What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Griffin feeling the heat?

Vic Mackey

Referee
Why do people get so defensive about their team? You'd think I'd run over a Dragon's player with my car.

At no point did I suggest the Dragons have done anything untoward, I merely pointed out how incredibly fortunate they've been with the way the draw has fallen for them.

I agree to an extent. I could be mistaken but I don't think they've left Sydney yet have they? That's pretty fortunate coming into round 9.

They also had 3 weeks in a row where they played a team missing their (arguably) best play maker.

roofromoz

First Grade
Besides, you sack Hook and who is your coach? Jason Taylor is free........

If Gus was to swallow his pride and admit that Hook is too quite tired and needs a rest (big, big IF), I would like to see someone from within the club, say Garth Brennan or Cameron Ciraldo.

But Gus would probably offer Taylor a 5 year contract, and not bother interviewing anyone else, just like he did with Hook.

Big Pete

Referee
It would be one thing if the Dragons were barely scraping by against these bottom sides, but they've been playing good footy and against the 'good' teams like Cronulla & Sydney they either won or took the game into golden point (minus their main playmaker, which apparently is a death sentence...). They'll drop off and will be fighting for a place in the 8 now that Widdop is out for an extended period, but I think @Canard's point still stands. It wasn't like anybody said the Dragons would be 6-1 to start the year, no way.

Let's not forget how difficult the Dragon's start to 2016 was either. Melbourne (A), Cronulla (A), Souths (SCG), Penrith (H), North Queensland (A), Brisbane (A)...and everybody was ripping into them because they weren't blowing any teams off the park. They were due for a more forgiving start...

betcats

Referee
If Gus was to swallow his pride and admit that Hook is too quite tired and needs a rest (big, big IF), I would like to see someone from within the club, say Garth Brennan or Cameron Ciraldo.

But Gus would probably offer Taylor a 5 year contract, and not bother interviewing anyone else, just like he did with Hook.

Brennan surely could step in, he has been around a long time and had success coaching the junior grades across multiple seasons, if we don't win tonight it has to happen. There is literally not one area we have improved as a team since last season, we seem to be going backwards in most areas actually.

Valheru

Coach
Unfortunately for Panthers fans, their team is the 2017 entrant for the team that everyone said would be top 4 based on a strong finish to the previous season but have completely bombed (so far at least).

See Parra 2010, roosters 2011, Warriors/Tigers 2012 for some other perfect examples.

betcats

Referee
Unfortunately for Panthers fans, their team is the 2017 entrant for the team that everyone said would be top 4 based on a strong finish to the previous season but have completely bombed (so far at least).

See Parra 2010, roosters 2011, Warriors/Tigers 2012 for some other perfect examples.

Yeah we are kind of aware of that already my friend.

adamkungl

Immortal
Mansour is missed. A quality winger in the modern game is very important to a team. Mansour got the team big hard metres at the start of the set, usually because Moylan handed it off to him rather than get dirty himself.

Moylan is a dead set pussy cat who doesn't like getting tackled. His 19 year old half back has to make all the attacking decisions why he sits back and does f**k all. How this guy is compared to Lockyer or in the SoO team is a f**king mystery.

Griffin needs to take the wrap for playing Cartwrong at 6. This turnstile is like moylan, a forward who doesn't like doing the hard stuff and so plays at 6 al though hes not a playmaker. He can throw a brilliant offload but throws 6 shit ones for every good one.

Cleary is only 19 but is expected to run the show. Wallace puts in every week.

Tamou is the biggest pretender in rugby league. Basically 6 foot 6 of dogshit.

Merrin is fat and uninterested.

Their young forwards are talented but with two 'leaders' like tamou and merrin doing f**k all you're going to get dominated.

Their seems to be a privileged few in the Panthers team who can week in week out play like pussies and not have their spot in the team questioned.

This is the best review of Penrith writtenso far. Nothing more needs to be said. More ego than heart

mxlegend99

Referee
Dragons are a legit top 8 side. But have been fortunate with the draw too. They have destroyed the shit teams and competed with the better ones for a close win or loss.

Panthers looked like a good win early on... but looking back they are pretty shit and Dragons win over them means as much as beating the Knights at this stage. Actually Knights play hard and force a team to earn it. Panthers are gutless.

I think Dragons will be around 4th to 6th by seasons end. Which is super impressive for a team with McCrone at 7. If they had Hunt now they are top 4 and possibly even a legit grand final contender... i would rest Hunt for that game though.

Hutty1986

Immortal
It would be one thing if the Dragons were barely scraping by against these bottom sides, but they've been playing good footy and against the 'good' teams like Cronulla & Sydney they either won or took the game into golden point (minus their main playmaker, which apparently is a death sentence...). They'll drop off and will be fighting for a place in the 8 now that Widdop is out for an extended period, but I think @Canard's point still stands. It wasn't like anybody said the Dragons would be 6-1 to start the year, no way.

Let's not forget how difficult the Dragon's start to 2016 was either. Melbourne (A), Cronulla (A), Souths (SCG), Penrith (H), North Queensland (A), Brisbane (A)...and everybody was ripping into them because they weren't blowing any teams off the park. They were due for a more forgiving start...

Fair sack of the sav Pete, your other half is Milford. Ours is Josh McCrone!

adamkungl

Immortal
Paullyboy's opinions on Rugby League are entirely based on which teams he really really hates because they're big bullies

Big Pete

Referee
Fair sack of the sav Pete, your other half is Milford. Ours is Josh McCrone!

Hahaha, I was actually talking about the Cowboys and how they were written off once JT was injured. I can see how you thought otherwise given how much I talk about the Broncos.

Paullyboy

Coach
Paullyboy's opinions on Rugby League are entirely based on which teams he really really hates because they're big bullies

They are? Good to know.

I actually really like the Dragons. They've got my favourite non-Raider player in Paul Vaughan. That bloke is a f*cking champ. And also, as I mentioned, it's good for the league when the Dragons are going well. Of course they do have that degenerate oxygen thief Packer - a bloke who should still be in gaol, so that sours them a bit.

I just don't think they are a particularly great team - I could maybe seeing them scrape into the bottom of the 8, but that'd be best case scenario.

SBD82

Coach
If he wasn't feeling the heat before, surely he is now.

He has a bunch of talented players looking absolutely awful. They look lazy in defense and clunky in attack.

It's a real shame. Last year's panthers were a joy to watch as a neutral fan.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Choosing Griffin should put Gus's position in jeopardy. Griffin showed nothing at the Broncos with the biggest budget in the comp to suggest he has what it takes. No justification for hiring him at Penrith.

beave

Coach
Fellas, can't we all just get along and join together in our hatred of the Broncos?

xrNtVe2C4PhF4NQuaFddYjhlFeOMS0Rut8zOih5EMI_LW_OqxF0x5_5sUCL8V4032T9Cwy8AWCH5Xcenf-4btlsWq7VqhXjmcE0vlb8=w500-h225-nc

davi

Juniors
Choosing Griffin should put Gus's position in jeopardy. Griffin showed nothing at the Broncos with the biggest budget in the comp to suggest he has what it takes. No justification for hiring him at Penrith.

Anthony Griffin in his first season did an amazing job with the Broncos, the team was in turmoil after Ivan Henjak was fired and Griffin was viewed inter-min coach. He led the team to 3rd spot and it was Darren Lockyer cheekbone injury that ended any hopes of a trip to the Grand Final. But yeah the rest of time he was at the Broncos they probably did underachieve despite suffering injuries. But a 53% win/loss record is nothing to sneeze at either.

King hit

Coach
Griffin also signed Milford, brought out the best in Hunt and introduced some very good youngsters to first grade who have become good players. He did some good and bad at the Broncos.