What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Griffin

Kilkenny

Coach
Griffith's had some pretty difficult challenges to face in his three years at the club so to guide us to two semi final appearances and on the brink of a third he deserves a pass mark at the very least. Like many I seriously doubt he has the tactical nous to take us to the next level, certainly not this season anyway.

Whino

Bench
The NRL started in 1997.

Still the same game 1998 season actually, but the Dogs won the GF from 6th in a 8 team final system in 1995. No one has done it since but its possible. I think it will happen again. History gets re written all the time.
We have already seen over the past few years teams from outside the top 4 make the GF on winning runs.
Cows last year from 8th, Eels 2009 from 8th. Someone one season will win from outside the top 4.

franklin2323

Immortal
I'll take this year over 2015. The players are working for the team better and they seem to come from reserve grade more polished.

Top 17 this year. 2015 depth was better. Api won a GF was backup hooker. Will Smith played in PF was back up as a whole squad 2015 was better. Top 17's this year is so much better

franklin2323

Immortal
Still the same game 1998 season actually, but the Dogs won the GF from 6th in a 8 team final system in 1995. No one has done it since but its possible. I think it will happen again. History gets re written all the time.
We have already seen over the past few years teams from outside the top 4 make the GF on winning runs.
Cows last year from 8th, Eels 2009 from 8th. Someone one season will win from outside the top 4.

I did the table predictor thing. Had Storm 5th, Us 6th, Sharks 7th and Broncs 8th. All of those teams can push if injuries are kind

mxlegend99

Referee
Top 17 this year. 2015 depth was better. Api won a GF was backup hooker. Will Smith played in PF was back up as a whole squad 2015 was better. Top 17's this year is so much better
Will Smith played a PF in 2014 because we had Peter Wallace, Tyrone Peachey, Bryce Cartwright and Isaac John injured before Will Smith was called into the halves.

That was his rightful place in the pecking order. Deadlast.

In the wooden spoon side this year he comfortably stands out as their worst.

TheFrog

Coach
No team has won the GF from outside the top 4.
Bulldogs 1995 from 6th, same finals format as now..

Also Broncos 1993 who were 5th in a 5 team finals format. It doesn't really count though because 4th and 5th had equal chance under that format.

Kilkenny

Coach
Will Smith played a PF in 2014 because we had Peter Wallace, Tyrone Peachey, Bryce Cartwright and Isaac John injured before Will Smith was called into the halves.

Will Smith has been pretty decent this season although his last couple of games weren't his finest. Played well enough to earn himself a new two year deal.

TheFrog

Coach
As I've pointed out before, and for all his deficiencies, Will Smith has managed to carve out an NRL career of sorts. There is a reason for this, which good judges are aware of. He is capable of making a line break, which in turn can lead to points. It has happened too many times to be coincidence. This is a most valuable asset in this game.

In that 2014 finals series, Moylan could have played at 6 and DWZ at 1, but Cleary preferred Smith.

franklin2323

Immortal

We still had all them in 2015 though. So we still had plenty of depth

Abacus

Juniors
Some might be. We all having varying opinions. It wasn't what I was doing which is the post martie replied to.

The outs are irrelevant. As I said we should be much better prepared for the injuries this year compared to when Ivan had it. We've done our rebuild, fixed our junior pathways and Gus proudly talks about Panthers being a development club. By default Griffin has a huge advantage over Cleary.

Mmm, are you sure?

franklin2323

Immortal
As I've pointed out before, and for all his deficiencies, Will Smith has managed to carve out an NRL career of sorts. There is a reason for this, which good judges are aware of. He is capable of making a line break, which in turn can lead to points. It has happened too many times to be coincidence. This is a most valuable asset in this game.

In that 2014 finals series, Moylan could have played at 6 and DWZ at 1, but Cleary preferred Smith.

plenty of options to move Moylan sooner yet people forget that

mxlegend99

Referee
Will Smith has been pretty decent this season although his last couple of games weren't his finest. Played well enough to earn himself a new two year deal.
Eels have the worst recruitment and retention in the NRL . Even Bulldogs have seen their mistakes and are working to fix them.

They thought an $850k contract to a broken down Watmough was a good idea.

They compounded that by cheating the salary cap to add Keiran Foran also.
Theyve thrown overs to get Mitch Moses at the club. Based on his flashy games and zero consistency
Theythrew overs at Corey Norman to keep him after his drug scandal knowing damn well what sort of person he is off the field..

They have a pisshead in Michael Jennings at the club also (which is fine if he were the only one) and think Blake Ferguson of all people is a good signing

But wait they've thrown overs at Paulo to come home.. and he was part of the Segeyaro snd Norman downward spiral

Only rumoured at this stage, but theyre supposedly interested in Segeyaro too.tjose 3 need to be reunited.

Lots of good individual players in the right environment. But I expect them to continue the Eels down this path of disaster. They need personalities like Yeo, Cleary, Merrin etc.(off the field personality I mean) to help fix their culture.

Despite all that Will Smith is still their worst signing.

Eels have the worst recruitment and retention in the NRL . Even Bulldogs have seen their mistakes and are working to fix them.

They thought an $850k contract to a broken down Watmough was a good idea.

They compounded that by cheating the salary cap to add Keiran Foran also.
Theyve thrown overs to get Mitch Moses at the club. Based on his flashy games and zero consistency
Theythrew overs at Corey Norman to keep him after his drug scandal knowing damn well what sort of person he is off the field..

They have a pisshead in Michael Jennings at the club also (which is fine if he were the only one) and think Blake Ferguson of all people is a good signing

But wait they've thrown overs at Paulo to come home.. and he was part of the Segeyaro snd Norman downward spiral

Only rumoured at this stage, but theyre supposedly interested in Segeyaro too.tjose 3 need to be reunited.

Lots of good individual players in the right environment. But I expect them to continue the Eels down this path of disaster. They need personalities like Yeo, Cleary, Merrin etc.(off the field personality I mean) to help fix their culture.

Despite all that Will Smith is still their worst signing.

Latest posts