our talented players to win despite having no game plans.

The best news is that we have shut the cheque book (supposedly) on signing players from outside of the club. We keep getting ripped off when we sign big name players and when we sign average first graders they are just holding out guys already here who deserve a shot before them.

Copperhead

Juniors
The best news is that we have shut the cheque book (supposedly) on signing players from outside of the club. We keep getting ripped off when we sign big name players and when we sign average first graders they are just holding out guys already here who deserve a shot before them.

Amen.

Royce is King

Juniors
MX .... Do you really think a bloke can be a head coach at 2 nrl clubs and not have game plans?.... sometimes its better to say nothing!

Latest posts